How do I increase my braking power for towing? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I increase my braking power for towing?

Long story short, I replaced the tires on my truck from 245/75/R16 with 265/75/R16 on 16x8 rims which is barely an increase at all. Now my braking power is considerably less.

I replaced the original front rotors with new premium ones and new brakes. I still cant brake nearly well enough. I just went down a steep hill and with my brakes down hard, I was still unable to stop very well. I don't have ABS on the truck but I don't think it matters because even with me braking as hard as I can, I cant lock the tires up.

Anyway, what can I do to fix this? I pull an 8.5x20 cargo trailer fairly regularly and the last thing I want is to not be able to stop.

The truck is a 98 Ram 4x4 long bed. Not lifted or anything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would bleed the brake lines, sounds like there might be some air in there,

Does the trailer have brakes (it should)? If so, do you have a brake controller for them?

Ya, I have a brake controller. Trailer has brakes on both sets of tires. The braking is weak without the trailer which is what was concerning me. It's strong enough I don't mind driving it around normally, but really hard stops don't seem to be an option hehe.

Your 98 model should have abs unless you removed it. You definatelly don't need to drain the brake fluid- If you are unfamiliar with brake bleeding and fluid replacement you should really find some help that is experienced or take it somewhere. Brakes are nothing to guess about, it's your safety as well as others at stake.

If you are talking about braking without the trailer, new tires should not have affected that much. Whoever did the brakes missed something. Bleed the system.

If the difference is only when towing, then your trailer brakes should be inspected/adjusted. Be sure you know how to properly use an electric brake controller, too. Which controller do you have?

Just use gravity to bleed them, don't worry about the brake peddel. Watch the fluid comming out of the nipple closly until it runs out continuously with no bubbles on each wheel. Remember to keep your brakefluid tank topped up when doing this also, as not to let air in the system from them top. If the fluid is dirty, brown/black in color let the fluid drain until it looks new again. Dirty fluid has a similiar effect to having air in the system.

I would give this some attention just incase you need to come to a hard stop one day. I tow heavy loads and I know quite alot of braking force is required sometimes, especially when going down hill with warm brakes.

Back