How common is towing package? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How common is towing package?

Bob Clark

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Focus SE
Hi, I'm considering getting a small camping trailer in the next few years, 3-4K lb., and the Explorer looks like the right size vehicle to tow one, since with the towing package it's got plenty of capacity, while something smaller, like the Edge, is inadequate, and I don't care for pickups.

I'd like to find a used one, but I don't see many Explorers with a hitch receiver. How hard are they to find with tow package?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

from the inside 2011-2015s have a TOW button on the left side of the dash from factory and the bumper cover has a slight protrusion, not sure how obvious the 2016 up are from a quick glance, I think the non tow versions don't have the removeable center piece?

2016+ the button is under the headlamp switch
8TvCnn

I'd say check this out.
You basically want two things to get the 5000lb towing capability:
  1. Either V6 engine (NA or Ecoboost)
  2. Class III towing package
Both of those are guaranteed with either a Sport or Platinum trim model but I'm only certain about recent model years. The Sport was introduced in 2013.

Also class III has a 2" square, while class II is only 1.25".
qu40680_250.jpg

from the inside 2011-2015s have a TOW button on the left side of the dash from factory and the bumper cover has a slight protrusion, not sure how obvious the 2016 up are from a quick glance, I think the non tow versions don't have the removeable center piece?
Here is a rear view of mine with the tow package.

2017 Platinum5.JPG

2016/2017MY Tow button
Screen_Shot_2017_07_11_at_8_55_17_AM.png

That position has remained the same since 2011. I wonder if it will carry on through the 2018?

Peter

Thanks for all the replies, it sounds like there are a fair number of them out there.

It depends on whether you're looking for a new or a used truck.

I'd like to find a used one, but I don't see many Explorers with a hitch receiver. How hard are they to find with tow package?

I just spent several months perusing the used 13-16 Explorers in my area (St Louis) before finally finding a great price on a '15 XLT with the factory towing package. My observation was that the great majority of the used vehicles I found were lease, rental, or other "program" cars and those never had the towing package. The one I finally found was originally factory ordered and sold by a rural dealer and was traded back in to the same dealer where I found it about 80 miles away.

Unfortunately, the greatest majority of reselling suburban dealers didn't bother to note the inclusion of the towing package even when it was present. I had to look up the "original window sticker" on those Ford dealers that provided the link or look up the VIN on ETIS to see how it was built. I probably looked at several hundred stickers or ETIS build reports over the course of that search. On a lot of the dealer listings, if they showed a rear view of the bumper, a good number of candidates can be quickly eliminated. However, somewhere along the line, the profile of the bumper cover was changed so it wasn't quite as obvious just by looking at the photos and deeper digging was needed.

As for the Sport and the towing package, it became standard on the 2015 model and was an option before that. IIRC, the Platinum included it from 11-on.

Thanks for all the replies, it sounds like there are a fair number of them out there.
The 2017 Sport and Platinum come with the Class III tow package as standard equipment now.

It depends on whether you're looking for a new or a used truck.

I just spent several months perusing the used 13-16 Explorers in my area (St Louis) before finally finding a great price on a '15 XLT with the factory towing package. My observation was that the great majority of the used vehicles I found were lease, rental, or other "program" cars and those never had the towing package. The one I finally found was originally factory ordered and sold by a rural dealer and was traded back in to the same dealer where I found it about 80 miles away.

Unfortunately, the greatest majority of reselling suburban dealers didn't bother to note the inclusion of the towing package even when it was present. I had to look up the "original window sticker" on those Ford dealers that provided the link or look up the VIN on ETIS to see how it was built. I probably looked at several hundred stickers or ETIS build reports over the course of that search. On a lot of the dealer listings, if they showed a rear view of the bumper, a good number of candidates can be quickly eliminated. However, somewhere along the line, the profile of the bumper cover was changed so it wasn't quite as obvious just by looking at the photos and deeper digging was needed.

As for the Sport and the towing package, it became standard on the 2015 model and was an option before that. IIRC, the Platinum included it from 11-on.

FYI: the Platinum is a new trim for 2016+

Back