How difficult would a V8 swap be?

NHarris

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gillette, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
Simple as that. I hate my p.o.s 4.0 V6, everything that can go wrong will on this one. I want to take a grenade to my 4.0... Anyway, how difficult would it be to swap to a 4.6L 2V V8? Could I keep my 5R55S?

EDIT: sorry mods, forgot to search, will go do that.

Thanks,
Nate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your best bet is to find a totalled V8, and just totally gut it, and put all the parts in yours.... that's what I've done with my sport....

Si

All you need is the computer, harness and motor I think. When my 4 lt carks it I'll be looking at a 4.6 and 6 speed auto from a 4th gen. I really really hope that dont happen for another couple of years tho'. I'll be hanging on to my rig for a long time so any coin that gets spent on her wont be wasted. My other option would be a local 5.4/5.0 (no 4.6 down here) and auto depends on how much shipping is, computer and transfere case compatability and stuff that I really dont want to think about. You should be right tho' Nate, if you can justify the expense then it's worth it. If not sell her and look for a V8.

If she is sold, I'll be buying one of these; A) Ford Ranger B) 5.0 2nd gen (I'll get a girly Ex like Joe's :p:) J/K C) Jeep Wrangler (Still convinced on these) D) Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon E) Nissan Xterra F) Nissan Frontier G) Toyota Pickup or Tacoma

options c d e f and g ... suck ;)

options c d e f and g ... suck ;)

Idk man, I haven't had good luck with Explorers, and rangers still have that 4.0 SOHC....

I went and listened to/looked at an 08 Ranger FX4 with the same 4.0 and WOW :eek: what difference! No chain rattle and this engine doesnt shake like mine.

I haven't had any issues with my 4.0 yet (knock on wood) but when (not if :) ) it dies on me I'll probably just pull the motor and replace the timing parts or if it's really messed up I'll swap in a replacement. Seems easier and cheaper to me in the long run than finding a 4.6 and all the supporting wires/harnesses/sensors and installing them and getting them to work right. Then again I haven't really explored doing an upgrade and what the costs would be.

I guess my expectation is that the motor is basically a wear item and that it's not going to last forever, so the best I can do is take good care of it and hope it lasts as long as possible.

Go w a carbureted v8 haha

maybe when the time comes to exchange the 4.0 SOHC, I Would look into the 2011 Ford F-150 with the optional 5.0/4x4 wrecked, and just totally gut it, and put all the parts in mine

now she is 87500+ mile

I'm not quite sure about the effect of Mods on her on the long term. but, I'm doing my best to take good care of her and hope engine lasts as long as possible

If your willing to put the time and money into a 4.6 swap you might as well just swap to a 2v 5.4 triton (there's no replacement for displacement) out of a 97ish f150. You'll most likely need custom headers, 4.6l motor mounts, and a 4.6 pcm and wire harness. I'm sure you could do a 1.5 bodylift and not need the custom headers...
Gottabigblock is the only one I know of on here who has successfully swapped from a 4.6 to a 5.4

I asked this same question a while back and everyone told me to sell my ex and find one with a v8 already in it because it would be cheaper
Good luck with your decision and if you do the swap, make a write up, cause ill be the next to swap :D

Or Kazer you could do the 5.4 V8 swap, do a write up, and then we can follow. :D

If your willing to put the time and money into a 4.6 swap you might as well just swap to a 2v 5.4 triton (there's no replacement for displacement) out of a 97ish f150. You'll most likely need custom headers, 4.6l motor mounts, and a 4.6 pcm and wire harness. I'm sure you could do a 1.5 bodylift and not need the custom headers...
Gottabigblock is the only one I know of on here who has successfully swapped from a 4.6 to a 5.4

I asked this same question a while back and everyone told me to sell my ex and find one with a v8 already in it because it would be cheaper
Good luck with your decision and if you do the swap, make a write up, cause ill be the next to swap :D

Or Kazer you could do the 5.4 V8 swap, do a write up, and then we can follow. :D

This swap was done before by stylin99

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236966

and he didn't like the result and started a new swap project with the new ford 412 HP 5.0 engine

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316074

I wish him all luck

So I can pick up a 4.6L 3V with a 6spd auto for $750.00. I think I could fit it to my 5R55S as mustangs use the 5R but mine is f'd anyway.

So I can pick up a 4.6L 3V with a 6spd auto for $750.00. I think I could fit it to my 5R55S as mustangs use the 5R but mine is f'd anyway.

you need to change the bell housing for 5R55S so it could be fitted to 4.6

you need to change the bell housing for 5R55S so it could be fitted to 4.6

I'd probably rather have a 6-spd if I can fit it to my transfer case.
Off topic for a second, I see you have aftermarket exhaust headers on your ex; did those change the sound of the exhaust and any performance gains?

definitely it has effects on: sound of the exhaust, temperature inside engine bay and in throttler response.

unfortunately the power gain will not appear unless you have tuning.

Mods: KKM TrueREv #054004, JBA Headers #1674SJT, MagnaFlow Hi Flow Cat #46004, MagnaFlow Cat-Back #16773

Octane AKI 91

Max power 187.5 HP and max torque 226.1 ft-lbs
5829770536_ba9362f55f_o.jpg

and this is stock run

Octane AKI 87

Max power 167.7 HP and max torque 201.4 ft-lbs
5829771012_856d3c95b7_o.jpg

junkyard? out of a 4th gen ex?...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back