Horn blares when ignition key removed! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Horn blares when ignition key removed!

mgs531

Reaction score
City, State
Clifton Park, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
My 2004 Explorer XLT was working just fine yesterday until I went to remove the ignition key at one stop and the horn continuously blared until I re-inserted the key and turned the ignition back to the ON position! It also appears the now the red light in the center of the windshield is always on as soon as I turn the engine off, which I think had only been coming on when I locked the doors. Anyway, it now is constantly blinking when the vehicle is not running, regardless of whether the doors are locked or unlocked, either by using the key or the button on the key fob. This factory-installed alarm mechanism must need to be reset somehow. I've tried disconnecting the battery for awhile but that didn't help. I was able to get it turned off by pulling out either one of the two fuses that show to be for the horn relay, but I really don't want to disable the horn. Right now my workaround is to always leave the key in the ignition, and lock/unlock the vehicle using the keypad access... I've just been searching the Internet for clues, and someone suggested to "press and hold the valed/override button found under the dash area", but I sure can't find anything there like he is describing. So anyway, this looked like a relevant website where knowledgeable people would be accessible, so I thought I'd give it a try... Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks, --Mark (mgs531)

If I had to guess, and this is a guess. It sounds like a problem with the panic feature of the alarm. For starters I would remove the batteries from the key fobs, then restart the truck (this will cancel the panic alarm) and shut it off, remove the key and see what happens.

Just a place to start, I don't know what else could cause this unless the alarm module in the back has totally crapped out. If so you can get one from the bone yard, if I remember correctly the original door panel code is printed on the sticker on it.

Let us know you find out.

Bob

Bad news, good news

Bob,

Thank you very much for the response, though it did not get the horn to stop like I was hoping... HOWEVER, because I did attempt what you suggested (and got frustrated that the horn sounded again when I removed the key), I at that point pressed on the horn on the steering wheel while it was blaring and, lo and behold, when I released, the horn noise stopped!

So now everything is working fine, and something that needed to be reset apparently corrected itself. Thank you!

--Mark

Oh, and one correction I need to make regarding my original post -- it appears that the blinking red light in the middle of the windshield is ALWAYS on when the vehicle's key is turned to the OFF position, and that this alarm light had nothing to do with the horn blaring when the key was removed from the ignition.

Thanks again,
--Mark

Back