Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

How to: 2002 Explorer rear wheel bearing replacement (pictures)

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Tyler92, August 15, 2009.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. mikeinri

mikeinri Well-Known Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    04 Explorer, 94 XLT (RIP)
    This is a great picture, shows the snap ring we've been talking about (recessed into the knuckle, holding in the bearing).

As for your "jackstands" wow do you have a deathwish....

Mike

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. vaprtrl

vaprtrl New Member

City, State:
    Akron, OH
    2002 XLT
    Thanks for the post! Passenger side took me two weeks of anti-seize and back/forth to work to try to figure out how to get out the upper control arm post. The CHISEL was the eureka moment.

Driver's side went much more quickly - about 2 hours of disassembly and working the chisel, 2 hours f-ing around with the bearing retaining ring, another hour pressing out and in and f-ing around with the new retaining ring, and about an hour to reinstall.

Had to come on the web site to find the axle hub nut torque spec.

4. lee803

lee803 New Member

City, State:
    Illinois
    Is this typical on a 2004 Explorer?

5. mikeinri

Seems to be typical on all Explorers, once you get enough mileage on them. I had to replace them on my 94 as well.

Mike

6. sgarcia89lx

sgarcia89lx New Member

City, State:
    Ansonia ,CT
    2003 Explorer
    A BIG Thank you !! i had trouble with the upper arm coming off i ended removing everything else and turning the whole knuckel around to pry the damn thing off. i took the assembly to work and had the hub and bearing pressed off and on at work time to go home and reinstall. Thanks again this post helped me out alot also.:thumbsup: :)

7. mikeinri

Fun, aren't they? ;)

Mike

8. jfay

jfay New Member

City, State:
    Warrington, PA
    2002 XLT
    2002 XLT Rear Wheel Bearing R&R Tutorial

Tyler;
    Thanks so much for your detailed instructions. I think I am going to have to replace both rear wheel bearings. Without your details I would have no hope. Thanks again.
    Jfay

9. Semides88

Semides88 New Member

City, State:
    Yucca AZ, currently stationed in Wiesbaden, Germany
    2002 Explorer XLS 4.0 V6
    Gents, I had the same noise that everyone keeps refering to, so I went down to the hobby shop here on my base and decided to try to figure it out. Guess what it was? haha. Definately the driver side rear bearing. Now I am trying to order it on discountautoparts.com but I don't know which bearing it is. I didn't get all the way down to the bearing earlier (we figured out it was the bearing via the sound the hub made when rotated) so I don't know what it looks like. If any of you gentllemen could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

10. Semides88

Semides88 New Member

City, State:
    Yucca AZ, currently stationed in Wiesbaden, Germany
    2002 Explorer XLS 4.0 V6
    I shall.........

I am going to be taking on this same project myself this Sunday. I have the bearing, and the auto hobby shop I am visiting should have the rest, but do I need to replace the hub? Do you think the messed up bearing might have damaged it at all? I'm new to this so please help me out.

11. mrau92me

mrau92me Member

City, State:
    Decatur, AL
    '02 Mountaineer

Last edited: July 27, 2010
  12. Convict1997

Convict1997 Active Member

City, State:
    Concord, NC
    1996 2wd XLT 4.0 OHV auto
    I tackled this job on my 02 the other day. Working by myself, it took about two hours to get the drivers side apart. It would have gone much quicker but I wasted a lot of time trying to remove a stuck rotor. I thought the parking brake shoes were holding it, but it turned out it was just frozen to the hub. After removing the knuckle from the vehicle, I just pounded on the hub where it protrudes through the rotor and it popped right off. I wasn't too worried about being gentle as I was putting in new hub/bearing assemblies and new brakes. The passenger side went much easier and I had it off it a little over an hour. Took the knuckles to the shop and had the bearing/hub assemblies pressed out and the new ones in. It took about 4 hours to get it all back together. I wasted a lot of time screwing around with getting the parking brakes adjusted, or I would have been done sooner. I was dreading this job after reading all the posts on here talking about what a bitch it is but, for me, it wasn't that bad. The truck has been garage kept for most of it's life before I got it so it has zero rust. Everything came apart fairly easily. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. And I may have to. I'm still getting a grinding sound from the rear but, I can't tell if I just got a bad bearing or if the differential is making noise.

13. mrau92me

mrau92me Member

City, State:
    Decatur, AL
    '02 Mountaineer
    I don't think replacing the hub is necessary unless you find that it's damaged by a disintegrated bearing. I spoke with some others who work on their cars who agree. I also think that by the mere fact that they sell the bearing separately at the auto parts stores means that many people just change the bearing.

14. 580440

580440 New Member

02 explorer torque specs for rear bearing replacement

Can someone tell me all the torque specs for replacing the rear wheel bearing on an 02 expolrer. Is there torque specs for the pinch bolt, lower bolt under the hub, upper ball joint, and what ever other pieces I need to take apart.

15. bookbinder

bookbinder New Member

City, State:
    Kansas City
    '02 Limited
  16. mrau92me

mrau92me Member

City, State:
    Decatur, AL
    '02 Mountaineer
    I'm currently waiting on a shop to press out my hub & bearing. I remember for sure that my Haynes manual says 203 ft-lbs on the axle nut but I don't remember what the pinch bolts are, but Tyler92 is quoted on the first page of this thread as saying:

"Torque the pinch bolts to 66 Ft Lbs. The axle nut shows 203 Ft Lbs. I feel this is too much so I went with 175 Lbs and will check it periodically. My thought is that possibly the bearings wore out prematurely do an over tight axle nut. Your call on this."

17. mrau92me

mrau92me Member

City, State:
    Decatur, AL
    '02 Mountaineer
    Just reassembled the job today. So glad not to hear that annoying roaring sound from the back. Anyway, 66 ft-lb for both pinchbolts, 111 for the lower control arm, and 203 for the axle nut. All this info came from Haynes manual. I highly recommend to everyone to buy one.

18. cleancutranger

cleancutranger New Member

City, State:
    TN
    2001 Sport Trac
    PLEASE STICKY!!!
    I am in the middle of changing the bearing out on my wife's 04' Explorer. Thanks for the Great Info!!!

19. mrau92me

mrau92me Member

City, State:
    Decatur, AL
    '02 Mountaineer
    Excuse my ignorance, but I'm gonna ask a dumb question here. What's a sticky? I take it's kind of like a "sticky note," a.k.a. post-it note?

20. cleancutranger

cleancutranger New Member

City, State:
    TN
    2001 Sport Trac
    no problem it is a "sticky note" It just moves the thread to the top of the forum to help other people find it.

21. DEE007

DEE007 New Member

City, State:
    Phoenix, az
    I

Maaaan this was very very helpful. I was stuck and bout to give up but somthin told me to look online and found this chat. U saved me $400. Thanks..... I'm still not done yet but atleast I have an idea of what I'm doing now. Ur a life saver.....