1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

How much trans fluid?

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by BTR, June 16, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. BTR

BTR Member

City, State:
    Marietta, GA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2000 EXPLORER XLT 2WD
    How many quarts of trans fluid do I need to flush the trans using the technique where the lines to/from the radiator are unhooked, fluid is drained while the engine is running, and new fluid is added through the dipstick hole?

2000 Explorer, 6 cyl, 4.0L, SOHC

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. jlsparky7

jlsparky7 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Woodhaven, Mi
    1996 5.0 XLT AWD
    Probably 5 qts.

4. 66427

66427 Active Member

City, State:
    Clarksville, TN for now...or forever
    01 EB
    I don't know how many, but a flush will take more than 5.
    I'm thinking more like 15...

5. waskly

waskly Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Crooklyn NY!
    why would you want the trans to pump all the fluid out, and overheat doing it?

just do a partial flush, with they truck off, drop the pan, and new filter/gasket/ about 5 -7 quarts of fluid.

6. SoNic67

SoNic67 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Newport News, VA
    2001 V8 (Eddie Bauer) AWD
    Nonono... the new fluid will be sucked by one of the lines and the old one will be pumped out thru the other line.
    Nothing should go in the dipstick.

Bad part: by this method, you will need almost double the ammount of fluid in the system, to be perfectly "replaced". That is some 30 quarts!
    Of course, you can do a partial flush.

I usually just do the pan and filter. I have also added (for a while) an external filter on the lines that go to auxiliary cooler (they are ruber hoses, easy to work with). Drove with that filter for some 500 miles, without forcing the transmission, and then pull it out.

7. BTR

BTR Member

City, State:
    Marietta, GA
    2000 EXPLORER XLT 2WD
    Will it suck trans fluid into the other line?

Hmmmm. Will it actually suck trans fluid into the other line (the line that fluid is not coming out of)? I thought the other line wouldn't suck-in fluid because the fluid was "pushed" into the line by the outflow from the trans. Thus, new fluid had to be added via the dipstick hole. ???

8. budwich

budwich Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ont
    96 XL
    I think you are right... at least according to some posts. Actually, there was discussion about "which line"... in that discussion, it was "indicated" that you will see fluid come out of BOTH lines.... :-( Basically, you need to "cap" one and have a receiver pan / hose on the other. The "plan" that was indicated was you run your vehicle for a "brief period" to get about 4 litres/quarts of fluid out, then stop, and then you add thru the dip, replacing the 4 liters. You do this "method" for a "period" until you "like" the color (fresh) coming out or until... your supply of replacement fluid has been depleted along with your wallet... probably in the 16-20 quarts/litres.... :)