How many people own or have owned an Aerostar? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many people own or have owned an Aerostar?

That's a nice one Jon. I never knew that you owned one. What year was it? Do you still have anything left over from it?

Nope-
It had a clarion pro audio db825? 2 old school rockford fosgate( black punch) amps , 2 Image Dynamics 12 dvc subs, Polk db's 6.5" components in 6 spots, and helper coil overs on the rear.

It was a 1993 model.
BTW
I dug real hard to get this picture up.:D

I actually had to find it and scan it. lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Both of mine where sound quality vehicles. The 90 qualified for the 96 USAC finals but got the invite a week after selling it. The 89 was the 99 IASCA South Dakota state champion and the zone 6 points leader I didn't get an invite but I was in the middle of a move.
The aerostar is good for a sound quality vehicle. If you know the quirks.

Tim

I once had a 1987 that had 3.0L V-6,5spd. with 3.73 gears and a limited slip.It was a work van.When it was empty it would haul A$$!!!It would would lay rubber in 1rst,2nd and chirp 3rd!Had it for years,never gave me much trouble at all.Besides being ugly as hell they are a decent van!

Had a 1995 3.0 Aerostar which went well over 100k miles and sold it to my son's high school football coach for $400(felt sorry for him, those guys don't make much money).

my mom had a 1990 aerostar and 9 years ago when i was 15 I took it for a joy ride when she was out with her friends. I went to the nearest parking lot with my friend and did some powerbrake burnouts until the rear end basically exploded... every time i made a right turn the rear end sounded like it was about to fall off... i parked it home and when my mom took it out the next day i was in the car with her and it started making loud ass sounds i basically said "what did you do!" that was the end of that van. mechanic said it wasnt worth fixing and so she junked it.

Aerostar

hi all, I'm new here, but please save the stones for later.

Ok, I bought a brand new Aerostar XL in June 1986. I was probably the FIRST to buy an Aerostar in the USA. So eat your heart out. It was two-tone Grey. Shifter on the floor.

Kept it for 13 years after which the transmission started to fail, don't they always? Traded it for another, a green 1992 XL which I still drive.

The '86 had transmission problems but no a/c problems.
The '92 has no transmission problems but it has a/c problems.

But these 3.0 mini vans corner like contact cement, they leave BMW's and Toyotas breathing my dust, so I'm a happy boy.

Oil and filter changes is all I've done to the '92. Every now and then a coolant flush. Front brakes suck in both, do not last.

I hereby declare my hatred for the FS10 a/c compressor. Biggest piece of :eek: ever made. I want to adapt a different compressor. Thank you.

Jose A.

Welcome to this forum! There are different compressor options. I've even experimented with an electric compressor. I assume that both vans were new, and not pre-owned by anyone else? How many miles did you get out of them?

thank you! I'm glad I joined.

Well I hope I won't bore you but here's details:

The '86 had 224k miles when I traded it for the '92. The '86 I bought new, (there were no used ones in 1986).

The '92 I bought in 1999 used, but was like new. Today it has 200k miles. Runs and shifts great. Interior is like new, exterior too, no rust, zero. Recently I've been detailing it, replacing the yellowed headlamps, cosmetic stuff.

For me it has to be rear wheel drive and it has to have shock absorbers. No front wheel drive or McPhearson Struts for me thank you.

The Aerostar is RWD and has shocks, that's two reasons why I've kept it. But the first reason is reliability. It has been 100% reliable save for maintaining the front brakes, the rotors warp in less than a year. The same thing happened with the '86. No, I don't drive with the foot on the brake pedal, the front brakes overheat and warp the rotors. But overall the Aerostar rides like a car, not like a truck. That's another reason I've kept it, it's quiet inside.

A/C:

I have rebuilt the a/c system in my '92 Aerostar more than 3 times. I'm tired. The FS10 compressor always fails. I refuse to install another FS10. I've had it with Black Death and that compressor. There has to be a better compressor for the Aerostar.

Any specific suggestions for an alternative compressor (and the adapting Brackets and manifold hose required) will be appreciated.

My '92 has the twin air system. I want to make it work, I want a freezer in there. I want to keep using R12, I refuse to use R134a. If not R12, then an alternative refrigerant like Freeze12, but no R134a. :D

Jose A.

Were the A/C lines completely flushed prior to installing the new compressors? As for the brakes, which brand were you using? I recommend the Wagner SX series for semi metallic pads or the Performance Friction carbon metallic pads. Wagner, and Ford make good rotors. Stay away from Bendix. I have product reviews on these pads in the product review section.

yes, a complete flush of each line and both evaps, some lines replaced, new condenser, new accumulator, new compressor, new o-tubes, new manifold lines, and didn't last a year. Three times, compressor failure.

The rotors I used were from AutoZone.

Jose A.

Reviving a dead one here...

Not sure what year it was, but I believe it was an older one, very boxy styled.

He took out the middle row of seats for "extracurricular activities". Meaning hauling his band's stuff around... It was tight, I've thought about getting one and pimping out. He said he got pretty good gas mileage with it, only concern I'd have is the engine bay space and being able to work on it.

Either way, it was a solid van, just had it's problems like any older car/truck

I had a '95 bronze shortie with a 3.0 RWD. I bought it at auction for $235 with 135k miles on it. Then it got dinged in the rear corner and the insurance adjuster gave me $3200 for it, too expensive to repair like new, and then he let me buy it back for $125, and I ran it til it had 205k on it, then I sold it for $1100. My neighbor had a '93 that died and I took the power windows, mirrors and locks and put them in mine. I had to put in new muffler/pipes, heater control valve, stabilizer links. I loved that box, but I had to switch to all OBDII cars at some point.

87 Aerostar

I have an 87 Aerostar, 3.0, 5 speed and it has over 300,000 miles on it,, and it keeps going and going and I'm starting to sound like a battery commercial.
:)

It has the original engine and rear end but the transmission I replaced with a good used one from a 1985 Ranger about ten years ago. The engine does use a quart to two quarts every 3000 miles mostly due to lower end leakage, (pan gasket, crank seals, and timing cover) depending on the type of driving. It's less with mostly highway driving. I service it every 3000 miles or three to four months and currently use Shell Rotella T
15W40. I used Motorcraft 20W40 in it till they quit selling it.

my grandparents had one that was either a 93 or 94. it was the one that was ridiculously long. dark blue with grey bottom. that thing was fully loaded. they got it back in 95 and had it up till about 2-3 years ago. they drove that thing to both coasts multiple times, canada, mexico, and everywhere in between. i'm almost positive it's been in every one of the continental 48 states. it had to of had well over 200k on it by the time they sold it to one of my great-uncles. that thing had a lot of pickup and go, but i never liked the way that it rode.

1991 eAWD 4.0 115,000. It's a wreck, but I love it. The front seats really fit nicely. A/C is the old R-12 and I don't know if I can get it anymore. Some one did a hit and run on the Drivers side amidships. Looks like hell, but doesn't affect the ride. Any one having trouble with the power window rocker switch ?? I may be able to help.

Had a 95 sport for about 10 years. Good van. I had to replace 1 head, what a pain in the butt that was. It was a 3.0 2wd auto.

original owner

Bought my red Sport new in jan. 94. Been to hell and back. Totaled once, brought back from the dead with all in color parts (no painting, matched perfectly, from several donors!) have a new Eddie Bauer Expy but would rather drive my hooptie aeroSTAR!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Eddie

I have never owned a truck or Van & now I have a little of both Van on a 1/2 ton Ford EAWD.:D I did have two 57 Chev wagon one 2 door & a 4 door belair. This is my 1990 Eddie 4 litre she just turned on 80 K miles plus she goes pretty good.
Thanks, White Lion.:)
MyAerostarT-type.jpg

MyAerostar.jpg

My90AerostarEddieBour40Litre4SDEAWD.jpg

Back