How big can you go with 18" wheels? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How big can you go with 18" wheels?

Heya Peter and TheMustangShow,

I got 4 of the steel wheels at a great price. Now, I can put $$$$ for new aftermarket 20" rims and all season tires. :)

Did you guys get the TPMS installed? Will I get an annoying warning sound if I don't install TPMS or will the light just display?

Cheers
I had the dealer install them. There are posts that say you can get them cheaper off the Internet. Just make sure they are the proper frequency if you go that route. I believe it is 315MHz. If you don't install the sensors I think it will just light up the alarm, I don't think there is a constant audible warning but since I haven't gone this route I can't be certain. You can go to this site and it will show a frequency. Just enter your VIN and then on the next screen go to the right and expand the 'minor features'. Good luck.
https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRe...id=E919E68F21C1F63669653DAF243B780B.eccvas510

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the advice Peter. I think I'll follow your route. :)

How much did the dealer charge you for the TPMS sensors with the mount and balance? I recently got a quote for $55 for each TPMS sensor and about $25 to mount and balance a tire.

Cheers,

Thanks for the advice Peter. I think I'll follow your route. :)

How much did the dealer charge you for the TPMS sensors with the mount and balance? I recently got a quote for $55 for each TPMS sensor and about $25 to mount and balance a tire.

Cheers,
Looking at the latest conversion which was on my MKT last October, I was charged $55/sensor and the installation/balance was $78 total. Back in Oct. 2011, the sensors for the Explorer were $56.60 each and tire install and balance was a total of $64.

Peter

Much thanks for the quick replies Peter. :)

Thanks! And unsure, I think if using steel (police rims) the rim is 265/60/18 but i could be wrong.

Thanks! And unsure, I think if using steel (police rims) the rim is 265/60/18 but i could be wrong.
My OEM tires are 255/45R20 and the Winter tires I'm using on the Interceptor wheels are 235/60R18.

The Base and XLT Explorers come standard with 245/60R18. If you go 265/60R18 the diameter variance would be 3.19% and with the 265/65R18 it would be 6.72%. The generally accepted maximum, variance is 3%. You may get by with the 265/60 but I think I'd stay away from the 265/65. That's just my opinion, others may disagree. There are various systems in the Explorer that have the OEM size entered into them at the factory for different reasons/functions.

Peter

Hello,

Does anyone know if a 255 wide tire is too wide for the 8" wide police interceptor steel rim? I did a quick Google, and the general consensus was that 245 is the maximum size width. Can anyone who has these rims with a 255 (or higher) width tire, please let me know if it worked for you?

Thanks
Dan

Hello,

Does anyone know if a 255 wide tire is too wide for the 8" wide police interceptor steel rim? I did a quick Google, and the general consensus was that 245 is the maximum size width. Can anyone who has these rims with a 255 (or higher) width tire, please let me know if it worked for you?

Thanks
Dan
That's an 18" wheel. Correct?

Peter

Yes that is correct. 18x8 steel rim as listed here STL3921 Ford Taurus, Explorer Police Interceptor Rim Black #DG1Z1015A

Thanks
A member on the previous page went with 265/60R18 on his 18" wheels. Have you priced those Interceptor wheels through your dealer? I paid $88 each (listed at $120)
for them in 2014. I think I'll check with them tomorrow to see what they are now. If you go with them and plan to add the center caps as well, you will require a different set of wheel nuts to hold the caps on. FYI, for Winter driving a narrower tire is actually better. Less resistance in pushing through snow and less chance of hydro planning on slushy/wet surfaces.

Peter

I have only just started looking to be honest. If you wouldn't mind sharing the updated price with me when you find out tomorrow, I would really appreciate it. I am only going by this brand new price here Wheel, Steel - Ford (DG1Z-1015-A) | Eastgate Ford Parts CA

But there are lots of used rims for sale this time of year. I do understand that the lug nuts for the Police Interceptor is different to that of a regular Taurus or Explorer. I'll check ebay for centre caps and lug nuts as I'm sure I will get sodomized at my local dealer.

Edited my post while you were posting yours and added the bit about tire width.

A member on the previous page went with 265/60R18 on his 18" wheels. Have you priced those Interceptor wheels through your dealer? I paid $88 each (listed at $120)
for them in 2014. I think I'll check with them tomorrow to see what they are now. If you go with them and plan to add the center caps as well, you will require a different set of wheel nuts to hold the caps on. FYI, for Winter driving a narrower tire is actually better. Less resistance in pushing through snow and less chance of hydro planning on slushy/wet surfaces.

Peter

Peter,

If you could get updated pricing on the Interceptor wheels, centre caps and lugs that would be great. I was told around $250ea at my dealer yesterday.

Either here or in the Winter Tire thread would be great. Part numbers too if you have them.

Thanks

Peter,

If you could get updated pricing on the Interceptor wheels, centre caps and lugs that would be great. I was told around $250ea at my dealer yesterday.

Either here or in the Winter Tire thread would be great. Part numbers too if you have them.

Thanks
Part numbers; Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations

Peter

Hello,

Thanks
Dan

There are a lot of people that have put 255/60 size or wider tires on 8 inch rims (older vettes and mustangs for example). As with everything though, YMMV. Conversely, the stance community seems to go the opposite and stretches thinner tires onto wider rims.

I wouldn't have any issue running a 255 on an 8 inch rim. I am actually looking at running some 255/55s on my PIUs as I can get them for $25 less than the same tire in a 245/55 (overstock deal on specific sizes).

BTW, I believe BMW offers (or has offered) low profile 255s on 8 inch rims from the factory.

What I don't understand is how come the 2013 Ford Police Interceptor Utility comes with 245/55/18 tires, but when I do a tire size comparison between my 255/50/20 tires and the 245/55/18 tires, the results say
DIAMETER VARIANCE -4.76%

Surely if they work on the PIU, they will work on my Explorer Sport?

Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 2.46.03 PM.png

What I don't understand is how come the 2013 Ford Police Interceptor Utility comes with 245/55/18 tires, but when I do a tire size comparison between my 255/50/20 tires and the 245/55/18 tires, the results say
DIAMETER VARIANCE -4.76%

Surely if they work on the PIU, they will work on my Explorer Sport?

View attachment 162961
Rim width is different from the 18 (PIU and retail rims) to the 20 (retail rim), so not sure where you are heading with the comparison. If you are just trying to understand whether a 255 will fit the vehicle, than yes it will (with the right rim width and offset, I believe you can go as wide as 275+ on front and maybe up to 305 on rear). If you are just trying to understand whether a 255 width tire will fit a specific width rim, than the answers are out there and 255s have been installed on 7.5-8" width rims. YMMV if a shop will install that combo as some adhere to various industry "policies" with an iron fist and some don't seem to care and will do just about anything you ask.

BTW - I'm sure someone will be along to explain how the PIU is programmed specifically for its tire size and the PIU is different from retail explorer with no 255/50r20 optional tire for it, so the comparison is not really valid.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the opportunity to purchase 4x PIU steel rims, 20x lug nuts, 4x centre caps and the 4x Gooodyear Eage RSA 245/55/18 tire that only have 6,000kms on them from a written off RCMP Explorer.

My plan is to buy the set and sell the tires separately but when I did the tire calculation I was surprised that there was such a high variance and that they might be tough to sell on to other explorer owners who require 18" tires. That was all.

Thanks for confirming everything else.

Back