1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

How hard is the test?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by Big Bear Bob, September 30, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Big Bear Bob

Big Bear Bob Active Member

City, State:
      Big Bear area of Southern Ca. near "Rim of the World drive", & Sugarloaf Mountain
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 XLT /01 Dodge 1500 4X4
      Just curious how tough is it to get a license for so that someone could use the other channels?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Exploder Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      the tech license i think it is isnt too hard to get.... basically it is like an 8 hour cram class and then the test that you studied all day for..... i havent taken it yet.... but others i have talked to said its basically like trafic violater school....get in touch with a local ham association and they will most likely hook you up with some leads on the classes and what not

4. Big Bear Bob

City, State:
      Big Bear area of Southern Ca. near "Rim of the World drive", & Sugarloaf Mountain
      Does the Tech license give the ability to talk on the extra channels that are in most of the older Crystalr SSB units? or do you need both?

Also, for offroad perposes what do I need?

5. Ray Hutchinson

Ray Hutchinson Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Dana Point, CA
      '93 XLT
      Ham License Tests

Bob,

Check out <www.arrl.org> the website of the ARRL (Amateur Radio Relay League). They have information on the 3 license classes, band privileges, test requirements.

Baiscly: the entry license, called Technician Class consists of a 35 question written only exam, administered by 3 other general class or higher Hams that are "accredited" as VE's (Volunteer Examiners) The questions are all multiple choice, and the entire (384) question pool, along with all the possible answer choices are published in numerous places. you can get from the above URL, but I like the book by Gordon West, "Technician Class" book, 4th edition. Be sure to get the 4th edition, or you'll be studying the old / wrong questions! These books are available several places, including Radio Shack stores for about $8 bucks, I think. Gordo has some
      great explanantions and hints or mnemonic devices to help you remember the correct answers

The technician class privileges are all ham band(s) frequencies and modes above 50 mHz. this includes 6,2, 1,25 meters, 70 cm, and select frequencies at 900 mHz, and above 1200 mHz. Sorry, the 10 and 12 meter bands (near cb 11 meters) are only available to General Class licensees.

6. Big Bear Bob

City, State:
      Thanks for the info, I have several older radios that have crystals in them and would like to be able to use them without having to worry about fines or worst

7. tmanson

tmanson Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Minnneapolis, MN
      2001 5.0L XLT
      My wife read the book and then took practice exams on the net. She got allot of the technical questions wrong and some of the frequency band questions, but she passed the practice exams. I have not got her to go take the actual test yet. Allot of the questions are very easy, common sense questions.

The basic ham 2-way radio is similar looking to a CB and hooks up pretty much the same. I have a 2-meter radio in the X, but allot of people have a combination 2 meter and 70 centimeter radio. The difference is that the Ham radio will have around 50 watts and will be FM modulated, compared to the 4 or so watts of a CB that is AM modulated. I easily get 15 miles of distance with my 50-watt radio and up to 40 miles depending on the conditions. There are also repeaters set up that receive your signal and re transmit it. I have managed to make an 50 mile communication through a repeater. Some repeaters also have a phone link, so you can make a phone call using your radio.

8. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Boston Area
      2003 Ranger Edge
      The best part of 2 meter FM is:

I can run 1500 watts legally...

:chug: :chug: :ca:

9. Ray Hutchinson

Ray Hutchinson Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Dana Point, CA
      '93 XLT
      2M FM

Yup, Sandy, and the next best thing is, with all the hundreds of Ham 2M repeaters around, you don't have to!:D

Went camping this weekend in the S. CA desert, about half way between Palm Springs and the AZ border, and about 20 Mi. S of the I-10. Well, no cell phone service, but, You guessed it, I had S9+ signal from a Ham 2m repeater! Of course on the HF bands I was easily able to talk to PA. and NY. All with 50 to 100 watts.

Moral: when you're wheelin in the boonies, that cell phone can be just about worthless if you get into trouble and need emergency assistance., but Ham radio will keep you in contact, and in an emergency, a ham, even across the country, that recieves your distress call will gladly relay it by telephone to the emergency services in your area.

10. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Boston Area
      2003 Ranger Edge
      Ray,
      The fact is, That you can!

I have never used more than 50 watts and the 50 was used to hit my home repeater from the top of NH, almost into Canada, back to just north of Boston; milage unknown but a good distance.

The thing that turns most people off is the test, but think aobut it, it also separates the wanna-bes and the HAMs.

Big Bear Bob, I have a good method of studing for the test, if you are interested e-mail me.

n1mau@gis.net

Good Luck no matter how you study, remember there is only one test to get started.