home making an auxillary switch panel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

home making an auxillary switch panel

I'm starting to build my own water resistant switch box for my 5 switches i have in my truck. I have front KC daylighters, side fog lights, front strobe lights, back strobe lights and my BWM switch. I also have my amp hooked to a switch but I like where that is so it stays.

First off is the supplies:
1. 1 or 2 depending on how many switches 3/4" romex connectors.
2. plastic outdoor 2 gang electrical box
3. 18 or thicker gauge wire
4. switches
5. silicone
6. screws
7. paint
8. plastic gang box cover

(pics will be coming shortly)

Fisrt you must find a suitable and easily accessible spot for the switch box. since i have the xls I have the big open floor space where the full center console usually is so mine is going there. Then run wires from all switched items to box location. I'm going to run all of mine up under my console and come into the back of the box so no wires will be visible. All wires must go through some kind of bushing into the box and i chose a 3/4" romex connector as it can be tightened onto the wires. Leave enough wire to come up at least 3 inches off the top of the box. Connect all wires to switches with stay-con connectors if thats what your switch uses. Once they are all connected push them into box making sure no metal from connectors touch. Then mark out all hole where your switches will be and keep them nice and orderly. Drill holes with bit corresponding to your switch (usually 1/2"). Install switches with a dab of sillycone and silicone the bushing connector and fasten to truck. Turn on equipment and enjoy =]

pictures will be coming as soon as i actually do this =p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Subscribing. Can't wait to see how this turns out. I have 7 switches in my cab. Have considered doing something like this many times, but I'm not sure where I would mount it. Keep us posted! :thumbsup:

Post pics once it's done I'm interested in how it turns out. I will at some point be adding more lights to mine.

it'll be getting started monday as i'm out of town tilll then

Subscribing........

well no true start but i have picked out the switches i want from radio shack, i like the sporty look. Also I've decided to add dummy lights for all switches so I can know for sure whats switched on and not.
pRS1C-4563530w345.jpg

pRS1C-2266426w345.jpg

i apologize everyone for the delay as i am very very short on change and even though this is a cheap mod i just don't have it this week so build will probibaly resume wednesday so hang in there =[

update

i wanna see the progress

You gonna mount relays on the back or hide the somewhere else?

heres some eye candy till he gets going again.
http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff334/johnt52990/explorer/DSC00224.jpg

my 2m for ham
cb "i just use the pa feature"
and my switches
far left are the driving lights in the grille
next is the front end strobe lights
middle is the rear end stobes
next the the dirrectional bar in the rear window
and on the far right is a main so i can turn all of the strobes on and off together

well all of my stuff is wired i just want it all to one spot and organized i started on the box with the one switch i've got so heres a few pics
DSCN0227.jpg

DSCN0228.jpg

DSCN0229.jpg

DSCN0230.jpg

DSCN0231.jpg

Back