• Register Today It's free!

How many have ATF coolers?

#1Aggie

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
In the short time that I have been on this board, I have grown very concerned with the poor reliabilty of our Transmissions. According to the posted poll, 64% fail before 130K and about 50% fail before 100K.

I was wondering, of the ones that failed, how many had external ATF coolers? Since heat is the #1 killer of ATF and transmissions, how much impact on the longevity of the trans does an ATF cooler play?

While my '93 was not ordered with the trailer towing package, I noticed last weekend, when I was doing a 105K tune-up, that mine has a external-horizontal plate cooler from the factory. I don't know if that was either standard on the '93's or, my dealer when he ordered specified an ATF cooler, since we get vet hot in Houston in the summer.

FWIW, and I am afraid to jinx it, but my '93 with 105K still shifts great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you monitored the tranny temp? If not you might want to add a tranny temp gauge.

Further, an external tranny filter is a great lifesaving/extending mod.

The use of synthetic ATF is also a great idea.

Good luck.....

The key to longevity on your A4LD is to keep it cool and keep it clean.

Change the fluid and filter every year. The first time you do it take it in and have it backflushed (get the stuff out of the valve body and converter).
Also it does not hurt to install the largest tranny cooler you can get your hands on.
I also prefer to run fully synthetic ATF, but some may see that as overkill if you change it yearly.

Also a tranny temp gage and a external tranny filter are a good idea. Dont forget about those who have 200-300K miles in their original A4LD, but yes mostly they last about 150K miles. An automatic tranny will wear out, it;s their nature. How fast is up to you.

Also the OD unit in your A4LD is the weakest link, so dont use it if you dont need it, I drive around town in D and only use OD on the highway.

My sister's '94 Explorer has between 108-112k miles on the original tranny with the factory tranny cooler included with the tow package. I think that they are a necessity.

Originally posted by aldive
Have you monitored the tranny temp? If not you might want to add a tranny temp gauge.

Further, an external tranny filter is a great lifesaving/extending mod.

The use of synthetic ATF is also a great idea.

Good luck.....

No, I have not yet put a Trans temp gauge on it, but would be interesting to know, especially in the summer.

I agree and will never buy a vehicle without it again, but an ATF cooler IMO is the best and cheapest investment to prevent spending $1500-1800 on a rebuild.

I run a HAyden class A motorhome tranny cooler, its flippin huge!! But then I have a ton of room since I have no A/C and I have a BII. I used high temo high pressure rubber lines to route the ATF from the tranny to the 4.0L 3 core aluminum radiator, then to the HAyden cooler, then back to the tranny. Next I will install an external tranny filterand a temp gage.

When I converted my truck from a 5 speed to an auto my average coolant temp went up 10 degrees, because the tranny cooler is mounted in front of the radiator and also because I am now flowing hot ATF through my radiator. I plan to also "divorce" the tranny cooler from the radiator someday, to help. Move it as far away from the rad as possible.

$1500-1800? Yikes! A rebuilt A4LD goes for about $900-1100 here and online.....

I spent $2300 on mine, but it is all custom.........

My 92 lasted 85K

It came factory with a supercool package but it was the weld that broke on the overdrive. The rebuild lasted another 20K before the lockup clutch went. At least I think it was that. Tearing it out to do a rebuild now. It doesn't hurt but it is not a cure all. And what do you do when a transmission gets a bad name? You give it a new name. Did any new gear get added in the 5R55E? NO, still basically the same transmission with a couple of mods.

Oh and when it comes time to rebuild one of these suckers, if you plan to keep the truck for another 200K miles there are only two people that I know of I would even trust with it.

Otherwise you can buy a rebuilt online with a good warranty for cheap.

If you look around you can find somebody in your area that actually KNOWS how to build a A4LD, and you need somebody you trust, because if they dont do it right, your nightmare is just begining........

our first tranny lasted 165k miles.. with no cooler..

the 2nd tranny lasted until 235k (70k miles) with a tranny cooler.. but the tranny didn't go until I overheated the motor enough to melt some hard parts in the front of the tranny..

3rd tranny is still going strong @ 272k (37k miles so far)..

~Mark

Cool thread I am glad you brought it up Aggie.

Hey does the 2000 come with the A4LD ?

Either way , I recon I'll eventually add a tranny cooler.
Do you just by pass the standard rad cooler or do you run it through there as well ? If both which is first ?

:p
I have 91.000k on my 93 and still have the original trans. I bought mine second hand at 28,000k. It came equipped with the tranny cooler mounted in front of the radiator. I think that this has done a great deal to extend the life of the trans. A trans shop told me recently that there were suprised that the fluid was still bright red since it had been 20,000k since I had it flushed. They said it was usually darker by that time. They also recommended a trans go shift kit to be installed to help extend the life of the trans. It is supposed to provide better lubrication. Does anyone have experience with these?
:D

I got a monster one designed for an RV that's towing a load. My tranny temp never goes above 165.

i have the "fiero radiator" sized cooler on mine, run in line with the stock cooler. go as big as your wallet will allow. you cant overcool an auto tranny (in theory).;)

How about the 98 awd?

I have had this 98 XLT for a few mos. Does the 5.0 L AWD have this same tranny, and does it need help? I would rather try to get in front of future problems than wait untill its to late.
thanx

no, you have the 4R70W (like me) and it is known to be a fairly reliable tranny.....but put a cooler on it anyway.

in the winter, my tranny wont shift real well. I guess it might be because it gets to be 40-50 below zero here in AK. My tranny heater pad usually gets things moving. This is one case where you have to heat up the tranny instead of cooling it.

in the winter, my tranny wont shift real well. I guess it might be because it gets to be 40-50 below zero here in AK. My tranny heater pad usually gets things moving. This is one case where you have to heat up the tranny instead of cooling it.

Originally posted by james t
no, you have the 4R70W (like me) and it is known to be a fairly reliable tranny.....but put a cooler on it anyway.

I would recommend installing a tranny filter too.

Good luck.....

I got the tranny cooler on mine (w/ tow package) and i got 167k on it, it seems to "buck" sometimes after leaving off the throttle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by davesexplorer
I got the tranny cooler on mine (w/ tow package) and i got 167k on it, it seems to "buck" sometimes after leaving off the throttle.

mine does that too i have the v8 "good tranny" with 87k miles..:(

and tow package with factory tranny cooler.

Back