Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Hooking DVD headrests to existing Sony system

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods' started by Andrew13, July 7, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Andrew13

Andrew13 New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2013 Ford Explorer LTD
    Hi all,

I'm new to this forum as I've just purchased my first Ford (2013 Explorer Limited). Anyway, I've done a search on this topic and did find an old thread, but didn't seem to get an answer to my question, so I'll ask it here.

I am looking at various headrest DVD players and monitors and I've come across a set of Alpine headrest monitors that I like. Anyway, is there a way to run headrest monitors/DVD players into the existing Sony system in the front of the Explorer, so that I can pop a DVD in the front and it will play in those back seat monitors on the road? Does anyone have a picture of the back of the Sony/Nav units in the front? Just wondering what it looks like and if there are any available ports before deciding which route to go.

Another option would be to run them to a small DVD player box that would be mounted inside the center console and pop the DVD in there for the kids in back. This is not my first option though.

Thanks for your help!
    Andrew

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Sgt1411

Sgt1411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    VanBC/GoodyearAZ
    2017 Explorer SPORT
    There is no way you can play a DVD in the my Ford Touch disc player because its a CD player, not DVD player. Sorry no blue laser in there.

The only way to get video from your headrests up to the MFT touch screen would be to get in behind the media hub in the centre console and tap in to the RCA connections. Red/White Audio and yellow video. Or maybe bring the video and audio RCA cables up into the media centre and you plug them in yourself each time you want to see the video.

But remember MFT won't display video when the vehicle is moving, only parked.

[​IMG]

4. Sgt1411

Sgt1411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    VanBC/GoodyearAZ
    2017 Explorer SPORT
    I have the OEM Ford Invision LT Series Headrest Installation Guide in PDF if you would like I can email it to you if you PM me with your email.

5. goofydisneydaddy

goofydisneydaddy Member

City, State:
    Falls Church, VA
    2012 Limited
    Sgt, does the manual say anything about how to hook into power? I thought I read somewhere that limiteds have power in the seat for the DVD player.

6. Sgt1411

Sgt1411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    VanBC/GoodyearAZ
    2017 Explorer SPORT
    If you PM your email I will send the document to you.

The power connection is NOT in the seat, that was someone guessing in an old post. The Dealership connected mine at the fusebox.

7. goofydisneydaddy

goofydisneydaddy Member

City, State:
    Falls Church, VA
    2012 Limited
    Thx, that's what I thought. I plan on connecting mine to the fusebox.

8. p6cl

p6cl New Member

City, State:
    Strongsville, OH.
    2014 Ford Explorer Sport
    PDF Manual for the install

Does anyone have the pdf install guide for the Explorer. I have a 2014 and looking to install these, but no manual in box. Thanks Ray