How much gas left after the gauge says 0 miles?? | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How much gas left after the gauge says 0 miles??

Those would be if everything is perfect on a vehicle that the gauge has been calibrated properly.

The only way to know for sure is to get a 2-5 gallon can of gas and put it in the back of your Explorer. Then drive until it says 0 miles to empty and then log the miles down and see just how far you can go. Then put in the extra gas that you have and head to a filling station.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I tend to believe that the warning light is really a fuel pump saver light as there is plenty of fuel left in the tank to keep it cool and those that extend driving will only do so for a short period before they get nervous about running out of gas.

Also, that chart does not refer to what model years it covers so maybe the 4th gen Explorer had only 1 gallon left when the light came on. Just pointing out that the info is incomplete. ;)

The link to the article I provided does state these are the 50 best selling vehicles for 2015, so I would think that would be 5th Gen.

To your point about the fuel pump, my Honda CRV manual even states that the reserve fuel, while it's there to help you make it to a gas station, is primarily to give you ample opportunity to fill up so you don't damage the fuel pump.

None of the in tank fuel pumps are designed to be ran dry since they use the fuel for cooling and as a lubricant. Even the frame mounted electric fuel pumps are not designed to be ran dry.

I never could understand why people will drive until there is zero fuel left in the tank. How hard is it really just to stop and fill the tank when it gets to its lower limits?

None of the in tank fuel pumps are designed to be ran dry since they use the fuel for cooling and as a lubricant. Even the frame mounted electric fuel pumps are not designed to be ran dry.

I never could understand why people will drive until there is zero fuel left in the tank. How hard is it really just to stop and fill the tank when it gets to its lower limits?

I think it's more about the astonishment people have when their 18 gallon tank only takes 15 gallons at fill up. Not so much about running until the tank is empty. I think most would rather have the pump show that their vehicle took an amount of gas that was closer to the capacity, having a gallon left. With that, having only a gallon left could create it's own anxiety under certain conditions. So, maybe it's a good idea to have 2 or 3 gallons left when the light comes on to alleviate that situation while looking for a gas station. Having knowledge of this really makes it a non issue, I think. :salute:

I already said this before: The reason the gas tank is smaller than previous generations is because it is more fuel efficient and the smaller tank in the newer cars have the same range as the bigger tanks in the older generations.

How is this "problem" different from any other gas car past, present, or future? It's always been a bad idea to run a car completely dry for a number of reasons and specifications are specifications. The tank is going to be the correct size, and you'll never be able to fill it completely full, because you'll never be able to truly empty it, even if you run out of gas (and inject your engine with sediment). Maybe it's designed to turn off before that can happen.

But hey, if you really want to be sure, get 18 gallons of maple syrup and pour it in. It's surely heavier than the gas inside, and will force it to float up. Then whoever does this will have peace of mind and can well sleep at night knowing they scienced it.

I already said this before: The reason the gas tank is smaller than previous generations is because it is more fuel efficient and the smaller tank in the newer cars have the same range as the bigger tanks in the older generations.

How is this "problem" different from any other gas car past, present, or future? It's always been a bad idea to run a car completely dry for a number of reasons and specifications are specifications. The tank is going to be the correct size, and you'll never be able to fill it completely full, because you'll never be able to truly empty it, even if you run out of gas (and inject your engine with sediment). Maybe it's designed to turn off before that can happen.

But hey, if you really want to be sure, get 18 gallons of maple syrup and pour it in. It's surely heavier than the gas inside, and will force it to float up. Then whoever does this will have peace of mind and can well sleep at night knowing they scienced it.

First of all, let me make it clear that I, personally, don't have a problem with the capacity or the function of the fuel system in either of my rigs. I don't ever really question the size of the tank as do some. I'm perfectly satisfied with it's size. And, I agree that capacity goes hand in hand with mileage efficiency. Speaking of automatically 'turning off', I remember the old Chevy Vegas had this feature when they ran low on oil which happened frequently.

Hah, no worries. I wasn't replying to you specifically... I was responding to the thread in general :)

This just feels like something students do when they are trying to stretch gas between paychecks. Because I remember doing that back in the day, when I was a poor starving student. We used to call it gas roulette.

This just feels like something students do when they are trying to stretch gas between paychecks. Because I remember doing that back in the day, when I was a poor starving student. We used to call it gas roulette.

I was one of those students and the question was always should I buy a six pack of beer for the night or put gas into my truck. The beer usually won out and I would walk to class for the rest of the week instead of driving.

Not that I'm someone who flirts with 0 miles left... but what's the furthest anyone's driven with the DTE saying 0 Miles?

This is not good. You could burn out the fuel pump.

Why would you even want to try would be my question?

I understand if it is a emergency or if you just blew off the last gas station that you passed 50 miles before but there is no reason to even try it.

Dejavu. I've seen this thread before....

Gas roulette is a bad idea for the health & longevity of your engine.

Usually you have somewhere between 1-2 gallons left when it hits 0 DTE.

I always like to try to fill up at half a tank. With how small the Explorer's fuel tanks are it's pretty often. My F150's 36 gallon fuel tank spoils me.

I've let it go down to DTE 0 once and that was a result of pumping bad fuel at an out of town gas station and I wanted to burn as much as possible,
As mentioned by Jason, there's still approximately 1gal left in the tank.

Not that I'm someone who flirts with 0 miles left... but what's the furthest anyone's driven with the DTE saying 0 Miles?
Using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature I found this thread and merged yours with it. The real question is how much gas is left not how far you can go. How far you can go depends on your driving style, conditions and whether you are towing or not.

Peter

My dad always called it "driving on fumes"

Got an easy 10 miles out of my F-250 once after the dummy light said "Zero" miles.

Put 35 in a 36 tank.

My bad it was 2 A.M. and I figured I could catch the next exit and get "Motion Lotion". The next exit was a little further than I thought...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back