HOORAY!!!

VBVA

Go Dukes!
Reaction score
City, State
Northern Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL
I finally got my wheel bearings fixed yesterday! I posted a while back about the humming noise that was progressively getting louder coming from my front right wheel. Turned out my wheel bearing was shot. The front left side wasn't too far behind it, so I had both replaced yesterday (after I came up with the money to fixt them). I am sooooo excited! I can drive my Ex far distances again!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What did it run you to have them done?:D

For just the bearings?

Yeah. Bearings, grease, seals, labor, etc. Believe me, it was the cheapest place I could find in BumF***k Harrisonburg and I was not about ready to drive 250 miles home so my dad and I could do it in the driveway. So, Dallas Hollar Ford did it...

Yeah if a Ford place did it then I see why its high all the parts together only cost about 50 bucks:(

Ok so it is possible for the weekend mechanic to do this job? How hard is it on a scale of 1 - 10? How much were the parts and how long did the job take? Bare with me cause I don't know much about wheel bearings. Thanx.

I know, I looked over the invoice and parts were next to nothing. Its been getting worse and I didn't want to risk the drive home this weekend. I called a ton of places and most were $300 to $400 for both sides, but those are all National Chains. I don't trust the local mechanics up here just yet.

The hardest part of the job is pressing out the old and pressing in the new but any local machine shop can do it for around 30 bucks:D

OH geeze, new Timken bearings = $40
Time to do the job = 1 hour both sides.

I do mine twice a year, re-pack them, service the hubs, new grease seals.

$300 is WAY too much for bearings.....yikes, I am in the worng business......

Originally posted by 410Fortune
OH geeze, new Timken bearings = $40
Time to do the job = 1 hour both sides.

I do mine twice a year, re-pack them, service the hubs, new grease seals.

$300 is WAY too much for bearings.....yikes, I am in the worng business......
Did you read my previous posts at all? I am at school and just can't pull and service my bearings like you can in your driveway, so it left me with no option but to have shop do it. Either that or leave my Ex here forever...

Just be thankful you don't have the dreaded "late model sealed bearings/hub assy." What a pain. Ford wants like $300 per side! Not real easy but doable in the driveway.

VBVASploder:
I think you did the right thing. If you tried to save $100 and do it at your dad's and you destroyed something along the way, the same people here would tell you "why didn't you just spend a little more and know it was okay?". So I say you did right, and most importantly you are HAPPY about it! :)

Originally posted by VBVASploder
Did you read my previous posts at all? I am at school and just can't pull and service my bearings like you can in your driveway, so it left me with no option but to have shop do it. Either that or leave my Ex here forever...

Yeah you can... I'm sure that you park your truck in a big lot on campus some where. Use the bottle jack and the lug wrench... There is no need for a press or any thing, though a six inch piece of 2x4 is nice for hammering the seal on the back of the rotor.

I changed an alternator in an LTD wagon (twice), the radiator hose that runs to the rear heater in an E-250 extended, and a battery in the school parking lot. People look at you funny, but then you bend over and deal them some crack :mattmoon: while working under the hood... :D

Just ask here first next time and we'll tell you what to do. If you have a decent hand tool set in the truck (which you should as a student that drives between home and school) then you can do most simple repairs in the lot. If you're worried about screwing it up, find someone that knows about cars/trucks to give you a hand.

Just my two cents. I'm glad it worked out for you. Chalk this up as a learning experience... I've had lots of expensive "learning" experiences (10w40 as the oil for the two cycle lawn mower...that mower was old anyhow :D)

Dave

Thanks for the support GR899V8 and thanks for the info Big Dave. I have a huge tool box in the back of my Explorer at all times, put I wouldn't want to do the job without jackstands or my dad's watchfull eye there. So, I just paid and got it over with...

What were the symptoms of the wheel bearing going bad? My right side kinda hums a little when I turn to the right slightly while moving like more than 15mph...are my bearings shot?

scale of 1-10 is probably about a 2 or 3. and yes you can pull them off in a parking lot and do them I do them in my appartment lot ever so often

Ryan

Originally posted by VairKing
What were the symptoms of the wheel bearing going bad? My right side kinda hums a little when I turn to the right slightly while moving like more than 15mph...are my bearings shot?
VK - mine started off being a light hum in late July. On my last road trip about 2 weeks the hum was almost unbearable. I knew at that time that they were shot. Sometimes, you can just pull them and service the bearings instead of replacing them.

I think you did exactly the right thing. It's all very well others saying that you can do it easy on your front lawn with a tooth pick but if you have never tried before and you don't have that helping hand then your left with no choice and you made the right one. Don't let people put you down for making a decision. You did and got it bang on. In your shoes I'd have done the same myself. Well done and I'm glad it's now ok. All the best.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by VBVASploder
VK - mine started off being a light hum in late July. On my last road trip about 2 weeks the hum was almost unbearable. I knew at that time that they were shot. Sometimes, you can just pull them and service the bearings instead of replacing them.

Mine has been doing this since last december...maybe something to look into...lol

Back