Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

How are my pressures?

Discussion in 'A/C & Heater systems - HVAC' started by Jason94sport, August 5, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Jason94sport

Jason94sport Well-Known Member

City, State:
      South FL
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      02 Sport 2WD 5 speed
      I had a nightmare of a time with my AC this week,. Was keeping R12 & that was a disaster. So I converted to r134.
      I'm getting a steady 50 PSI low & 295 HI. Vent temp is 53-55 while sitting.
      I used 3 cans of 134.
      The temps are 85+ with 80+ humidity. While driving it gets colder. The vent temp drops to around 45.
      The pressures do start out lower & then raise to these points & then stay there.

Is this decent? I was afraid to overcharge it by adding another can of 134.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. ranger7ltr

ranger7ltr Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Great State of Texas
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1999 Sport
      Looking at your numbers...

I would think you either are overcharged, got a restriction or you need some better cooling of the rad/condensor...Since you converted you should really should only see a high side of 2.3-2.7x ambient ...If your ambient is 80F then your high side should be in the 185-215 range...

What did your orifice tube look like? Any debris on it? Is the fan clutch working? With 295 psi high side you will be replacing the compressor a lot sooner than you would want...Plus the rest of the components are under a lot more pressure and will tend to wear out or fail as well...

I would gauge up the system and monitor the high side while running a garden hose across the condnesor...If the pressures drop significantly you need more or better cooling... If the pressures don't drop, you have a restriction somewhere in the system...

Granted my 99 Sport is native R134a but in 105 ambient I see 175-200 psi high side with the low side varying between 25-50 psi and a constant center vent temp on fan speed #2 of 37-40 F...