Hood Struts ?? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hood Struts ??

You are comparing a Explorer to a Police Interceptor SEDAN not a UTILITY. The UTILITY uses a prop rod as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I was shopping for my Explorer, I opened the hood and thought how cheap a prop rod made the vehicle feel. Wondered where they cut costs elsewhere. Anybody investigated installing struts?

You are comparing a Explorer to a Police Interceptor SEDAN not a UTILITY. The UTILITY uses a prop rod as well.

I did not know that.

When I was shopping for my Explorer, I opened the hood and thought how cheap a prop rod made the vehicle feel. Wondered where they cut costs elsewhere. Anybody investigated installing struts?

You can't be serious? How many owners do you think really care how the hood is propped up? Doesn't cheapen the vehicle in any way in my opinion. Too many nit picky people demanding "perfection".....please be mindful that it also starts off as a $30K vehicle...I suppose you feel that a $30K vehicle should also have struts....

I am shocked that a prop rod is such a point of frustration :burnout:

Me too! :eek: If anything, it is lighter and won't fail after 8 years. It doesn't seem like a big deal, I can't imagine that most owners are working under their hood that often.

I had the prop on my 2011 Ex and now have the struts on my MKT. Really couldn't care less about which one I have or don't have.:)

Peter

My $110K 2010 Nissan GT-R had a prop rod.

It didn't lessen the vehicle in any way!

I bought a 2016 Explorer 2.3T Elite version in China one month ago, kind of Limited version in US. And surprised there is no hood struts for such a expensive vehicle. After a series of tax, I spent almost 80K USD for this car.
I tried to search a upgrade part on internet, then I found a lot of people have same complain here. Finally I found one on Taobao(You may heard about it, it's ebay in China) with around 25 USD. Here is the final result. :)
IMG_20160630_165557.jpg
IMG_20160630_165605.jpg
IMG_20160630_165619.jpg

Welcome to the Forum Eric.:wave:
Thanks for posting. It appears there is just one strut. Is that correct?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Eric.:wave:
Thanks for posting. It appears there is just one strut. Is that correct?

Peter
Yes, only one strut. There is no room on the other side. But it works fine.

my 2015 did not come with struts.. I am going to look at the interceptor and see if it does and if so copy it.

As indicated, your thread has been merged with this existing one found using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature.
I don't do much work on my engine compartment but those struts would seem to be more of a hindrance when working from the sides than the prop rod or struts that are fixed to the rear of the compartment.

Peter

Interesting. Has anyone installed these?

Wow- Redline is in my town. I will get in touch with them this Fall...

Hopefully redline comes out with some nicer hood struts for our explorer!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hopefully redline comes out with some nicer hood struts for our explorer!
Ford has them but for some reason they are not adding them to the Explorer. See my post 11 for pics of them on my MKT.

Peter

Back