How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX? | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

Post number 869 has been selected as best answered.

188,000 miles... and getting ready to rebuild. It still runs good, but has developed a knock. I've decided to rebuild before it throws a rod.:roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

169,000 miles 2000 merc mountaineer premier 5.0
It runs perfect other than typical maintenance ie brakes, tires, ball joints. Only thing that went out was the front drive shaft. I did a custom rebuild and it only lasted a month. Don't rebuild it yourself the kits are made of very cheap metal. I bought a remanufactured one and it works great. I have a chip in it and a custom built cold air intake.

225,x.. and counting. Bought it new, changed the oil every 3k.

173000+ and running great, a very good motor :)

Just hit 211k on my 96 5.0 AWD! Threw plugs and wires on her a few thousand mile ago, She's still fast. Me and the T-case are gonna fight though.

Had a 96' that was beat bad! 248,000 when sold and still ran like a top. Original motor and trans.

302+4r70w+8.8=WIN

98 4l sohc

244,000 and running great. I had the transmission rebuilt at around 140,000 and it's still running great too.

TimC

Mine just joined the 200,000 mile club yesterday :cool:

200kClub.jpg

No engine work. Replaced water pump, but only because I had to replace the radiator.
Well, did upper intake gasket too, but it wasn't the cause of the vacuum leak :rolleyes:
Transmission was rebuilt at one point, and I'm sure it died because it sucked in water.

238+ and needs TLC

Rebuilt cooling system and everything on the front of the engine except PS pump (kit sitting in the wings). AC system parts purchased along with engine rebuild kits with new lifters. Working on rear suspension at the moment.:hammer:

148k on my 1997 and the engine went the other day and the timing chain broke on the drivers side. Saw a crack on my valve cover so I opened the crack more and you can see the chain isn't moving when you try to crank it over. Now looking for another 4.0 SOHC

212,000 on my 98 V8 AWD. Original owner. Only major repairs have been a radiator and air conditioner compressor. Synthetic blend and filter every 3k. Plugs and wires twice as often as recommended.
I might drive like a pussy, but this pussy gets over 18mpg.

178k on the clock when I bought my 97 4.0 sohc exploder
But the clock doesn't work anymore.
Not sure actual mileage

As far as me or the previous owner knows, no major work done.

Runs and drives Great just hard starting sometimes!

200k, 200k, 180k,and 140k. All 5.0's. Just wondering if I should change the Timing chains in the two higher mileage ones. Whats the record on timing chain mileage before failure. I assume they are double roller.

1997 Sport 5 spd 2WD

172,000. Had heads replaced after PLASTIC radiator broke while on freeway. 5 spd manual trans rebuilt at about 100,000. Replaced PCM twice. Mechanically, it's fairly well built. Electrical, not so much.

116k on the exploder/ 142k on the mounty body. Motor has 65k, came out of my buddies explorer during the build.

148,000 but just got in what might be the last stand for this girl. I was told the crunch I just received on the outside drivers door would cost too much to fix and my insurance wants to total it. Any ideas?

148,000 but just got in what might be the last stand for this girl. I was told the crunch I just received on the outside drivers door would cost too much to fix and my insurance wants to total it. Any ideas?
If you love your X as much as I love mine, you'll bite the bullet and go to your local junk yard and find another door that's the same color as yours. This will keep you from getting that salvage title. Or, you can allow your insurance to total her; then buy her back and fix it - if you don't mind the salvage title. That might save you some doe.;)

347XXX and still going

I have 347XXX on her and she is still motoring on. The transmission finally died and I am changing that out. Engine is original except for plugs and some sensors. Change oil every 3-5 K (I try for 3 but sometimes...) Replaced a/c compressor at 65K, brakes, rotors other consumables as they were needed.

Body is starting to show signs of rust along drivers door and rear tailgate. I will get after that soon. Otherwise I plan on running her as long as she holds together.

I am thinking about picking up a used engine and remanufacturing it so that I have a replacement to drop in when this one wears out.
Pat:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wood, that is impressive. 347k on an Explorer is pretty good.

My 96 4.0 has 197k. Trans just rebuilt and ready FO MO! :D

Back