Honest opinions of your Explorers? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Honest opinions of your Explorers?

We had a 97 Explorer and switched it for an 03 Trailblazer. A good switch IMO. The EXT version has 3rd row seating.

we looked at the trailblazer a while back - one thing that stood out to me that I didn't like was the VERY shallow cupholder. Seems minor but the wifey likes to order the largest possible drink...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i hate my ex. for supposedly being americas's #1 suv, whatever. so many damn problems with it. almost done paying it off after that buying something better.

i hate my explorer. gas milage sucks, cheap looking interior, i just regret ever buying it. problems galore.

My overall opinion is the Explorer is a good vehicle. It's nothing really exceptional, but good. Engines and transmissions have been average as far as reliability goes. I manage a used car dealership, and we see less problems with the Explorers than we do with the Blazers/Jimmys and Jeep Grand Cherokees, which are probably the closest competitors.

My '04 has been trouble-free so far. It rides very good, and is very quiet inside. The Audiophile premium audio system is one of the best factory systems I've ever heard.
The minor maintenance I've done to it has been easy. Plugs were a breeze compared to the Durango I traded for it. All six are pretty much right out in the open. I don't think it took me 20 minutes to do all of them.

It does have a few things that I've labeled "Ford-isms". They're annoyances, but not failures or anything that's really a problem.
-The transmission shifter has no feel to it. Going from Park to Reverse feels like you're snapping off a twig. Also, the rubber boot around the stick is starting to wear thru.
-The brakes feel like absolute mush. The Gen II Explorers had awesome brakes, but these are lackluster, at best.
-The torque management system on the transmission is nothing short of bizarre. It actually feels like the PCM is stepping on an imaginary clutch pedal between gearshifts. I'm guessing it was a twofold thing to keep the tranny lasting longer, and to deliver a smooth shift. It's anything but smooth. Having the power suddenly drop off as it shifts is frustrating.
-The "drive by wire" throttle is just stupid. It works well on mine, but it's just pointless over-engineering.

Other than those few little gripes, I really like it. Compared to the Durango, I don't think it has as much "sex appeal" to it...The Durango was a better looking vehicle, IMHO. Ford tended to play it safe with a rather bland design, but it's worked for them. They appeal to the masses. It seems like every 3rd or 4th vehicle I pass on the road is a Gen III Explorer.

Would I recommend one to a friend? Definitely. I don't think GM can even hold a candle to the overall quality and reliability in these. The problems we see with the Blazer/Jimmy and TrailBlazer/Envoy are far and away more extensive than anything with the Explorers. My boss is a die-hard GM fan, but he tends to buy more Explorers and Mountaineers than GM SUVs just because the Fords don't come back with problems nearly as much.

Edit: One last little gripe/annoyance/design flaw I thought of...The front seat belts cut into the plastic around the B-pillars if you put your belt on like most people by just reaching behind you and pulling it across. The only way this is avoided is if you look at the angle of the webbing as you pull it out. Both my B-pillar trims have little angular cuts in them where the seatbelt webbing rubs on them.

I'm on my 2nd Explorer. First one was a 2003 XLS Sport 4X4 and we had more than our share of problems with it (sold it with only 45K on the clock). All the problems below were handled under warranty except the brakes, belts, and steering rack.

-Water pump went at 28K
-Front transaxle had to be resealed twice
-Steering rack leaked fluid
-Rear end vibration at 63-66 mph related to the driveshaft being unbalanced (Ford reindexed it and that helped some)
-For some reason (likely pulley misalignment or some other issue), the 03 needed a fresh serpentine belt every 15K or so to keep the belt quiet
-Windshield visor mirror covers hung down when you used the visors
-Front rotors and pads replaced (normal wear)
-Recalled for rear hatch strut
-I believe there was some other recall as well

I bought the 03 from Carmax and I suspect it had been wrecked although there was nothing obvious I could point to. Just too many things going bad on the front end of the car, hence I suspect it had been smacked and fixed. It was an OK car, but just way too many issues for such a new vehicle. I bought the 2005 XLS Sport 4X4 from an individual I know with 17K on the clock. This one has been trouble free thus far, so I'm hopeful that I've got a better example of this model than the 2003 turned out to be.

As a buyer, you just cannot beat the Explorer on price in the used car market. As far as SUV's go, there is no other that depreciates as fast as an Explorer. Based on what I found while shopping for my 05, they lose about a third of their value during the first 18 months of ownership. As some of the other guys mentioned, an equivalent Pilot will easily run up to $5K more for a car with identical features. The Pilot will most likely be more trouble free, but dollar for dollar, the Ford yields better value IMHO.

There are SUVs that depreciate much faster than the Ford Explorer. The Gen I ('98-'03) Dodge Durango is a prime example. They're as expensive as an Explorer when new and similarly equipped, but give each one 5 years and comparable mileage, and the Durango will be worth quite a bit less.
I blame most of this on the poor MPG they get. A Dakota will hold its value better than the Durango, but people buy a truck generally because they need one, hence a stronger demand.

Want to talk about the absolue worst resale value of any vehicle? Look at a used Kia. Drive one off the lot, and they're worth half what you just paid for it.

The Explorer, like most Fords, depreciate rapidly just because they build so many of them. Supply and demand. Look at any dealership, or search Auto Trader, and for every one SUV of another brand, you'll probably find 5 Explorers.
The Chevy guys like to throw that in the face of Ford fans when it comes to fullsize trucks, but they don't realize you can buy the Ford cheaper when used just because there's more out there, and the market is more saturated.

more explorers the better. i personally went out and looked to find another. i loved my 02 and i love my 05 now. until i have lots of major problems with it, i will be happy.

my explorer has driven very smooth and with both my explorers, it seems htat i have no complaints. aside from the escalade or denali i have been in (they cost alittle too much for me) i like the explorer as much. dont need leather seats and a home entertainment center, and though those two ride like your on clouds, i still like the explorer for the price. a v6 is all i need now and the size is perfect. it sits 7 but i dont feel like i am riding a cruise liner....

Another advantage of an Explorer is because they make so many of them, they're all but invisible out on the road, or parked somewhere. This is a big plus if you have some psycho stalker ex-GF or similar situation (not speaking from experience, BTW) it's harder to spot than a more unique vehicle.

Another advantage of an Explorer is because they make so many of them, they're all but invisible out on the road, or parked somewhere. This is a big plus if you have some psycho stalker ex-GF or similar situation (not speaking from experience, BTW) it's harder to spot than a more unique vehicle.

I agree. They are all but invisible. The 03 I sold was the dark green color, so it blended in to the surroundings to the point that it didn't stand out at all. The new (to me at least) 05 is silver and sticks out just a little more

Im on my 3rd Explorer. Only the 94 gave me issues. Its tranny went out in Colorado, and one of its pullys seized in 115 heat on the freeway.

I had a 2000 Sport, other than it being too small, it was great.

My 05 XLT has been great. Onlly issues is the rear windows no longer roll down. Im under warranty, so they will be fixed.

I do notice the fly by wire delay, but it is no where near 4 or 5 seconds, at least on mine. Only thing it needs is a moonroof. The 4 wheel drive is awesome, it kicks in a little early, but I have found that is a benefit when its really needed.

I think if you had looked for a used 06 or 07, or maybe even went for a new one, that they have a split 3rd row, and some of them are power fold down 3rd rows.

I plan on keeping my 05 for a while. Ive done too much to it for me to sell, but when I do sell it, I plan on getting another explorer, unless gas gets too much higher.

'02 Eddie Bauer Explorer: fortunately bought 100k extended warranty soon after purchase new. It now has 105k miles on it with a puzzling variety of problems that only recently cropped up:

1. Rear Axle Bearings crapped out at 95k. I thought it was the tires but no, and were replaced under the extended warranty saving me like $500.
2. 4WD light started blinking around 98k, found out 4WD module was bad, replaced under extended warranty saving at least $250.
3. After 4WD module replaced, noise and vibration on any grade in 4th or 5th gear that went away when you let off the gas very slightly but RPMs didn't change. I originally suspected the transmission's overdrive but now dealer says it's either the wheel speed sensors or clutch pack in front axle. They said they've seen it alot in '02 models and replacing tranny fluid in front end usually does the trick even though it's not listed in the regular maintenance schedule. They did this under the warranty but I had to buy the tranny fluid. It didn't help and now they say that Ford won't cover fixing the speed sensors or the clutch pack even though the problem was reported while still under warranty. As it never seems to snow any more in my area of TN, I may have them disconnect the 4WD module, since the problem didn't start until after they replaced it.
4. The plastic panel under the rear liftgate glass cracked badly right down the middle while still under the extended warranty. They said it was because I didn't use Ford windshield cleaner?! Turns out the epoxy/plastic used in this part is defective and most have cracked according to the dealer's body shop guys. The vertical spiderwebbing crack is much worse in cold weather due to contraction. This happened around the time of the recall due to the design of the liftgate hinges. They said they'd only replace the panel if they broke the glass during the retrofit to the new design hinge. Seems that the upper liftgate is all glass with the panel glued onto it. $250 to replace it otherwise. A blatant manufacturers defect that they won't cover outside of the original all over warranty.
5. 4.6L V8 has adequate power but abysmal mileage: 15-16 city, 16-18 highway. Block is same as Mustang but only has two valves per cylinder instead of three which makes a big difference in performance.
6. Engine since new has a very distinctive rattling sound accelerating unless you're really punching on it up to about 3K rpms. One old timer at the dealer said it was due to the design of the coolant channels in the block, others wouldn't talk about it other than to say it's just the way the 4.6L sounds. Hmmm? At 105K, it still sounds like it did when it was new.
6. Cruise control went screwy awhile back with controls becoming skewed and resume or accelerate inoperable.
7. Compass has major error and seems to be a pain to recalibrate.
8. Sound system was one of the best of any factory system I've heard, even better that my brother's Escalade but now the CD player is erroring and won't eject any CD's, even after doing the trick of placing another in the slot to unstick the ones that wouldn't eject and give CD error when turning it on even when it's one FM radio setting. This seems to be a very common problem to this model. If I could figure out how to get the unit out, I'd replace it.
9. Driver's side sun visor seems to have lost it's "grip" and won't stay up at all. It falls down in the way on any kind of deceleration and I don't see any way to shim it to stay up like you could on older designs. The lighted vanity mirror covers on both sides have went bad and falled completely off driver side and flops down on passenger side when the visor is folded flush to the windshield.
10. Seat heater has died on the driver's seat.

All in all, I guess this is an okay vehicle but I wish that I had put out a little more money and bought a new Toyota Landcruiser.

:thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

I bought my '02 about a year and a half ago with about 85k on it. It now has 111k on it. I have had very few problems out of it. I had to replace the battery but that is gonna happen on any car. I had a caliper replaced when I did the brakes done. I had to buy a new ignition switch because my old one broke. The only other things I have done are routine maintenance like oil changes, trans fluid flush, differential and rear end service. I did a lot of maintenance stuff since I did not know its history.

It runs and rides great and is great for my family of six. The third row is fine for my 12 and 14 years olds. It is a little hard to access with both car seats in place but they are limber. The V6 is more than adequate to my tastes. I have towed a small trailer and it was a breeze. It gets between 16-18mpg around town depending on traffic and such. I have gotten 23mpg on an interstate trip when I was alone in the car. Loaded with kids and luggage it is more like 21mpg.

My only complaint is that head room with the sun roof is lacking. I am not very tall and I still rub my head on the roof fairly often.

My only complaint is that head room with the sun roof is lacking. I am not very tall and I still rub my head on the roof fairly often.

neither am I. I am at 6' and I dont rub on the roof. is your seat adjusted to the lowest position?

Never had a problem with headroom. I'm 6' 00" too. There's not quite as much headroom as there was in my Durango, but much more than my Cherokee. The Jeep Cherokee (XJ) was quite cramped inside.

:thumbsup:

I got introduced to the Explorer back in '98 when I traded my '96 Mustang GT in for it when I was planning to move back north and be in the snow.

It was a '98 XLT with leather seats, 4x4, 4.0l engine and I put that thing through it's paces - it was a true workhorse for us and never let me down.

I moved an entire house of furniture (including refrigerator), all mattresses and box springs, etc.. in our 98 - all by hand, everything went in the Explorer..

Then numerous trips from Florida to New England with various weights worth of computers, bags, etc, etc.. NEVER a problem with that car of ANY kind.

Traded it in in 2000 for an 00 Explorer Limited because I liked how it looked, slightly softer seats, better stereo, etc. Loved that car too.

In 2003, got a beautiful black '03 limited explorer, options, design changes made it attractive and this time got the v8 4.6l engine. :cool: Still have it, love it, just changed the tires to Goodyear Fortera Tripletreads.

I have absolutely loved each of the explorers, they fit me very well, suit my needs, make me comfortable and do everything I ever ask them to.

I have also found the moonroof thing an issue for my 6' frame, but back when I first discovered the issue, I just slightly changed the way I sit, hasn't been a problem since.

If they made an Explorer with Prius hybrid mileage with v8 power, I wouldn't own anything else, EVER. :confused: :D

I think the Explorer is great, if they'd make one that looks a little sportier from the factory like that Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, I'd probably make that my next car :salute:

Opinion.......I wouldn't trade my 1st gen '94 Limited for any other 4x4......it took me thru 2 provinces of Canada w/o any problem at all & thru a Maine blizzard that you couldn't even tell IF some1 was in front of you at 60 mph no problem.....(couldn't slow down, was too slick to get up the hills if I did....:) ...) If u ever need/just want a 4x4, Explorer is the 1 u want mate :) I brought it to England with me when I came over here :)

All vehicles have a reliability which is directly related to the maintenance of the vehicle. If it is not taken care of, it will cost tons more as it wears and ages.

If you spend good money on needed maintenance and on items which should need help soon, you should not break down. I have coworkers who buy new vehicles and/or swap/sell them often, and they constantly have problems. The things which they have fail I have foreseen and took care of on mine before anything went bad. I drive my cars for many many years without having any major problems. Thus I spend very little on repairs.

My example from at work includes about 80% of those failing vehicles being Japanese - Toyotas, Hondas, and Subarus. The manufacturer of the vehicle has nothing to do with failures that occur after years when a part should have been taken care of far sooner. I'm talking about brakes, ball joints, all kind of suspension parts, cooling system parts, windows etc. etc.

There are hundreds of choices to make between American vehicles, there is no need to even consider a vehicle from an Asian manufacturer. All profit from a vehicle sale goes to the country of origin of the manufacturer. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Subaru etal, those send 100% of profit to Japan.

I am proud enough to be American that I do not buy Asian vehicles. Those countries do not have our best interests in mind. European companies are far more friendly to us then those in Asia. Think hard about your choices for such expensive items as an automobile, where does the money go? Take care,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't say anything about the new ones, but my '96 is a very reliable, sturdy vehicle. The only major problem that I have had was when my belt broke, and that was my fault for not paying attention to it. I am very happy with mine, and at about 160,000 miles, it is still running strong. I hope to keep it for a long time.
Have you decided on what one you will be getting yet?

Back