How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX? | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

Post number 869 has been selected as best answered.

119,x...
Bought at 81K, needed new cylinder heads at 85K due to faulty radiator-replaced radiator as well as t-stat. Replacement radiator's transmission cooler went bad-replaced it. Installed 3rd radiator. Later, replacement T-stat stuck, truck overheated and once again fried the cylinder heads. Motor started knocking really bad recently. Not to mention a few other minor repairs. Still driveable, however has recently started bucking/surging randomly-pretty sure this is a fuel issue, but it only needs to get me through 2 more weeks before I get rid of it, so I'm not fixing it.

This truck would've been awesome if whoever had it in its prior 80K had taken care of it. I really like it, but seeing as it needs new heads/block, it's time for it to hit the road.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just rolled over 159K

How many miles on 2nd gen. Ex

1996 has 335,000 miles on it.

Just broke 103K on my 00 XLT 4.0L

Just coming up to 240,000 on my 99 sport OHV

Only 89k original on my 99 XLS. Still strong. Working through some dry rot on rubber parts but still in great shape.

I have 192k on my 99 XLT, but my dad has a 95 Eddie B with (drumroll please) 536k on the original motor and it still runs good. about 200k of that was towing a 16x6 ft box trailer. his truck is the reason i bought one

my friend just bought a 2000 mountie with 92k, yes 92 thousand on the clock.

The '95 Sport 2wd 5speed OHV has 210,000 and the '97 Sport 4wd Auto OHV has 225,000. Both vehicles are completely stock and run great! Bonus Features: I have only about $1000 into the purchase of both rides FTW! The '95 only needed a PCM Relay while the '97 was hit light in the front end and needed the bumper, grill backer panel and headlight/turn signal assemblies.

194,689 miles on mine...

buddy's 96 4.0 had 389,000 on it .... until he blew timing chain .....

2001 Eddie Bauer, blue w/gold trim, tan leather interior, 2WD, 5.0L V8, auto trans. Just broke 180k. Perfect condition inside and out except needs ball joints (rubber boots trashed) which I will replace with Moog's this fall.

2001 XLT, white w/tan cloth interior. 2WD, 4.0L SOHC V6, auto trans. Purchased on salvaged title. 170k showing on speedo, but who knows for sure. Engine sounds like a diesel (cam chain death rattle) plan to replace engine with low mileage '05 Mustang 4.0L when it finally dies. Needs sway bar links.

Update: Moog ball joints, end links (noises now gone), dlb platinum spark plugs, K&N filter and ceramic front brakes done on EB, end links replaced on XLT.

Next: Trans filter and gear oil change on EB, ball joints on XLT (when my daughter's hubby comes up with the $160 for the parts).

1998 Eddie Bauer V8 AWD, just turned 122,000 today 8-2-12. Running great, knock on wood.

160k on my 95 sport. New (to me) tranny and t-case are my only major repairs.

Well i've got 168,565mi on her now (more actually since the speedo's off) and i've hydrolocked it twice. Last time was roughly 1,300 miles ago and she's still tickin away...literally.

Wow, I can't believe it my self. 1997 Explorer XLT, 5.0, 2WD. 325,000 miles no engine or trans work. I used Mobil synthetic every 5k until about 250k. Now I use any quality 10w40 oil at 5k. I've changed the trang fluid probally 4 times but don't remember the last time I've changed it. It still shifts smooth. It blows my mind how well this thing still runs. Just made a run to the Bridgeport from the LA area. Average speed was 60 to 65 mph, I averaged 22 mpg, probally the best I've ever got. It the interior, door locks, vacuum hoses, ect weren't wearing out, I think this thing will go another 100k.

I got about 136k on my 99' Sport OHV, no major engine repairs so far just routine maint. still running strong, prolly as good or better than when I got it.

My 96 4.0 4X4 is currently sitting with 197k on it, original engine and transmission. Tranny fluid and fillter has been changed a total of 3 times its entire life (have p/o owners records of maintenance) we bought it with 126k on it. Over heated the transmission a couple times towing so I'm proud of this truck, just pulled a rebuilt tranny from a rusty Explorer as a back up for "someday".

I'm really glad to see how many people have gotten well over 200k! I just bought a 2000 Limited with 57k.

99 4.0 SOHC 133,000 miles. I am starting to hear the timing chain noise on cold starts and at 2400 rpm before normal operating temp. I am going to let it get worse before I change the casettes though.

my ohv sport just turned 158 on the way home from school today. i miss my first gen though :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

213,000 on my 95 Eddie Bauer 4x4. Below is an interesting snapshot of the maintenance and repairs in the last 6 yrs. It's quite high, but the truck operates and drives like new. Purchased as it came off a lease in 1997 with 30k miles on the odo.

Major expenses were transmission rebuild, timing chain replacement, cooling system replacement and suspension replacement (all of this is why it drives so well now). It gets two details a year so it looks great.

expenses in 2004 $512.39
expenses in 2005 $2,085.18
expenses in 2006 $2,785.01
expenses in 2007 $1,530.96
expenses in 2008 $2,270.75
expenses in 2009 $2,010.02
expenses in 2010 $498.82
TOTAL $11,194.31

Above is my post from Jan. 2010. Still running smooth and strong at 240k.

Back