How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny???? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny????

I feel your pain!!

2002 XLT 4.6L automatic transmission has gone to meet the great mechanic in the sky after 124,800 miles. I bought the car new and have had no transmission problems until this past week. The first symptom was the rapidly flashing O/D light. I pulled over and checked things out. When I restarted the SUV, it didn't come back on. The next day, after driving it to school, my wife calls me and says that "it won't go"! It now sits at the dealer who has quoted me a price of around $3700 to replace the transmission. News flash. I just checked my wallet. I don't have $3700 to spend on a replacement. To say I'm frustrated would be somewhat of an understatement right now.

The dealer's recommendation has been made before they have even opened the thing up. "We always suggest replacing the transmission in cases like this". I'm not really sure what "like this" means if they haven't looked inside. Perhaps they've pulled the codes and that's the recommended protocol.

I'd be interested in input or suggestions (preferably legal ones) on how to approach this with the dealer other than the old BOHICA approach. (Bend Over. Here It Comes Again!).

:roll::shoot:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

152k 03 Eddie Bauer still going good im the second owner so im going to do a fluid change theres a delay and a creak sound when engaging into reverse or drive as well also otherwise all ok

REPLY 2 Redtrac01

Thanks. I'll definitely post on the transmission forum. I plan to spend a good bit of tomorrow at some local transmission shops. If anyone has recommendations in the Birmingham, AL area (especially south of town), I'd appreciate some input.

:salute:

2003 5r55W with around 65k, no trans problems to date. However, I do view automatic transmissions as wear items, eventually, it WILL need to be replaced.

When that time comes, although hopefully WELL before that time, I'll be swapping in a built 2wd trans, and starting my 4wd to 2wd conversion.

(I moved from WI to sunny California, no need for 4wd anymore, and it is all disconnected from issues anyways )

The trip out here beat the snot out of this trans and amazingly it didn't skip a beat. I'm talking 5500LB trailer, inside loaded to the gills, WOT in first gear barely able to maintain 20mph up a mountain in 108* heat for approx 10 minutes. This is from bullhead city on our way to Las Vegas after being turned away from the hoover damn due to the trailer...

I have a 2002 xlt with 142000 original miles....I havent had any problems (knock on wood!)

My 1998 has almost 114,950 miles on the original 5R55W tranny and there are no problems. I haven't had it flushed yet, but will be having that done soon

Don't have it flushed. Just have the filter changed and fluid refilled. With that mileage on it, there's a very good chance that a flush will do more damage than good anyways.

Tranny flushes are little more than another gimmick that shops use to make extra money off uneducated consumers.

Show me some proof that regular flushing extends the life of a tranny over just changing out the fluid in the pan and changing the filter at regular intervals, then we'll talk.

Thank God for the Warranty!

My 03 X has been at the dealer for 5 days now. So far, they have replaced the ring and pinion, the fuel sending unit, and are diagnosing the tranny problems I've been having. Luckily they were able to replicate this problem as it is intermitent. As of now, they are saying at least a new valve body, at most a new transmission. It only has 60k Miles!!!! Thankfully it is all under warranty and I only have a $50 deductible.:D

03 XLT 4.0L auto 4x4 5R55W 110K still going strong

This is my DD. I put on about 2k a month, 80% hwy / 20% city

Just changed fluid and filter at 100k using Amsoil ATF

--Joe

My 2002 has a little over 113k on it and I have had no transmission problems. I did have it serviced at around 100k. The dealer put in a new filter and changed the fluid for me. It shifts a little better afterwards than before.

I have a 2002 V8 4.6L XLT... I have about 110 000 KM Still okay!

I dont know if some one find the transmission "slow" on the shifting??

Pepide ;)

I have a 2002 V8 4.6L XLT... I have about 110 000 KM Still okay!

I dont know if some one find the transmission "slow" on the shifting??

Pepide ;)

These transmissions feel strange when they shift. Lots of times mine feels like the PCM is stepping on an imaginary clutch pedal between gearshifts. The power drops off until the shift is completed, then comes back once the next gear is engaged.

These transmissions feel strange when they shift. Lots of times mine feels like the PCM is stepping on an imaginary clutch pedal between gearshifts. The power drops off until the shift is completed, then comes back once the next gear is engaged.

Probably does that to cut down on firm shifts/less wear on the trans?

02 4.0 AWD with 83k, has done quite a bit of towing, no problems.
02 4.6 AWD with 92k, still all original.

Dam, I would hate to have your gas bill:confused:

:D Yeah! That is it! I imagine that's it's the normal way's that the transmissions shift!? Do a Superchip can change something?

Ciao !

Pepide ! ;)

2003 Eddie Bauer 4WD, 71,000 miles and not one problem with the transmission.

44K with no problems yet. Speaking of which has any one used Amsoil universal trans oil in their trans and what have you experienced?
2004 2WD Limited FlexFuel

Hi guys, first post. :)

About 75k on my original transmission, '02 XLT 4WD 4.0. Got the blinky OD light, $2300 for a transmission rebuild.

Other than that, the truck's been the best vehicle I've owned. I'm keeping it until it dies now. (Well, I don't really have a choice after spending all that money on the transmission... ;))

Have a 2002 XLT with 72K. Previous owner paid $2000 last year for a transmission rebuilt done by AAMCO when it had 66K miles. Having seen so many with transmission problems, my questions are: does AAMCO usually do good transmission job? how many more miles one can typically count on a rebuilt transmission (assuming AAMCO did a good job)?

Two people told me to stay away from AAMCO (one of them a friend of mine, and the other, a tech at Pep Boys). I had my transmission replaced at a local mom and pop shop recommended by Pep Boys and it's been perfect since then. Probably about a year ago.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Milage

I have 77K. Bought my 02 4.6L yesterday. Hope it'll last.

Back