Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

How to access/open sidemarker lights

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods' started by Rainlord, June 16, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. Rainlord

Rainlord Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    Explorer 2012 XLT
    I'm in the process of changing out all the old "standard" bulbs on my 2012 Explorer XLT with LEDs and so far so good. However, I'm now at the sidemarker lights (the tiny little lights just below the headlights, it's a w5w bulb according to the manual) and can't figure out how to open them or get at the bulb. I can't seem to find any instructions anywhere on it on Google or on here. I can see the wire under the hood, but without removing the whole headlight assembly I can't see where it goes (and my arms are too thick to get very far). I figure there must be an easier way than doing that. I tried prying at it with a flat screwdriver but nothing was giving away easily.

Does anyone know how to get them open or how to pop them out to get access to the bulb?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
    The following thread doesn't really go into detail about the sidemarker lights but it would seem that you have to remove, at least partially, the headlight assembly.
    http://www.explorerforum.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/led-turn-signal-how-to-front-rear.386681/

Peter