List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 47 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Same problem. 2016 Explorer Sport. Very disappointed. $50k+ Vehicle and this happens in 2 years?!?!?
Welcome to the Forum Matthew.:wave:
At least yours is covered by the warranty. I don't know why Ford hasn't found a resolution for this issue yet.:dunno:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have heard dealers are sending pics to ford and they are only approving repaint, not replacement and repaint, like the latest TSB update stipulates.

For those going through this now, please post up whether Ford approved replacement hood or just repaint.

Hello everyone...I'm back after almost a one year hiatus!
Ford will try to weasel out of a full hood replacement, so you must be persistent with the dealership's bodyshop to request a brand new hood.
I received a new hood, but now waiting for the Explorer decals!

Our 2016 is bubbling and has peeled very slightly in one area (not as much as pics above). Ford took some pics and never heard form them again. Service Manager said they probably wouldn't do anything about it.

Our 2016 is bubbling and has peeled very slightly in one area (not as much as pics above). Ford took some pics and never heard form them again. Service Manager said they probably wouldn't do anything about it.

Go to a different dealership.
I recently had my MY2016 hood replaced with a brand new one from Ford.

Go to a different dealership.
I recently had my MY2016 hood replaced with a brand new one from Ford.
You're still around I see. Began to wonder. I think its been more than a year between posts.:)

Peter

Stay after them because it will only get worse. You have a 5 year, unlimited mileage warranty on the hood. Perhaps they are waiting until it gets worse knowing that it may happen again.

Peter

You're still around I see. Began to wonder. I think its been more than a year between posts.:)

Peter

Hi Peter :)
Without getting into too much details, I have completely given up on Ford and only coming back to help share my experience with all of these systematic issues.
Vehicle is currently in the shop for a brand new transmission, PTU and ETB, at just shy of 37K miles (60k km).
I'm at my third dealership now (which appears to genuinely committed at helping me out, without the run around) having driven from one end of the city to the other.

After this repair, I will be selling my MY16 Sport.

Hi Peter :)
Without getting into too much details, I have completely given up on Ford and only coming back to help share my experience with all of these systematic issues.
Vehicle is currently in the shop for a brand new transmission, PTU and ETB, at just shy of 37K miles (60k km).
I'm at my third dealership now (which appears to genuinely committed at helping me out, without the run around) having driven from one end of the city to the other.

After this repair, I will be selling my MY16 Sport.
Sorry to hear that but I appreciate you checking in from time to time to assist members. Good luck.

Sorry to hear that but I appreciate you checking in from time to time to assist members. Good luck.

I will share all of my experience, both good and bad.
Back on topic in regards to the hood corrosion issue.
I had to be very persistent to get a new hood, as the dealership wanted to "repair" the defect at first.

I have heard dealers are sending pics to ford and they are only approving repaint, not replacement and repaint, like the latest TSB update stipulates.

For those going through this now, please post up whether Ford approved replacement hood or just repaint.

Hello everyone...I'm back after almost a one year hiatus!
Ford will try to weasel out of a full hood replacement, so you must be persistent with the dealership's bodyshop to request a brand new hood.
I received a new hood, but now waiting for the Explorer decals!

I will share all of my experience, both good and bad.
Back on topic in regards to the hood corrosion issue.
I had to be very persistent to get a new hood, as the dealership wanted to "repair" the defect at first.

I just joined the club... very small area over one light on the very edge. It is about a 1/4 square and is starting to crack along the edge... Just over the 3 yr Bumper to Bumper but well within the 5 yr....

Dealer said they were replacing the hoods earlier but recently they have been instructing the dealers to repair the areas and "seal" the panel seams under the hood. They are sending pics off to Ford and will wait to see what they come up with. The dealer admits the correct way to deal with it is to replace the hood and even that it is simpler for them... get hood, repaint it, and install. The repair is much more complicated for them and the while the repairs usually last, once a hood has one area start, there are usually more to follow.

Anyone that was successful in getting them to replace the hood, can you share how you did it? Or what your argument was to get then on board? Also is it worth contacting Ford before they settle with the dealer?

Any help would be appreciated...

Pete

I just joined the club... very small area over one light on the very edge. It is about a 1/4 square and is starting to crack along the edge... Just over the 3 yr Bumper to Bumper but well within the 5 yr....

Dealer said they were replacing the hoods earlier but recently they have been instructing the dealers to repair the areas and "seal" the panel seams under the hood. They are sending pics off to Ford and will wait to see what they come up with. The dealer admits the correct way to deal with it is to replace the hood and even that it is simpler for them... get hood, repaint it, and install. The repair is much more complicated for them and the while the repairs usually last, once a hood has one area start, there are usually more to follow.

Anyone that was successful in getting them to replace the hood, can you share how you did it? Or what your argument was to get then on board? Also is it worth contacting Ford before they settle with the dealer?

Any help would be appreciated...

Pete

My hood was replaced less than a month ago at that time Ford was trying to force a repair instead of a replacement, but both myself and the dealership "stood our ground".
I'm not sure how much I can help, as the dealership is already on board with you to replace the hood?
I believe this new change is due to allocation of hoods, as it took nearly 3 weeks to get a new one in and I'm still waiting for the hood decals to arrive.

Edit: not sure if it helped my case, but I had more than 6 spots along the edge, under the lip, under my clear 3M vinyl wrap etc...

I am worried they will try to minimize it because the damage right now is minimal.
I think the dealer is behind me but don't know if they will really fight Ford if it comes down to it.

I am trying to find out what argument anyone used to convince Ford to change their mind.

The only idea I have is to present a copy of the TSB that specifically states the preferred way to fix the issue is to "Replace the panel". The TSB states the procedure to prepare the panel for painting but it doesn't even mention repair as an option.

I want to be ready to fight this so let me know if you have any other ideas.... especially ones that have worked...

Thanks
Pete

I am worried they will try to minimize it because the damage right now is minimal.
I think the dealer is behind me but don't know if they will really fight Ford if it comes down to it.

I am trying to find out what argument anyone used to convince Ford to change their mind.

The only idea I have is to present a copy of the TSB that specifically states the preferred way to fix the issue is to "Replace the panel". The TSB states the procedure to prepare the panel for painting but it doesn't even mention repair as an option.

I want to be ready to fight this so let me know if you have any other ideas.... especially ones that have worked...

Thanks
Pete

I suggest to also try different dealerships.
Some has more pull than others.

One other question....

It seems the favorite option of owners is to get a new hood... but a friend mentioned there is no guarantee the new hood is better and could even be worse than the one on the car????

Has anyone who has gotten a new hood had the problem return on the new hood?

One other question....

It seems the favorite option of owners is to get a new hood... but a friend mentioned there is no guarantee the new hood is better and could even be worse than the one on the car????

I will let you know after this winter season!

One other question....

I know that members who have this issue repaired had it return again later. Can't recall if it was on a replaced hood or not. The posts would be in this thread. Since the issue still exists, I doubt any changes were made to the hood and because Ford is now recommending fixing the issue instead of replacing the hood it is probably because of the expense Ford is incurring by doing replacements is more than repairing them. $$$ factor.

Peter

One other question....

The reason for the new hood is because the paint pealing is due to the hood being contaminated during prep/paint. From pastbdiscussions, once contaminated, it can't be fixed therefore repairs of hiods that just were repainted had the same issue. Ford then issued approvals for replacement hoods and prep/paint procedures needed to be followed to not get contaminated.

I do not recall anyone having it happen again on a new hood.

I was just at my local dealer last Friday to have pictures sent to Ford. My 2017 Sport only has 8700 miles and has about 5 spots along the edge of the hood. As of today, no word back from Ford yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, just got word that Ford approved me for a new hood.
Dealer said they will order it and they have the new instructions that include the proper prep/paint procedures as well as the extra sealant at panel seams. I assume they will paint it well before I bring the Explorer in and it should be a quick hood swap.

We'll see how it progresses...

Also again, if anyone who has had the hood replaced can jump in and say whether they had more issues... I would appreciate it.

I have seen comments from those who had the repair done that it reappears but it seems that there are few comments from those that had a replacement hood. I hope that is a good sign that this is the best way to correct this issue....

Back