• Register Today It's free!

Horn Fuse keeps blowing!!!!

cbranning2012

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia, Beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I know that the horn problem has been discussed before but i think my situation is different.

I have a 98 Explorer Eddie Bauer with a 4.0L SOHC.

A month ago i beeped my horn at some driver going 25 in a 45. Really bugs me when they do that. Anyways after i let off the horn it just kept going off and I tried pressing the switch again but nothing it just kept going off. Finally I pulled over and punched the steering wheel and it turned off. But the story gets worse, later that week in the middle of the night it went off by itself and woke up all my neighbors (they weren't to happy and the worst thing I didn't even hear it). So the next morning my neighbor told me all about it and I got in my car and the horn wouldn't work at all. I checked the fuse in the power distribution box and it was blown so I replaced it. Went to go try the horn and It sounded really high pitched (I think and correct me if I'm wrong that my year Explorer has two horns one low and one high) so the one that i heard was the high one. But the weird thing is as soon as i depress the horn switch on the steering wheel the fuse blows again every time.

So that's the story, My question for y'all is. Do I need to replace the clock spring or the horn switch inside the airbag compartment.

Also I have the Steering wheel with the Audio/HVAC Controls and Cruise Control. My cruise control has never worked but that's due to a mechanical problem with the linkage connecting to the throttle body. All of the other controls work. So I'm leaning towards it being the switch inside the airbag.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a similar issue with mine which is also a '98 SOHC. It's an XLT though. I can only blow the horn for a very short period of time before it blows the horn. I have been told that the fuse blowing is due to a bad horn relay or bad horn. With the cold weather, I haven't gotten a chance to check it out.

I don't know if this year has a low and high pitch horn but with this cold weather, I have noticed in the cold weather, when I lock the doors that the horn sounds different, lower pitch I think, unless I hit the lock button several times. Unfortunately I am not sure about the horn button. Good luck.

I have a similar issue with mine which is also a '98 SOHC. It's an XLT though. I can only blow the horn for a very short period of time before it blows the horn. I have been told that the fuse blowing is due to a bad horn relay or bad horn. With the cold weather, I haven't gotten a chance to check it out.

I don't know if this year has a low and high pitch horn but with this cold weather, I have noticed in the cold weather, when I lock the doors that the horn sounds different, lower pitch I think, unless I hit the lock button several times. Unfortunately I am not sure about the horn button. Good luck.

I do believe that this year Explorer does have a low and high pitch horn. I know one of my horns are blown and the other one sounds weird. My problem is I don't want to replace the horns and it goes off by itself again and destroys the horns. So I went ahead and bought a new airbag compartment and I plan on hitting up the pick n pull this weekend for some new used horns.

Also I swapped the relay for another one and it still blew the fuse. I get the new airbag compartment tomorrow.

O ya you said that when you use the horn it blows the horn? Do you mean it blows the fuse?

O ya you said that when you use the horn it blows the horn? Do you mean it blows the fuse?

Yes I meant the fuse. I wish it would just blow the horn, wouldn't be a problem then.

Yes I meant the fuse. I wish it would just blow the horn, wouldn't be a problem then.

I would just replace the horn and see what happens probably could pick one up from a junkyard for pretty cheap.

Back