How many people have had the airbag warning light activate | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many people have had the airbag warning light activate

Have you had the airbag warning light activate?

• No - my airbag light has never activated

Votes: 26 21.0%
  • Yes - I took it to the dealer and it has been fixed for more than 6 months

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Yes - I took it to the dealer and it has been fixed for less than 6 months

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • Yes - I took it to the dealer and the problem was not fixed. It has come back on again.

Votes: 18 14.5%
  • Yes - I have not taken it to be fixed.

Votes: 54 43.5%
  • Yes - I fixed it myself.

Votes: 5 4.0%

• Total voters
Just keep in mind that as long as the light is ON that the entire airbag system is inoperative.

Peter
YIKES...not what i was lead to believe initially at our dealer !! mission more critical now, thanks !!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

YIKES...not what i was lead to believe initially at our dealer !! mission more critical now, thanks !!!
see the following post http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...seat-belt-warning.349429/page-11#post-3490435 and the following post 256.
There has been some discussion as to whether the entire system is technically OFF or not but I'd want to err on the side of caution especially if transporting family members. If the dealer insists this is not the case, see if they'll put it in writing while you wait for parts.

Peter

I'd like to share an interesting Ford airbag warning light story. I work for a very large department, when at the peak of the Crown Victoria PI (2010 / 2011), we had over 1,200 of them.

The airbag warning lights would start coming on in these cars 2-3 years after they were issued. It ended up being the small airbag warning bulb right over the glove box was burned out. Basically, it was the bulb that lit up when it detected that no one was in the passenger seat and it indicated that the passenger side airbag was inactive due to no one sitting there. The guys work alone and the cars are ran many, many hours each day, so that little bulb would just stay lit. Once it burnt out, the main airbag light on the instrument cluster would illuminate. Kind of bothers you seeing that. I forgot what the error code actually said, but it was showing a circuitry problem since that little bitty bulb was burnt out. The bulb was an odd little thing and it couldn't be bought at a parts house. The next thing you know, the mechanics are going through the junk yard, pulling every little bulb they could find. Once you installed a working bulb, the trouble code would instantly go out on it's own.

Not Explorer related, but wanted to share.

i put the rear seats up (folded) and wiggled the connections under the seats a bit and this seemed to have cleared the error light for now..not sure which is bad but its seems its one of them.

thanks.....and bummer....going back to 2012 and i'm hard pressed to find one that actually ends with a positive resolution

Intermittent airbag warning - it's back!

The last time I remember it was happened long time ago and its back again few days ago, so I scan using forscan and found the following:

Code: B0061 – Passenger Seatbelt Tension Sensor
Fault symptom: Circuit open
Module: OCS

Code: B00A0 – Occupant Classification System
Fault Symptom: Event information
Module: RCM

I am out of warranty, so I’m seeking for DYI to resolve this issue. Thanks

Hi guys,
So a quick history about my light on a 2012 XLT explorer. My light came on a few months back. It doesn't blink, it is a solid light. After about 3 days it went off. It stayed off for about 2 weeks. It came back on and same thing, not blinking just a solid light. Stayed on for about a week and then went off for about a week. It finally stayed off for some time but not it is back. I was thinking it may be a lose wire but don't even know where to look. Maybe I need to pull a fuse but couldn't find the correct fuse in the manual. I also understand this may be a common occurrence. Ideas???
Thank you!

Hi guys,
So a quick history about my light on a 2012 XLT explorer. My light came on a few months back. It doesn't blink, it is a solid light. After about 3 days it went off. It stayed off for about 2 weeks. It came back on and same thing, not blinking just a solid light. Stayed on for about a week and then went off for about a week. It finally stayed off for some time but not it is back. I was thinking it may be a lose wire but don't even know where to look. Maybe I need to pull a fuse but couldn't find the correct fuse in the manual. I also understand this may be a common occurrence. Ideas???
Thank you!
Your thread has been moved to this one on the same issue. You may also want to check out; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/air-bag-light-seat-belt-warning.349429/
NOTE: As long as the airbag warning light is ON, your airbag system is inoperative!

Peter

I have had the airbag light for a while now. Had it repaired under warranty and has popped back up after 3 years... I ignored it since the car is out of warranty. That is stupid to disable all airbag systems over a seatbelt pre-tensioner... I’m sure the other systems could at least save my life in the event of a crash! sometimes the airbag light goes away but right now, it has been staying on for me. Anybody have pics of where the connector is?

Our 2017 Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster shows the “Front Airbag” indicator light illuminated continuously. The owner’s manual says to have the system checked by an authorized dealer and we shall. In the meantime, are there any ideas as to what would cause this light to stay illuminated?

6C6E84BA-E62E-42B7-8BC5-3A116DDA0BDD.jpeg

Need to pull the codes. Did it flash at all? Or just come on steady? How long after the vehicle turns on did the light come on?

Need to pull the codes. Did it flash at all? Or just come on steady? How long after the vehicle turns on did the light come on?

Comes on upon ignition start. Goes off and then back on again within 30-60 secs and remains on. No blinking.

Check the RCM fuse first in the BCM before going too far. Then if the fuse is solid, pull codes.

Check the RCM fuse first in the BCM before going too far. Then if the fuse is solid, pull codes.

Thank you. I had to research the acronyms and manual again but found where to check the proper fuse. Will advise outcome. Thanks!

Our 2017 Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster shows the “Front Airbag” indicator light illuminated continuously. The owner’s manual says to have the system checked by an authorized dealer and we shall. In the meantime, are there any ideas as to what would cause this light to stay illuminated?
Your thread was merged with this one. There are also a few others with similar issues. In many cases the trouble was with the wiring/connector under the driver's seat. It is important to have it fixed as the airbag system is inoperative as long as the warning light is ON.

Peter

^ Was that published in the owner's guide, Peter? I don't recall reading that.. it seems odd that they'd disable the entire system for what might be a fault in only a single part of it.

^ Was that published in the owner's guide, Peter? I don't recall reading that.. it seems odd that they'd disable the entire system for what might be a fault in only a single part of it.

I've wondered the same thing. Doesn't make sense.

What happens if a connector for one of the inflatable belts comes loose moments before a crash? "Sorry, no one gets an air bag because the one belt in the rear is inoperable." Just a hypothetical example.

I have read that here a few times. Page 48 of the 2017Manual refers to the light staying on, among other things, and says;
If any of these things happen, even
intermittently, have the supplemental
restraint system serviced at an authorized
dealer immediately. Unless serviced, the
system may not function properly in the
event of a crash.

Although it doesn't specifically say it won't work, it may not. I believe one member posted that hid mechanic told him it would not work. Better to be safe I guess.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep, there's a may qualifier in there... that said, if the telltale is on, there's a chance that the entire RCM is down (ask me how I know ;)) and that would indeed kill any supplemental restraints.

Back