List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 36 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Not a bad idea to keep an eye on it over the years as some have had the bubbling start again after having it repaired.

I would imagine if they prep'd it enough they could get it right. However, I wonder if the issue is only remedied with a new hood after being contaminated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just purchased a 2015 Explorer XLT with 21160 miles, listed as CPO by the dealer, who is located @ 100 miles form my home.

Unfortunately, since this is my first Ford purchase, I did not know of the hood corrosion issue before I looked at the vehicle. The sky was heavy overcast when I looked at the vehicle and I did not notice the areas of corrosion under the paint along the hood edge. After two days, I saw the corrosion while the vehicle was parked in the open and had direct sunlight.

The largest area is @ 4.25" in length and is over 1/4" wide above the bottom edge of the hood. This entire area of paint is ready to flake off if a little pressure is applied.

I know the sales game, but I am disappointed that the dealer had the vehicle in their possession for over 4 months and it "passed" the CPO inspection. I have contacted the seller to express my disappointment.

I am going to a local dealer and I hope this will be covered under the 3yr/36K warranty.

I just purchased a 2015 Explorer XLT with 21160 miles, listed as CPO by the dealer, who is located @ 100 miles form my home.

Unfortunately, since this is my first Ford purchase, I did not know of the hood corrosion issue before I looked at the vehicle. The sky was heavy overcast when I looked at the vehicle and I did not notice the areas of corrosion under the paint along the hood edge. After two days, I saw the corrosion while the vehicle was parked in the open and had direct sunlight.

The largest area is @ 2.25" in length and is over 1/4" wide above the bottom edge of the hood. This entire area of paint is ready to flake off if a little pressure is applied.

I know the sales game, but I am disappointed that the dealer had the vehicle in their possession for over 4 months and it "passed" the CPO inspection. I have contacted the seller to express my disappointment.

I am going to a local dealer and I hope this will be covered under the 3yr/36K warranty.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't know if paint is one of the CPO inspection points or not but don't forget the inspection was likely carried out 4 months ago and the bubbling may not have been as bad at that time or missed. Who knows. Anyway, have a look at this link; http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...explorer-tsbs-ssms.343204/page-2#post-3544247
Good luck.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't know if paint is one of the CPO inspection points or not but don't forget the inspection was likely carried out 4 months ago and the bubbling may not have been as bad at that time or missed. Who knows. Anyway, have a look at this link; http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...explorer-tsbs-ssms.343204/page-2#post-3544247
Good luck.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks - I looked at the TSB yesterday. I spoke with the dealer today and received profuse apologies, with assurances that they will cover the repair under warranty and give a loaner vehicle during the repair.

Also, the Body Shop manager said that he was aware of replacement hoods exhibiting the same corrosion after some time, so it sounds like a crap shoot.

Peter,

Thanks - I looked at the TSB yesterday. I spoke with the dealer today and received profuse apologies, with assurances that they will cover the repair under warranty and give a loaner vehicle during the repair.

Also, the Body Shop manager said that he was aware of replacement hoods exhibiting the same corrosion after some time, so it sounds like a crap shoot.

Update: The dealer's body shop made the repairs to the hood. All of the corrosion that was visible on the front and under the lip of the hood is no longer apparent, and the repair is not noticeable. Also, the body shop got a good color match. The dealer also provided a loaner vehicle while the Explorer was in for the repair.

This is how my hood looks after 3 years. Dealership has said they will try to help out with the cost of repainting but Ford is silent. I guess this is how Ford thinks paint should work.
IMG_1976.JPG
IMG_1975.JPG
IMG_1975.JPG

Is anyone else having similar issues?

Dealer says it is a common problem.
I made the mistake of driving the car too far in too short a time.
My tires lasted longer than my paint job.

Maybe this will help, a post from blwnsmoke:

Thread title: Aluminum hoods now covered for 5 yrs, unlimited miles

"Not sure when this started but found this posted on the Ford site I belong to in the 2016 warranty guide.

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford...ck-Warranty-version-1_frdwa_EN-US_03_2015.pdf

"If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage, and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident, customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles."

blwnsmoke, March 19, 2017ReportTop of Page"

Sounds like it took them five years to find or admit to this problem and I don't doubt based on complaints and now they are covering the hood paint only going forward? A mistake is a mistake and it sure seems like this warranty should be retroactive back to 2011, for those owners that have corrosion or rust damage, assuming no abnormal usage occurred.

Sounds like it took them five years to find or admit to this problem and I don't doubt based on complaints and now they are covering the hood paint only going forward? A mistake is a mistake and it sure seems like this warranty should be retroactive back to 2011, for those owners that have corrosion or rust damage, assuming no abnormal usage occurred.

I completely agree with this. They should retro it back on all Explorers that have this issue. It is a BS cop out to give a start date of when they decide to do this especially when this has been ongoing since the 2011 MY. Although mine has bubbles underneath with no peeling or flaking, at this point I'd have it repainted on Ford's dime.

Now that I extended my warranty to 156,000 miles last week, I'd do it just so I don't have to worry that it would start in the next 3 years.

This is how my hood looks after 3 years. Dealership has said they will try to help out with the cost of repainting but Ford is silent. I guess this is how Ford thinks paint should work.

Please do not create duplicate threads/posts. They belong in the thread that contains the same topic. Yours has been merged and deleted so there is only 1 copy in the current paint bubble thread with all replies combined into this one.

Maybe this will help, a post from blwnsmoke:

Thread title: Aluminum hoods now covered for 5 yrs, unlimited miles

"Not sure when this started but found this posted on the Ford site I belong to in the 2016 warranty guide.

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford...ck-Warranty-version-1_frdwa_EN-US_03_2015.pdf

"If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage, and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident, customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles."

blwnsmoke, March 19, 2017ReportTop of Page"

The way the hood paint issue is handled by Ford and their dealers is a betrayal. Like in the movies "You Dirty Rat"

Is the word paint in this new warranty??

My hood is star cracked and blistered. Since it's an '08, I consider them age spots. I figured, UV , and the heat took their toll

Dealer just called me. I have a 13 Sport with bubbles. 96000 km and Ford is picking up the bill for $900.

Thanks Ford! For backing your product

Dealer just called me. I have a 13 Sport with bubbles. 96000 km and Ford is picking up the bill for $900.

Thanks Ford! For backing your product

Ford not backing up all products.

I just got this from the dealer:

The hood repair will be about 700.00 It will take about two to three days. Let me know when you can bring it in for service.

Thanks

Eric Munnilal

Service Director

203-391-9135

eric@stamfordford.com

upload_2017-5-5_10-43-31.png

^^^I wonder why they dont like you??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford not backing up all products.

I just got this from the dealer:

The hood repair will be about 700.00 It will take about two to three days. Let me know when you can bring it in for service.

Thanks

Eric Munnilal

Service Director

203-391-9135

eric@stamfordford.com

View attachment 96922

Did they submit to Ford or is the dealer just trying to charge you? Is the dealer aware of the new warranty?? Does the warranty date back to any vehicles that are less then 5 years old?

Your reply doesn't really tell us much.

Back