Hood Struts ?? | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hood Struts ??

Yes,@Stillwater, but how can I (in Germany) get a Redline ? Hope they are able to int. shipping...YES, they do ! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At long last. Looks like a nice easy install.

It will be interesting to see how a hood that isn't designed with this kind of strut installed holds up to multiple closings..

Remember the old Chevy Blazers in the 70's all of them had a crease where the hood would buckle when you tried to close it if you didn't keep the hinges lubed.

This is probably the difference between good design and something that sort of fits. The Redline appear to mount farther out than the one in the above photo. I put a set in my 14 Mustang and had no issues with them.

It will be interesting to see how a hood that isn't designed with this kind of strut installed holds up to multiple closings..
Remember the old Chevy Blazers in the 70's all of them had a crease where the hood would buckle when you tried to close it if you didn't keep the hinges lubed.
Haha, that reminds me of my '72 Chevy Monte Carlo hood, it would bend if the hinges were not lubed.
I put Redline struts on my 2013 Ford Fusion, they were a solid, well fitting upgrade.

To Daheim111, I would recommend removing them because they could damage your hood if they aren't designed right.

Did you have to drill holes for the install?

This is probably the difference between good design and something that sort of fits. The Redline appear to mount farther out than the one in the above photo. I put a set in my 14 Mustang and had no issues with them.

I agree completely.

@Nasty: no drilling... But: the hood clamps are not so solid as these from Redline...and the left strut goes over the fuse box and is in contact with this box / not good !
Stay in contact with the chinese eBay sellers / until now normal communication / awaiting the "last" answer...today I come to remove this "construction" !

You guys realize that their kit is something you could relatively easily fabricate yourself? Pick up struts in the length and tension you want, buy compatibly sized ball studs which are about $4 at auto parts stores or $10 a 4 pack on Amazon.

The one on the hood in their design is just a ball stud, a washer, then you'd put another washer and lock nut on the back.

The strut tower end is just a ~ 3/4" wide piece of metal with a 90' ear bent up. They pressed a ball into theirs but a threaded ball stud would work fine there too. If you're not into metalworking, don't have a metal brake to make the bend or good way to cut it, you could just use some aluminum angle which can be worked with common woodworking tools and you may be able to find some scraps locally for cheap if not free, something like the following:

https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=976&step=4&showunits=inches&id=62&top_cat=0

My example is wider and thicker due to needing a little more aluminum to be as strong as steel.

Some people like buying a kit where someone else had all the headaches of coming up with the right parts even if it cost more than what they could do it themselves.

I am one of those. While I enjoy fabricating up things that I need there are times that it is just easier to let someone else do it and buy it from them.

Some people like buying a kit where someone else had all the headaches of coming up with the right parts even if it cost more than what they could do it themselves.

I am one of those. While I enjoy fabricating up things that I need there are times that it is just easier to let someone else do it and buy it from them.
Sure, except when you can't because it's not in stock and who knows when it may be, and stay in stock. Then again it's not a critical part so I can understand waiting.

Just ordered / me too !

What? No group buy?

What? No group buy?

I didn't even think to follow up on that after RL was taken off the forum for not getting a sponsor vendor membership. I have a small window to work a few mods to my car, while my family is out to my in-laws, so I just pulled the trigger.

Well I hope that there will be a group buy offered, at $180 + shipping CND I'll manage to survive with the prop-rod or a broom stick if the rod is in the road.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I hope that there will be a group buy offered, at $180 + shipping CND I'll manage to survive with the prop-rod or a broom stick if the rod is in the road.
I figured that if you go for the Elite one then with shipping, conversion and tax you would be looking at $241.10 CDN today.

Peter

Back