List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

If it's definitely corrosion underneath the paint which is causing it to blister, I'd scrub the paint off to show the corrosion and then take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The corrosion warranty only covers complete rust through's (perforation). Defects like
That are cosmetic and only covered under the 36/36000 mile part of the warranty.

"(3) Your vehicle’s body sheet metal panels are covered for an extended
Corrosion Coverage Period, which lasts for five years, regardless of miles
driven. The extended warranty coverage only applies if a body sheet metal
panel becomes perforated due to corrosion during normal use due to a
manufacturing defect in factory-supplied materials or factory workmanship.
For damage caused by airborne material (environmental fallout) where
there is no factory-related defect involved and therefore no warranty − our
policy is to provide free repair of paint damage due to the airborne
material for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first"

Has anyone else had an issue like this?
Have you read any of the other (multiple) posts/threads on paint bubbling & aluminum corrosion? They have a lot of information and discussion

Call ford this is a known issue and they will help.

Call ford this is a known issue and they will help.

Still cost me $500 to get it fixed since I was one year out of warranty even though only 32k on the vehicle.

This is a known manufacturing defect, though since it is not a safety issue, Ford is not forced to do a recall and fix for free.

Even though Ford did me a "favor", $500 is till a LOT of money out of pocket to fix a defect that never should have happened where Ford has no idea on how to properly prep and paint an aluminum hood.

Totally unacceptable. My 2011 Explorer with only 50k has been in for the following (suspension on drivers side, suspension issue on passenger side, axle replacement, wiper sensor, backup sensor, fuel sensor, media center issue).
Now it has the paint bubbling on the front of the hood and under the hood lip. Called Ford Customer Service, they gave me a case number and said to wait to hear from the Dealer. Asked the Dealer twice about this and still waiting for a response. I do have the Ford ESP, not sure how they will ultimately handled this manufacturer defect, will keep you all posted.
When I made my purchase 2.5yrs ago on this vehicle with 17k, I wanted to believe in Ford and give an American car company a chance. After all these issue I wish I stuck with a Toyota and can only hope that Ford service makes up for things by coming through on this.

Very shocked bubbling on paint on hood of 2012 Explorer

My family is a FORD car family. We have a conversion van, a F150 Truck, a Escape, a Taurus and a 2012. 4x4 Explorer. The 2012 Explorer is my second Explorer and even when I donated my first one due to old age, I never saw any imperfections in the paint job. All of our vehicles have served us well.

Today after washing my 2012 Explorer I noticed a small area with what looks like bubbling or flaking paint. I have seen this before on very old cars and junk cars ......but never on fairly new cars that are well kept. When I purchased my car I also purchased the factory clear coat finish with this vehicle to keep the car's paint job looking great. So needless to say I was shocked when I noticed the imperfections on the hood of my SUV.

My first reaction was to contact the clear coat people to make a claim. But prior to even seeing a picture of the issue I was advised it wasn't their problem. I have approx 46,000 miles on my vehicle so I don't believe it's still covered under Ford's warranty.

I decided next to research this issue myself only to find several complaints listed on the internet indicating that this is a FORD problem.. Where do I go from here? I shouldn't have to pay for a factory defect!:thumbdwn:

Defects can show up at any time and you are correct, you should not have to pay for it. However, their defects are only covered for 3yr/36k and I doubt you will get much help from Ford. Unfortunately, manufacturers set a time frame for defects... no one covers them forever.

Defects 3 year /36 warranty

Yes that is right. But that type of customer service is exactly why people buy foreign cars. My family attempts to support USA car manufacturers such as FORD even though they maybe actually outsourcing to other countries for parts etc. I refuse to believe that Ford would willingly ignore complaints regarding a factory defect from loyal customers. I am hoping that is not the case. Fingers crossed.

Yes that is right. But that type of customer service is exactly why people buy foreign cars. My family attempts to support USA car manufacturers such as FORD even though they maybe actually outsourcing to other countries for parts etc. I refuse to believe that Ford would willingly ignore complaints regarding a factory defect from loyal customers. I am hoping that is not the case. Fingers crossed.

Unfortunately, my experience is that Ford does not distinguish between loyal and first time customers.

I can understand Ford needs to set clear warranty coverage criteria, to avoid warranty abuse, but it should not get to today's level, where Ford keeps a blind eye to obvious quality issues and hide behind tight warranty criteria.

I can understand Ford needs to set clear warranty coverage criteria, to avoid warranty abuse, but it should not get to today's level, where Ford keeps a blind eye to obvious quality issues and hide behind tight warranty criteria.

Completely agree with this!! A 3-5 year old vehicle should not have paint flaking or bubbling, I don't care how many miles are on it. IF it is bubbling, it was a process issue in the painting/prepping of the vehicle. Should not be the customers fault even if it takes a few years to show up.

I have the hood bubbling too. I tried to touch it up to seal the cracks at the edge and then spilled my touch up paint all over my grill. It was a sad, sad day.

WUSA 9 is addressing this issue lodge complaints with them

I have registered my complaint on line. Just search WUSA 9 Ford blistering and peeling on some models. Apparently the police department cars are also showing this defect and they have also complained.
Www.wusa9.com/story/news/2015/05/07/ford-blistering-bubbling-peeling/70912214/

As stated before there is strength in numbers. I am requesting that my hood be replaced.

I have said it before and will say it again, it's all blah, blah, blah.
You need to start posting photos of your bubbling hoods, a picture is worth a thousand words, here is mine again:
My 11 year old passat does not have this issue.
The explorer has always been garaged kept, waxed twice a year.
7mbwtd0.png

I have pictures too

Unfortunately I am unable to post my pictures in this forum. But would gladly post them where ever appropriate.

Well, I paid Ford a $500 "discounted" price for a new hood repainted top and bottom when I found the paint bubble issue. 1 year out of bumper to bumper, but only 32k miles.

This was several months ago. If this new hood was not properly prepped when they knew about the issue for some time and I get more bubbles I will blow a gasket.

It's shame as the link mentions your paint job not outlasting your car payments.

Me, I pay cash for 2.5 year old cars coming off lease so I have 6 months or so bumper-to-bumper and a couple of years powertrain and I look to hold that 2.5 year old vehicle for 8 years or more is I can. My Ex will be a primary driver for about 4 years and then became a secondary vehicle that only gets a couple thousand miles a year. My previous SUV I did the same thing with was a GMC Jimmy that lasted 16 years. Clear started to go on the roof year 14. That is reasonable and I let it go on a vehicle that old.

I just don't have faith in my Ex holding out like that. I presently have two Ford's and can't see myself buying one again. The paint is mint on my 12 year old Saab.

Unfortunately I am unable to post my pictures in this forum. But would gladly post them where ever appropriate.

You can always open a free account at tinypic, dropbox or flickr. You upload the pics there and they will give a link to it you can post here.

Thanks on posting pic information

Thanks again... I am researching making a BBB complaint.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FACEBOOK Group soliciting numbers for classaction

I just found a group on FACEBOOK named "Ford Mercury Peeling Paint Complaints" they are inviting ford owners that are experiencing bubbling hoods and cracked tailgate panels to join them. This is in an effort to get recognized by Ford. Apparently this paint defect issue has been a known problem since 1992 and it normally shows up once the 3 year warranty has expired. I have learned more about this issue as well as possible solutions.

Back