Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

HOW TO:1st gen horn relocation.

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by Fordexplorerguy1, February 21, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Fordexplorerguy1

Fordexplorerguy1 Active Member

City, State:
    NC
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    94 XLT 4.0 tow package?
    Hey everyone i have been getting great responces for whatever problems i have had with my ex and i just thought i would give back with this thread...
    I was fed up with were the horn was, its tucked up behind the drivers side headlight assembly and i thought i could find a better place for it so heres what i did.

Step:1 was to obviously remove the plastic grill to get room to work on the new mounting location.

Step:2 was to remove the horns from there original place... Mine was rusted on there good so use some pb blaster to help get it undone.

Step:3 Now unbolt the horns from the mounting bracket and clean off the rust (if any)

Step:4 You will need to find some piece of angle iron, plate steel or even sheet metal (whatever you can find) and you are going to mount the bracket in front of the radiator on that middle bolt. you will need to drill 3 holes evenly spaced no less than 4-5 inches i would say( i havnt measured) and it should look something like this :

[​IMG]

as you can see the horns will be mounted on each side slightly offset so they wont catch any water if its raining.

Step:5 Now if you did what i did and used a piece of pre drilled angle iron you need to Clean off the paint around the bolts to get a GOOD GROUND that includes where you are mounting it too. this is how mine looked :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

as you can see i ground it to fresh metal to get a good ground.

Step:6 Now for the wiring all i did basically was ran a jumper between the two horns and extended the one coming off the wiring harness theres a hole close to where they were originally mounted so i just ran it through there.

Step:7 make sure everything is tight, and secure and test it! I was surprised how loud it made it because it wasn't being muffled by the engine bay fender etc. Overall im happy with it and i hope someone else does it!
    thanks!

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Anime

Anime EF YEAH!! Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    2018 EX Sport Concept
    Interesting idea, though you may want to use the angle bracket to mount them facing downwards rather than forward, since they could get water inside facing forward, especially when driving in rain or on wet roads behind other vehicles, which is probably part of why they are hidden in the front corner.

I haven't had any issues with the horns though...they are about the loudest stock ones I've heard, even in the factory location.

4. Fordexplorerguy1

Fordexplorerguy1 Active Member

City, State:
    NC
    94 XLT 4.0 tow package?
    Yeah i realized that, I have not been able to drive it due to my transmission, But i will go rotate them so there pointing toward the headlights and not straight ahead....