• Register Today It's free!

Hose Clamps

TedJ

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
In the midst of getting parts together for a radiator / thermostat / water outlet job on my truck, the decision of what clamps to use has come up.

I've been using the old standard worm drive clamp forever, but especially with some of the ones I have been getting, they do not seem to work too well, and I keep destroying them when I try to make them tighter. (the hosing part spreads and come off the band, and these are not cheapo ones either)

Some searching has turned up other options including the Dead Link Removed

So, the question is, what type of clamps do you use, and why? And has anyone used the Gates PowerGrip?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just keep using the stock spring clamps...they work, they don't leak, and they are free...

As for over tightening the worm clamps, the key to tightening them is similar to the Oil Filter...just past finger tight. You are just trying to squeeze the rubber. NOT compress the opening that the hose is connected to.

Ryan

The ones from Home Depot seem to work just fine.

The ones at Home Depot cost less than the ones at the auto parts store.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'd have to agree on the factory clamps, they do the job, are easy enough to pry open and slide down the hose for removal, and they are't liable to be overtightened and cut into the hose. Really, the hoses should fit snug enough that the clamp is just there to prevent slight movement or any leaks out the end, not actually holding on a loose fitting hose.

I'd pull factory clamps from the salvage yard rides, anything from most year Explorers, Mountaineers, Rangers, etc. should be the same size. You could also get some from anyone in the for sale forum who's parting out.

I've taken to doubling up and using both the factory clamp and a worm drive clamp on some of the cooling system hoses, just for the extra overkill insurance and to have a working spare clamp that's the right size handy.

If you go with worm drive clamps, it's worth noting that some of the name brand clamps (Tridon, Victor, etc.) with their name stamped on the worm drive housing are usually much, much higher quality than cheaper no-name generics.

I leave factory clamps until I have to work on that part, then I always change to the worm drive.. same thing on the farm! Ive seen a many factory spring clamp fail in farm work

The tab (that you use to release a factory spring clamp) broke off on me recently. Now that was a real PITA! I had to get a dremel tool and cut the clamp off. It took several cuts because those springs are tight. Plus, it was no fun cutting a clamp off of a lower radiator hose... if you cut the hose and water runs down onto the dremel and you're plugged into 110V... Worm gear clamps for me.

Good quality worm gear clamp (getting harder to find) or t-bolt clamps. I don't see t-bolt clamps as much in town (jegs sells them) but they work well but you can't get away with using the wrong size one like you can a worm drive.

~Mark

The trick to tightening anything that has rubber involved. Less is more.

I was told by an experienced mechanic that the way to tighten worm clamps is to stop when the rubber of the hose showing through the slots in the band is level with the surface of the clamp.

Doing this i have not had any leaks or problems (like I used to) but a good percentage of the time the clamp falls apart.

Good quality worm gear clamp (getting harder to find) or t-bolt clamps.
~Mark

I think that the quality is exactly the problem, I've had problems with Gates branded clamps even. I do like the t-clamps, but the smallest size I've seen (@jegs) is 1.6in minimum, and I'm not sure if that will be small enough.

Maniak, have you used them on your truck? Do you know sizes you bought if you did?

Maniak, have you used them on your truck? Do you know sizes you bought if you did?

The smallest I've used was 3/4 (heater hose on the galaxie)..

I haven't looked yet for the X.. but I will be soon.. I'll check my catalogs and see how small they go.. it never occured to me that they don't carry 5/8" etc..

~Mark

No.. I bought it last century (before 2000).. but i'll look around to see where we can buy them.. as I'd like a few on the Van.

EDIT: I found a pic of what looks like the kind I am talking about..
mini_type_hose_clamp.jpg

~Mark

Pretty sure they sell ones like those at autozone, same size and all..

I need to either look in to using those, or more likely double clamping all my trans cooler and filter lines. The clamps seem to loosen up and leak over the span of a couple weeks...

I remember seeing the clamps maniak has pictured as "Fuel Injection Clamps" and have seen them holding lines on Jap car fuel filters. I think an actual t-clamp looks like

getimage.php

I think they are probably not available in smaller sizes due to the fact that the bolt must stay straight, and as the diameter gets smaller it keeps decreasing the size the bolt can be until it becomes impossible to manufacture

The ones I found are made by ABA and are called mini clamps.

~Mark

Yea the ones TedJ posted are true T clamps, and are very popular for turbo cars. Maniak's clamps are pretty similiar, and I think I've seen them used on OEM vehicles before.

I never knew they weren't true t-clamps, but the more I look around the more I can see how what I used before wasn't really a t-bolt clamp

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back