• Register Today It's free!

How do I turn off auto 4x4?

NJSploder

Reaction score
City, State
Elizabeth, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB
I have a 99 Eddie Bauer 4.0 SOHC with 4x4 Auto. It sucks when i want to kick up some mud. I was wondering if i could disable the auto 4x without hurting the trasfer case. I would love to get a setup into my truck from a new Sport Sport Trac, or Ranger with the 2wd option instead of the auto option.

Anyone know if this is possible? Can i swap the comp from a new Ranger into my Truck? IS it the same tranfer case? Is there a kit to put in a switch to disable it. I don't want to go the route of pullling a fuse or harness off. I want it done right.

Thanks

Its real easy to disable the auto 4wd. basically all you have to do is install a relay and switch in the Torque on demand power line. here's a link to the thread about it..

Dead Link Removed
Look on page 3-5 of that thread itll have all the info you need.

Its nice to see yet another person from the garbage state. :) I notice youre down in englishtown a bunch of us where down there for the swap meet showing our trucks.

Thanks

Looks like some usefull info. I'm gonna try it this weekend and head out to play in the NJ Pine Barrens with some friends. Hopefully i'll be slippin sideways through some slop this weekend.

Also I was wondering if i could use shakles or add-a-leafs to raise the rear about 2" and I was gonna crank the T-bars to give me only about 1.25" to 1.5" of lift up front. I just wanted to get slightly larger tires for the snow and for the look. I don't want to lose too much street performance either. I figure My 4.10's should still pull nicely.

Gotta love Jersey, I live in Elizabeth not Englishtown. But I'm down there all the time.

Ive got a TT and shackles on my 97 sport and ill hopefully be picking up a 3" body lift to fit my new 33s i picked up at englishtown. :D where do you go down in the pine? Ive been to forked river, waretown, atsion, wharton state forest (Off of rt 9 near lbi) apple pie hill etc.

Back