Hood Scoops

Pjibs

Reaction score
City, State
Wittenberg University
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Sport Trac XLT 4x4
Hey guys,

I've found some pics of peoples trac that have hood scoops on them and I have to say they look pretty slick. However, my question is is that are any of these hood scoops functional or just for show? I've been meaning to get my hood repaired and repainted due to a previous accident, so I thought if I could couple a scoop in it would be worth it. So that's just my question to everyone, is your scoop functional or for show. And are what are the benefits/disadvantages to it.

Thanks guys, happy Tracin'
J.B.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have also been wanting a hood scoop for my st. so if any1 knows where you can get one please send a link to where u can find them at because i have yet been able to find one thnks

All the ones Ive seen are just decoration.

Google Sport Trac custom hoods, image category. You'll get alot of different decorative scoops, or as I like to call them "hood stickers", I hate these things. There are offroad racing companies that make fiberglass custom hoods but their pun on style and fairly thin, not really for daily driver use. I'll post some pictures later when I get home.

I will say that I like the fiberglass Mustang style hood scoops a lot of folks have installed. I think EE was selling them. I'm not a fan of the "generic,double stick-on" scoops.

None of them are functional.

EE Mustang scoop

i know my truck is a 92 and your hood is completely different but the concept is the same.i used those "cheap ugly stick ons" but riveted them and fiberglassed them and made them functional.i think they look sick,better than paying $800 for a fiberglassed hood.just to give you some options ;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320475

none if they are not functional!:rolleyes:

none if they are not functional!:rolleyes:
But even if they are "functional", what are the benefits?

Ram air effect? Cauz that doesnt pan out any measurable benefits until maybe twice or three times highway speed.

Lower under hood temps? What if its 2 degrees cooler under the hood? What good does that do? The engine bay is already getting drenched in fast moving air from in front and underneath the vehicle.

But even if they are "functional", what are the benefits?

Ram air effect? Cauz that doesnt pan out any measurable benefits until maybe twice the highway speed.
Lower under hood temps? So what if its 2 degrees cooler under the hood? What good does that do? Remember that the engine bay is already getting drenched in fast moving air from in front and underneath the vehicle.

i would guarantee my filter gets twice the amount of air it did before.2 degrees,try like 15 to 20 sometimes more.also the engine compartment does not reach outside ambient temp till around 35-45 mph roughly and its still pulling a 190ish degree temps through the radiator and being sucked out from under the truck.it also brings cooler air in from outside that hasn't been through the radiator and helps push the hot air down out under the truck,creating a air stream.they also let hot air out when your sitting at a red light or at a stop.in my situation i have found the engine compartment to run colder,fans don't run as often and i don't get that lag that you get when you've been driving around in town and its real hot and your not moven all that fast.

Sorry just got home but not on laptop to upload pictures, I'll upload them first thing in the morning. I plan on raising the powerdome and making it into a cowl induction setup but for reverse effect, heat extraction, was also thinking of welding in a set of Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 heat exstractor vents style scoops. Cowl induction won't work for todays vehicles as well as the older vehicles because the windshields are swept back and are set back further. I'll upload a photo shop picture someone did a while back of what I'm planning on doing.

Interesting! I think I will just feel "better" about adding a scoop if it provides some beneficial purpose to the trucks performance rather than being a glorified bumper sticker. I would love to see some more pics of "functional" hood scoops and whether or not people did a DIY cut, or if they went somewhere to get it done. I guess I just gotta mull it over and keep researching.

Thank guys for the responses, keep the discussion going!
J.B.

btw ncranchero, link did not work.

Pj, check out the mysporttrac.com, there's alot of threads and pictures on this very subject. I'll post pics in the morning of what I plan on doing to mine when I find the time.

btw ncranchero, link did not work.

Does now.

JD, you did an awesome job on your ""cheap ugly stick ons""as you quoted. Much better than ripping off the double-sided tape and slapping them on. I guess the term functional has a wide range of meanings. Maybe functional is eye appealing or, as in your case, engine compartment cooling, or a mod that makes you happy, IDK..... Functional in my day was a scoop that forced outside air into an isolated chamber around the air cleaner such as on CobraJet Mach1's/Torinos, Super Sport Chevelles/Camaros, etc.

It's your thing, do what 'cha wanna do ........

And are what are the benefits/disadvantages to it.
Benefits: It looks nice and/or different. This can be a matter of opinion.
Disadvantages: Wax might stick in around the edges, cost of getting it painted.

AFAIK no one has a functional scoop. The only way to do that would be to put the scoop down on the front right corner of the hood where it might look kinda silly.

So JD, how exactly did you get those scoops attached to the hood?

Ok so I said i would post some pictures of different styles people have done in the past.

Here they are...
Shaker hood kit, they don't sell these anymore..

picture.php

Mustang bolt on hood scoop, EE sells these as well as other places...

picture.php

Mustang hood extractor style, a member on the ST site had this done to his 2nd Gen ST...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Todd placed this cowl-induction scopp on his to see what it would loo like...

picture.php

This is a photoshop of what I have planned for mine.
It's the factory hood powerdome raised up for a cowl-induction style...

picture.php

Does now.

JD, you did an awesome job on your ""cheap ugly stick ons""as you quoted. Much better than ripping off the double-sided tape and slapping them on. I guess the term functional has a wide range of meanings. Maybe functional is eye appealing or, as in your case, engine compartment cooling, or a mod that makes you happy, IDK..... Functional in my day was a scoop that forced outside air into an isolated chamber around the air cleaner such as on CobraJet Mach1's/Torinos, Super Sport Chevelles/Camaros, etc.

It's your thing, do what 'cha wanna do ........

thanks.yes i agree even in my day those are the only true ram air hood cars ;)i thought about doing it like that but i 4x4 and dd it and couldn't find a easy way of keeping water out :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back