Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Hopefully I did it right?

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by #1Aggie, September 29, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. #1Aggie

#1Aggie New Member

City, State:
      Houston, TX
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1993 Explorer XLT
      Today, I changed out my thermostat with a Motorcraft 197F thermostat. My old one was also a motorcraft.

One big question I have is what is the little ball check for and and what orientation should it be in. Looking into the housing, there was a gap between 11 and 1.

So, I guessed that is where it was supposed to go. And no I did not look before I yanked it.

Since I changed it out, my temp is now up from between the O & R to between the R & M.

What is normal? I changed it out because it would take forever to warm up.

One other thing I have noticed is now the temp guage does not drop until I start the engine back up and get circulation back.

Did I put it in correctly at the 12 o'clock position?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Texan01

Texan01 Active Member

City, State:
      Dallas, TX
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1995 Explorer XLT
      Check ball should be on top. It's there to allow for air trapped to get out.

OEM temp for the t-stat is 195 or so.

your temperature blend door for the HVAC system may be broken and not allowing it to go full hot.