how much is this '92 worth in parts? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how much is this '92 worth in parts?

Nomad84

Reaction score
City, State
Norman, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'86 Bronco II
If all goes as planned, I should be buying a '92 Eddie Bauer 4x4 Explorer 4 door tomorrow afternoon. The body is straight and there doesn't appear to be any rust. That's about the end of the pros. The back seat is in decent shape and the rest of the interior from there back is OK too, but the front is very rough. The dash looks to be in fair condition. The door panels are junk. The power windows are all iffy. The trans is no good. The transfer case may be OK. It's the pushbutton kind and I think it engaged correctly. It looks like it barfed power steering fluid out all over the engine recently, but other than that, the engine seems OK. It has decent power. It had enough oil and the color looked good too. The AC compressor is locked up (no belt so it doesn't affect how it runs). The truck has an alarm on it, so I'm assuming some wires are probably hacked up somewhere. I don't know whether this affects the engine wiring harness or dash wiring or both or neither, but I don't count on the wiring being good. The tires are bald, but the wheels look OK. Basically this is a very tired truck with a straight body, a maybe decent 150k mile engine, and as far as I can tell axles in decent shape (3.73 limited slip).

My question for you is this: How much could I expect to get if I parted out this truck? Frankly, there's not a lot on it that's good other than the body, axles, and wheels. The engine, t-case, dash and the back part of the interior may be worth something, but not a whole lot else. I'm just trying to figure out whether I'm getting a decent deal or not. I'll post the price I'm paying in a couple of days. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aside from the engine (which may be questionable), I'm not sure what you would have worth parting out. With a shot trans, AC compressor, and interior, it's probably not worth fixing. Just my opinion.

for parting out it will be fine.

but it is a lot of hassle and aggravation.

I got a 1991 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition for FREE....blown HG, and bad front door panels...eveything else was good....

I have sold off the parts commonly needed, like the transmisssion & transfercase, D35, 8.8" L/S Rear (3.73), window motors, steering column, seats, console...

I've had offers on my doors too..but didn't take it...

When all is said and done, I will have made about $1,000 off of this FREE vehicle....All I need is the frame for a rolling chassis so I can get started on a new suspension, and power train swap.

It just depends on your tools, & time if it is worth the effort to pull the parts and sell them.

craigslist, and EF are the best places to sell your items.

Ryan

I need a drivers side cylinder head.

I'm not planning to fix it. If I ever do, it would be completely stripped and get a whole new powertrain (5.0, solid axles, etc?). Worst case scenario, what are the body panels (two minor dents on the hatch, everything else is straight), dash, and axles worth? I can take the rest to the crusher if it comes down to it. I didn't really buy it to part out to make money. I just got it cheap enough that I felt it was worth the money for what I was looking for (mostly the axles). I plan on hanging onto it all for now in case I find another Explorer that is worth fixing up. Mostly I'm just curious what this one is worth. Thanks for the replies!

it is worth what ever it is worth to you.

to give an exact amount is just like looking in a crystal ball and as productive.

When all is said and done, I will have made about $1,000 off of this FREE vehicle....All I need is the frame for a rolling chassis so I can get started on a new suspension, and power train swap.

Ryan

The answer to your question was in my post...

Ryan

Back