hoping this the right forum first of all.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hoping this the right forum first of all..

kevinandyolanda

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer XLT
Vehicle Specs

PO320
PO171
PO174
PO731
PO1000
P1729
P1260

just a few... 70.00 diagnostic. Bought it for 800.00 guy sold it to us said a mechanic told him it needs a transfer case. The shop that ran the diagnostic, says to replace the transmission. Horn doesn't work, no radio or speakers...
I don't know much about cars or trucks - but my hubby knows a little more for sure. He's taking the day off today and try and get some work done... :navajo:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The horn/radio/speakers is probably a blown fuse. Check all the fuses/relays and make sure they are in good condition.

DTC Codes

171 and 174 could be from bad intake gaskets
731/1729 point to 4x4 low switch error, and a transmission error
1260 is for the theft system - theft detected, engine disabled
P1000 - OBD II Testing incomplete

Sounds like this vehicle has a lot of electrical issues.

I was referrered to a place that will rebuild the transmission for 1800.00 labor included suposedly. My question is will these other codes have to be taken care of first? Thank you for your response shadowless127!

Which engine does it have?

Does it run?

I'd deal with the 171 and 174, and the 1260 first before spending money on a new transmission.

ignore the 1260 if the truck starts.

the 1260 can be set just by using a non pats key.

as for transmission, if the engine does not run well, the trans will show it. so i would do engine first, then trans.

4.0 sohc engine @ bubba. truck starts "theft" blinks on the dash. my husband is going to try and describe how it drives( he's better at it) ;) @waskly should we get ford keys, & I guess switch out the ignition to clear the 1260 code? Is it possible to get the door code reset as well?

(kp)It cut's off every time I come to a stop..But sometimes when it has been running for awhile it will run good. I can tell when it's a bout to cut off.. so I've been shifting it in to neutral to keep it running then I would put it into gear and go(sometimes) And will have to restart it a couple times and then it will go...the engine sounds good and starts good. I need to know what(where i should start) I can do to fix these problems...Please HELP!

4.0 sohc engine @ bubba. truck starts "theft" blinks on the dash. my husband is going to try and describe how it drives( he's better at it) ;) @waskly should we get ford keys, & I guess switch out the ignition to clear the 1260 code? Is it possible to get the door code reset as well?

unless the car does not start, the 1260 does not have to be diagnose, it can be set when someone programed a key for it.

so someone could of put a key they have in there wallet, non pats key in the ignition, or they could of had a key programed, unless the car does not start and the red theft light is blinking fast, i would ignore the code for now, and deal with the others first.

door code cant be reset you can program your own code onto of the factory hard built code tho.

(yp) just to let ya'll know were were told by the previous owner that the transfer case was an issue from his mechanic(we don't now much about that) the previous owner instructed us to drive it in 1. it acts like it's in neutral when I pull it down into "drive" We have ourselves a mess here, but after 5 months footing it and taking the bus we were more than desperate...

I'm with Waskly on the 1260 - if the truck starts and runs, ignore that code for now.

Definitely work on the 171 and 174 before you spend any money on the transmission.

Since you have the SOHC, the very first thing to do is pull the upper intake, then pull both valve covers and inspect the cam chain guides. If those are broken, it's a big job to fix them and you should consider getting rid of the vehicle. If the guides are in good shape, you can replace the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets while you're in there, and check for broken / disconnected vacuum lines, etc. to fix the 171 and 174 codes.

the theft light is starting to blink faster and faster. we bought thew truck on Valentine's day and kevin (kp) has been doing lots of little trips about 5-15 miles per day in it.

I'm with Waskly on the 1260 - if the truck starts and runs, ignore that code for now.

Definitely work on the 171 and 174 before you spend any money on the transmission.

Since you have the SOHC, the very first thing to do is pull the upper intake, then pull both valve covers and inspect the cam chain guides. If those are broken, it's a big job to fix them and you should consider getting rid of the vehicle. If the guides are in good shape, you can replace the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets while you're in there, and check for broken / disconnected vacuum lines, etc. to fix the 171 and 174 codes.

okay, we are going to start there first(thank you for the advice)we want to get it to a shop by saturday before the truck STOPS starting :(

p0320 is pip signal missing. cam or crank sensor is bad and the vehicle can not detect cylinders. this will stall a vehicle, cause a trans issues, but the 731 is a hard fault vs the transmission internal slippage.

p0731 is incorrect first gear ratio, something internal to the transmission.

p0171/p0174 is a lean condition based on the vehicle if its a 4.0l 6cylinder it needs intake gaskets.

and the p1729 is 4x4 low switch cir malfunction, this is just a broken wire.......

what you really need to look into is p0320 and p0171/p0174 considering you are throwing a p0731 keep in mind the trans very well may need to be overhauled.

if the truck does not have a death rattle, then maybe its worth investing into it, if it does have a death rattle your looking into big bucks, on engine 1 or 2 k then on top of that about 2k for trans.

just going to throw this out, since it is alot of money needed.

That's what we came here for and we greatly appreciate it/needed wisdom...! It was probably very foolish of us to purchase it... But we were desperate, and figured we could tackle it. We are going to follow your directions and get back to youguys with an update asap. What is a death rattle sound like? lol! It sounds pretty strong, except for that noise I heard yesterday... hmm... We would have to put 1 0r 2k into another vehicle anyway, and we do have 1200.. to spend right now on it- is there a way to clear the 1260( even temporarily) as we are taking it to get temps this morning, and we would have to drive it to 3 different locations to get it started being worked on.

got fuses for horn, new windshield wipers, hubby at the muffler place told the dual intake /outtake(?) muffler has -exhaust leak- that he will "touch up" the weld as someone removed the catalytic convertor beofre and this will stop the leak so it'll pass for now. can be done for 300.00(new muffler) it would be 700.00plus to do the cats

where is the horn itself, changed fuses # 15 still not working it makes a ticking noise now when you push on it versus it was dead silent before.

waskly, how r u? thanks for replying he did change the fuse. when you push the horn, it just clicks. the passenger bag has been deployed in the past I think. SO maybe thta's apart of it...? We have to find a way to get it working to pass Missouri inspection to get tags to run to the shops.

well
the horn is I believe under the battery case in the fender. at least that is where mine was.

I would get the motor running right first. cats can be done at a later time when money is available unless you need them for state testing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well
the horn is I believe under the battery case in the fender. at least that is where mine was.

I would get the motor running right first. cats can be done at a later time when money is available unless you need them for state testing.

Back