How do I know if I have a JBL sound system or not? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I know if I have a JBL sound system or not?

hinoon

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
I know, dumb question- and the answer is probably pretty obvious, but I can't seem to figure it out. I'm new to car audio systems, and I'm trying to figure out how to install an aftermarket head unit in my '96 Explorer. From what I can tell I need to know if my system is JBL or not, and I'm not quite sure how to figure that out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it is not marked on the front of the head unit, then pull it out and look at the model sticker. Or compare it to the ones in the owners manual and that should give you your answer. But anyway you go, all you have to do is buy a wiring harness adapter for your model year and it is plug and play. If you have no 6 disk CD changer in the center console, then it is only one harness kit, $10.00 either way.

More simple: If you do not have a subwoofer in the rear, you do not have JBL.

If you don't, see my thread: CLICK

Even if you do see Joe's thread, alot of info, alot pics. Helped alot!!

If you turn on the CD player and it goes "dance dance dance dance" in some techno beat, then you have a JBL system. If you turn on the CD player and it goes "Girl you are to me, all that a woman should be, and I dedicate my life to you always..", then you do not have a JBL system.

atlantic-starr-2.jpg

Heh Heh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you turn on the CD player and it goes "Girl you know its true" like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSqV3rWM4iQ

That means you have to remove the 6disc changer, place it behind your right rear tire, put the Ex in reverse and keep going until you hear a JBL Crunch

^-- mmm good choice. Dreadlocks and the poppin' 80s - smashing combo.

Yeah, I saw that thread Joe. Great post, it's going to be very helpful.

Back