• Register Today It's free!

Hood trying to initiate liftoff..

MistahYebba

Reaction score
City, State
Clearwater, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
Trucks fallin’ apart… I’m fallin’ apart right along with it lol… it has been my biggest investment in my short life of 20 years so far and it’s also been quite a disappointing one so far.. problem after problem, breakage after breakage… I just limp it along everywhere I go and deal with it ‘cause it’s all I have..

Someone, please, tell me what the name of the hooky thing is on the underside of the hood that the hood latch.. latches to.

Mine broke off from I guess closing it too often.. go figure.

Well, I was driving to work today being optimistic that the weight of the hood would be able to hold itself down on the short drive… I was wrong.

The hood flew up and nearly broke through the freakin’ windshield! Luckily, I don’t think there was too much damage but I had to get to work so I didn’t get to look real well. I think it closes funny now.. but regardless..

Ugh I don’t even know what to do >.>

Are hood pins made to hold your hood down? I need something that’ll work. Zipties aren’t gonna cut it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Safety latch? You mean the one that you have to release -after- popping the hood from the inside?

Someone on here did use pins. Looked pretty cool. But if you want to replace the latch, salvage yard is cheap.

Yebba... you really shouldn't be driving this vehicle. It doesn't even run properly and it's a real safety liability.

But yes, as Wolfie said, go to a junkyard and pick one off of a Ranger/Explorer/Bronco II.

You never mentioned how much you paid for this truck. Maybe there was a good reason the last owner got rid of it.

So let me explain guys..

Last night my hood didn't latch and I noticed it bouncing a bit while driving to the gas station.

It was pouring too heavily to bother with it so I simply went inside and went to bed.. It was late.

This morning I tried looking at it again and I came to the conclusion that it must have been broken.

No amount of jumping on it, pushing it down, or anything would make the latch latch onto the hood...

I couldn't find any pictures of Explorer hoods so I didn't know what it was supposed to look like, but I imagined that the latch attached to a sort of metal hook...

Well, because I was imagining there was supposed to be a metal hook there on my hood, I was very disappointed to see that there WASN'T one.

I gave up trying and decided to drive to work... and I was driving slowly!

I knew my hood was loose and bouncy so I was driving with relative caution... but never did I think 45MPH was enough to make the hood slam upwards. Of course, this is my first experience with this stuff so it might sound like common sense to you guys, but it wasn't. Forgive my ignorance! :)

So, as you can imagine, the hood came slammed up against my windshield and scared the ###### out of me. I calmly pulled over to the side of the road and put my hazards on. Of course I was scared...but what are you gonna do, right?

Now my hood was all messed up and that's why I posted this.. hoping someone had some advice.

Well, I drove home during my lunch break VERY SLOWLY THIS TIME... and proceeded to take the hood straight off.

I then drove straight to the junkyard to grab a new hood.

Of course, on my way to the junkyard, it started raining heavier than it ever has here in Florida, just shooting gallons of rain into my engine bay. Yesssss.

Parked under a tree in an effort to keep it as dry as possible and ran through the muddy junkyard ruining my shoes and getting soaked.

Found a hood and was sinking in the mud trying to take it off. Looking at all these hoods, I realized there was never a metal hook thing to begin with! My hood wasn't missing anything dangit!

Carried the heavy freakin' hood along with my toolbag back through the junkyard and was taken advantage of--paying a whopping $70 for the freakin' thing... this hood is ugly, too. Had to break in to my savings to afford it.

Obviously it's still pouring rain and I was soaked so trying to balance the hood and screw it in at the same time and keep it aligned was nearly impossible....

So I just kept it on there with 2 screws and drove to the gas station right around the corner very carefully.

I used the cover of the gas pump roof to put the hood back on.

As you can imagine, it's not fun to put a hood back on by yourself.

Anyway...

I put this hood on and, just like the one last night, the latch wouldn't latch to the freakin' hood.

No matter what I did, jump on it, punch it, swear at it...nothing would make this hood closed. I thought I just wasted $70 on a hood and the hood wasn't even my problem.

WELLLLL.... some kind soul comes along and says "Hey, everything alright?"... mind you, he's driving a Ford truck as well. :)

I tell him I just put a new hood on and the freakin' thing won't close.

After looking at it, he explained to me how the latch works... and then he told me to go pull the hood release lever in the car...

*POP*

The hood lock was locked, and pulling that hood release made it... well, release.

After doing that, the hood closed up right away.

This makes me wonder if my old hood was just being blocked by the hood lock last night...

If I had just went and pulled the hood release lever it might have fixed it.

However, now it's too late. I've already paid $70 for a much less appealing hood, and my old hood is all bent up from slammed all the way back.

---------

Man oh man, I really had a bad day today.

I'm thinking about buying one of those yellow paint marker things that they use at the junkyard and marking my old hood... then bringing it in as if it was the hood I bought today..

Maybe they'll give me a $70 refund. :)

buuuuuut who knows where to find those markers in the right color.. :p

Ugh.
[MENTION=85020]vq5speed[/MENTION], I spent $1200 on it. All of these problems have appeared weeks after having it, I can't imagine he had many issues with the truck.

Owning an older vehicle is a learning experience. You end up having to replace things, you notice quirks, you see things people have done to it that might have been done cheaply or sloppily. But you'll have good days and bad.

The question to ask yourself before you get too far in is whether you want to deal with the things that come with an older vehicle. If you put a few grand into this thing and end up unhappy with it anyway, well, a few grand gets you something else.

Sorry to hear about your luck. I hope you get it in good shape so you can enjoy actually driving it without any hiccups.

Back