1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

How Do I clean my idle air control valve?

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by Daps, December 15, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Daps

Daps Member

City, State:
      Jackson, TN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2000 XLS
      After searching on this board I found this link

http://homepage.mac.com/dogfriend/iMovieTheater14.html

and I have the same exact noise. I see the part he's talking about. 1st it looks like he pulls a line off and the noise goes away, then he puts it back on and the noise comes back, later in the video he takes off what looks like a cap and plug
      What am I suppose to clean when people say clean your IAC value? Am I suppose to take the whole thing off and how do I clean it or just that little looks like a silver plug that was sitting next to the black cap? Do i take and sit it something? Otherwise I've heard you have to replace it. Looking at the video it doesn't look like it would be that hard to replace as it's sitting right there and I'm pretty sure I can do it myself I think it's like $40 at Auto Zone
      I drive a 00 Ex FYI

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
    4. Daps

Daps Member

City, State:
      Jackson, TN
      2000 XLS
      Yeah I found it just before I got your post and was reading it when yahoo told me I had mail :)
      Thanks

5. robj

robj New Member

City, State:
      YORK,PA & BALTIMORE,MD
      96 xlt
      I cleaned mine with wd40 took the part off and sprayed the spring and then I move the spring with a screwdriver to loosen it up from all the carbon... I was able to do this twice before I had to buy one... Yeah It was like 50$ or something from advanced.

6. Glacier991

Glacier991 EF Tranny Guru Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      1992 XLT
      410! ROFL!!!!!!!!!!LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ow, it hurts....

7. 97headache

97headache New Member

City, State:
      Florida
      97 XLT AWD
      Clean your IAC? Don't bother! Change the S.O.B.. I just changed mine. bought it at Discount Auto Parts - $43.00. Labor? No problem - unplug the wire, remove two bolts, throw away the old one, place the new one, install those two bolts, plug it in, DONE! My mechanic wanted $150.00 for that job, and $900.00 more for a new upper plenum. All that to fix the loud whining noise I was hearing, when this 10 minute job did the trick. Obviously, I won't be going to see him again!

NOTE: I did NOT install the NEW gasket that came with my new IAC. My old one didn't have a gasket - it had rubber o-rings in the air intake portion of the housing that mates up to the new IAC. So I left the o-rings there and threw away the gasket (mine is a 1997 V6 XLT AWD). Presto! Runs great, no noise.