Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

how do i run 2 amplifiers

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by WerdSille, September 26, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. WerdSille

WerdSille New Member

City, State:
      Tallahassee Florida
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '93 XLT
      I currently own 1 Rockford Fosgate punch 250.2 amplifier running a punch HE 10. It's not enough bass for me and I am going to upgrade. I want to know what is the best way to go about running two punch 250.2 amp's and 2 He 12's. Am I going to have to run a seperate battery or what?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. expo5.0

expo5.0 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Red Wing, MN
      1996 xlt
      you should run 4 gauge wire from your battery to a distribution block in the back of your x and then 8 gauge (i think that is what those amps are set up to take) into the amps from that. you shouldn't need a new battery, a cap, or a new alternator. i have run two 1000x1s and a 400x4 rockford fosgate amps before without any problems and without any other modifications (but if you were going to go that big i would recommend a new alternator, but your not)

also, currently i have a 400x4 and a 500a2 and with that set up i definitely don't need any upgrades to the electrical system even with all kinds of aftermarket lighting wired as well, and a permanently wired power inverter.

4. PekingMan

PekingMan Active Member

City, State:
      Tempe, Arizona
      1993 XLT 4x4
      I personally would throw in a capacitor.

5. Kevex

Kevex Active Member

City, State:
      edgewater park,nj
      99 XLT
      1.Make sure that you have the ground wires the same as the power also, Run 8ga from the amps to a non fused distro block then 4ga to 1 ground point. (make the ground wires as short as possible)
      2.You are going to need a Y-splitter for your RCA's to get the signal to both amps.
      3.And you can get away with splicing the remote wire to go to both amps

6. EliteConcept

EliteConcept Well-Known Member

City, State:
      LaPorte, Indiana
      04 Civic LX
      I might recommend a OPTIMA BATTERY instead of a CAP.

because.
      the optima battery will serve better for all your electrical needs, also a CAP, doesn't really work. I have a OPTIMA YELLOW TOP. running a 800 watt audiobahn amp and 100 watt pioneer amp for highs and i've never seen the lights dim once.
      also a battery is just much easier to install. a cap, if you've never installed one can be tedious...lose you thought train for one second hook the wires up backwards...boom you blow your cap and its no good. but a battery is almost too easy to install.....i say its well worth the extra 75 bucks for a optima over a cap
      i also upgraded my alternator to a 130amp. for 125 bucks but thats a differnet story....

7. WoodysX

WoodysX Active Member

City, State:
      Ashburn Virginia
      91 EB & Q
      Plus, i guess you can say that a battery can help your entire cars system, including your audio/video system.