1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

How long will it last?

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by Elfiero, March 16, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Elfiero

Elfiero Member

City, State:
    Golden valley, MN
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2017 Limited
    I am trying to figure out how long I can keep my ‘17 exploder before it’s time to send it down the road. I change oil(full synthetic), every 6 months(I don’t drive enough nowadays to do it by miles), and I change the “transfer case” fluid every fall( I added a drain plug and longer vent hose). I guess I am most worried about the massive amount of electronics, and Ford’s penchant for rust. I am up to 42k on the clock, and I hope I can make it another 8 years- lastly, with a window sticker of 51k, I’m hoping to avoid spending ALL of my retirement savings to replace this “SUV”.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. JAPeterson

JAPeterson Active Member

City, State:
    Gypsum, Co
    2016 XLT
    It might last those 8 years and then again it may cap out next week you never know.

This is where I decided after purchasing my 16 that I will never buy one outright again. With all the electronics on them all it takes is for one item to fail and you are out $5000 in a hurry.

So if you just lease you can have a new vehicle every 2 or 3 years will a full warranty with the payments being lower than what you could get on a 5 or 6 year payment plan.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Flying68

Flying68 Active Member

City, State:
    Wichita, KS
    Ex Ownr 12 Explr Lmtd AWD
    Why does everyone worry so dang much? 7+ years and 145k miles and I only do the as directed maintenance. Haven't touched the PTU, differentials, or transmission yet. Heck it still has the original accessory drive belt.

• Like Like x 1
  5. fireball 440

fireball 440 Active Member

City, State:
    minnesota
    2015 Police Interceptor
    At that mileage you should have serviced the transmission 2-3 times by now per Ford's recommendation. Also the diffs at least once.

6. Flying68

Flying68 Active Member

City, State:
    Wichita, KS
    Ex Ownr 12 Explr Lmtd AWD
    And you would be wrong. Ford does not make any such recommendation. The owners manual specifically calls out the transmission at 150,000 miles in the maintenance schedule. The PTU and differentials are not mentioned at all.

7. RhinoQuartz

RhinoQuartz Elite Explorer

17 Explorer Base
    Would you mind sharing pictures and/or your method of installing the drain plug and vent hole please?

8. Elfiero

Elfiero Member

City, State:
    Golden valley, MN
    2017 Limited
    Next time I change oil(soon) I will take a few pics and post them

9. 03WIExplorerLtd

03WIExplorerLtd Active Member

2011 Explorer FWD base
    If you live in the rust belt and don't take care of it, it will be a rust bucket at 10 years.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mr. Alligator

Mr. Alligator Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Tampa, Florida
    1997 XLT Explorer
    If you take care of it, and keep up with maintenance, it will last as long as you want.

• Like Like x 3
  11. thefranchise713

thefranchise713 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Buffalo, NY
    '18 Toyota Prius Prime
    This is always a dangerous question based on climate, maintenance routine, etc.

In the NE, I say a lifespan of a car from new without extraordinary body care is about 7 years. Salt will kill it before the core mechanicals go, usually.

But then again, I also lost confidence in mine and parted with it this week and bought an entirely different brand.

Seems like you're taking very good care of your car, so it should last you longer than most.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ExPlat

ExPlat Elite Explorer

2016 Explorer Platinum
    I take care of mine, never towed anything, a few trips, always washed and waxed, never in snow or salted roads, maintained at factory spec's or better and only 3.5 years old with 32k miles. With almost $10k in repairs under various warranties and another required upgrades (like tires at 11k miles) and 41+ days in the shop to do all of them I'd say there are some real lucky folks on this board. Or, more likely, I got a real sorry build. It's going into the dealers shop next week for the next engineering failure repair. How long will mine last? Until my ESP warranty ends.
    Rant ends...

Edit: Hey franchise, what did you get, I'm interested!

• Like Like x 1
  13. RhinoQuartz

17 Explorer Base
    Awesome, thank you! I look forward to seeing them!

14. VCFP153

VCFP153 Active Member

City, State:
    Ormond Beach FL
    2017 PIU
    Not sure what "penchant for rust" you're referring to, and it also bears mentioning that there are vehicles out there with far more "massive" amount of gizmos than these. Having lived in Brooklyn Park for 12 years and done all my flight training out of Crystal, I certainly understand our Minnesota mindset of "it could be worse, and if you wait long enough it will be", but I don't see any compelling reason to dump the Explorer unless you just plain don't like it, which is fair enough.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Elfiero

Elfiero Member

City, State:
    Golden valley, MN
    2017 Limited
    Well... I guess it is "alright", although it doesn't do anything particularly well. While it is most definitely a pavement queen, it isn't too bad in snow. As far as gizmos, I have one with every single option that can be had on a Limited- Which vehicles out there have more gizmos than this? Why did I buy it? My F150 was just too big and too hard to get in and out of! Is there anything out there that is easy to get in and out of that doesn't have all the traction and braking nannies, but still has all the creature comforts?

16. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    I'm guessing you haven't seen some of the Explorer 'off road' videos. While not a "rock crawler" it is capable of some light to medium off-road performance.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  17. KayGee

KayGee Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Farmington, MI
    '16 & '17 PIU
    Like this ->

or this trail in 'Vancouver BC Canada" ->

or this one that really shows how the Explorer shines off the pavement ->

My fusion is just as capable an off-roader as my explorer.

As far as longevity, if you want to see how the 5g explorers are holding up in your area, just go browse your local classifieds for some used 2011s and go have a look at them to see how much rust they have and how well they've held up.

I've had no real problems keeping cars on the road in MI for up to 20 years and we salt the ever loving shit out of our roads. Sure there is going to be some rust, but it's not like the vehicle just disintegrates after 7 yrs. If anything, the last few vehicles I've had from the mid 2000's that I had for 7 plus yrs, looked pretty darn good for not being washed regularly and not garaged. I've even had a few vehicles for >15 yrs that typically only had minimal rust around the wheel wells and/or rockers. Usually not too bad all things considered.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Fentress24

Fentress24 Active Member

City, State:
    Maryland
    2016 Ford Explorer Sport
    haha I am with you ExPlat. I bought my 16 Sport with the intention of driving it until it dies. Now 3 years and 64k miles into it, I feel like it could have a significant failure at any moment. I've had numerous trips to the dealer for small issues, but its the transmission failure and leaking PTU that really bother me. I do all regular maintenance and take great care of my vehicles, but it seems like every 6-12 months something else goes wrong with this truck. Truck has had 4 trips to the dealer for repairs and well over a month spent at the dealer. Transmission failure was 28 days.

Don't even have to wait for rust to hit the truck, just check the front edge of your hood! I have yet to see an Explorer without the paint bubbles along the edge of the hood. Mine is 3 years old and has paint pealing off the hood in multiple places. Ford refused to fix it under warranty because I have 63k miles. Paint shouldn't be pealing off of a 3 year old truck!

I plan to keep the truck as long as its running, but it has become the joke among my friends and family that my truck is always in the shop for something.

19. RhinoQuartz

17 Explorer Base
    Just fyi, the paint peeling issue is covered 5yrs/unlimited miles.

• Like Like x 1
  20. RedXLTlove

RedXLTlove Member

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Visalia, CA
    2017 Explorer XLT
    I feel very confident in our 2017 Explorer, if we get 5-7yrs out of it, then I will be more than happy. She has been issue free for the most part. The tires are my only gripe.

As with any car/truck, how you care for it will determine how long it will last.

We currently have 20k miles.

• Like Like x 1
  21. RhinoQuartz

17 Explorer Base
    I find it slightly amusing that the higher the trim level, the crappier the tires.