Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Homemade 4 Inch Body lift Questions

Discussion in 'Modified 1995-2001 Explorers' started by nerdplanet, April 29, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. nerdplanet

nerdplanet New Member

City, State:
    Valparaiso , Chile , Southamerica
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2002 Sport 4wd
    Last night i was thinking about making a 4 inch Body lift for my 02 Sport , i have made body lift kits before on my lathe , i got some 3 inch diameter HDPE bars to make a custom Body lift for my Samurai , but then i tought about which kind of problems i could run into during the install , my main concern is about the Transmission extender .. do i need a transmission extender if im running an Auto transmission ? anyone has a photo of it ? ..

Last edited: April 29, 2014
  2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. rickybobby

rickybobby Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Battle Creek, mi
    '97 XLT
    the steering extension will be the biggest problem with function, followed closely by radiator drop brackets. the other concern would be safety. there is a reason there are no mass marketed body lifts taller than 3"

4. Bruces expo

Bruces expo Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Middle GA
    91 Mazda Navajo
    I think a 4" body would require a good amount of ( home made ) engineering with wiring , lines,hoses steering etc . I would search on here for the 3" that people do on the 2nd Gen. before you make anything on the lathe , which is awesome that you have that machine ! haha.

5. 96ex5.0

96ex5.0 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    canyon tx
    96 explorer 5.0 4x4 5spd
    I did a home made 2" and I can tell you 4" is going to be way to much work and will not look right. You bumpers will either look really tall if you make them or the factory ones will be above the frame. I wouldn't go past 3" let alone the safety issues with going that high on a body lift. For steering shaft check out the link in my signature.