Homemade safari rack mouting question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Homemade safari rack mouting question

kstrayhorn

Reaction score
City, State
Landmark, Little Rock, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
So i am making my own safari rak. My problem at the moment is the mount to the roof rack. With the materials i have now ot would be easiest if i could mount it vertically straight up And down like the 2nd gen roof racks are instead of horizontally like my third gen rack is. So if i got a gen 2 rack would it be directly compatible with my gen 3 explorer?
Thanks in advance,
Kendal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nobody knows??? I figured somebody would have to know about this kind of thing.

I must have worded the title badly, I'll try again with another title...

Multiple posts on the same topic is bad forum etiquette. Also expecting an answer right away is as well. Hang tight. Someone will answer.

Sorry I just wanted an answer before the junkyard closed today but I'll wait now.

Sorry I just wanted an answer before the junkyard closed today but I'll wait now.

Try searching the archives. Site has been in existence for a long time.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have a 2nd gen rack if you need one, but I don't know about compatibility.

Threads merged.

Thanks, IZ, and Celly, I will do that right now!! Somehow I keep forgetting about the search feature...

And David, thanks for the offer, but I am going to go down to the salvage yard, which is literally 1 block from my house either today or this weekend and take some measurements to see if they will work. I would take you up on it, except that I fear shipping will be outrageous.

I will be sure to post the results of my research!

Sorry for any trouble I caused, Iz.
Kendal

Not sure I understand your question, but I had a 2nd gen and now have a third gen and the roof racks stricke me as entirely different, however, my memory may be off on this item.

I would be interested in seeing pics of your Ex when you are done, should be interesting.

Back