How do I stop the beeping? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I stop the beeping?

grandpaford

Reaction score
Hello Enthusiasts,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I guess it's worth as shot. I have a 1993 Explorer, and it always beeps when I open the driver side door. The actual problem is the key lock cylinder. The truck thinks that the key is still in the ignition switch when its not, and so the alert sounds ANYTIME the door is open. (I always thought this alert was an annoying feature of Fords, even when working properly).

At any rate, I would like to turn this alert off completely. Does anyone know the best way to disable this beeping? Perhaps a fuse I can remove, or a wire I can disconnect? I never want this vehicle to beep at me ever again for anything.

Thank you for your time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hated the beeping too. In my 93, there is a box underneath the center of the dash with a bunch of wires going into it. Pull out the black wire and that should stop the beeping. This will also cause the Fasten Seat Belt light to always be on, but it doesn't bother me.

It turned out to be an easy fix. I located the box that was beeping, and unplugged the wires going into it. No more beep.

Mine does the same thing but it's caused by the ignition not being in the correct position which is caused by general wear and tear on the ignition switch over 15 year's.

whats weird is if i have my key in the ignition my drivers door wont make it chime its all the other rest of the doors that make it chime.

Back