Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

HOW TO: ball mount for CB antenna installation

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by Lankhimself, June 8, 2008.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. bronchole

bronchole Driveway flexing! Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1997 Monsterneer
    Callsign:
    KI6MCO
    In my experience with ballmounts mounted to the passenger side tend to loosen up over time. I beleive this is due to the direction the ball mount rotates when the antenna is struck by trees and such. The vibration/impact is transmitted to the tightening nut in the same direction as you would use to loosen it.

It is also allot more complicated to install and re-tighten the ball mount on the passenger side because you need to remove the entire panel and sub-woofer to do it on that side. Also, keep in mind that if you have the sub woofer over there that will limit where you can place the ball mount on that side.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. IRONHIDE

IRONHIDE New Member

City, State:
    Magee MS
    99 Sport 4x4
    [​IMG]

As you can see here, I had an antenna mounted to the bumper. I don't know how, but my cheap meter showed the SWR to be 1.3, BUT I could tell I wasn't hearing as well as I did with a cheap Tram magnetic mount antenna that I had on the roof.

You can also see the primed area where I removed two dents below the window. Obviously, I have no issues with drilling there, and I DON'T have a subwoofer to get in my way. It just seems that side is SCREAMING to get the mount! Lol!

Would I be okay if I just used some lock tight on it?

Also, I have considered using a modified firestick 5/8 wave top load antenna that I have. It's about 6.5 feet long. I wanted extra height from it, so I removed about 2 feet of the antenna wire from the base of the antenna, and added a 2' whip. Sounds crazy, but I ended up with a 5/8 wave that's a couple feet shorter than a 102" stainless whip. Thoughts?

4. DeRocha

DeRocha NEX Vice President Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Brockton, MA
    '93 XLT 4x4
    I installed my ball mount antenna on the Passenger side. I did have initial problems with the mount loosening up by just having the wind (at highway speeds) pushing against the antenna. I ended up using epoxy and really torquing the mount down to secure it.

The following is from another CB setup thread.

5. bile

bile New Member

City, State:
    Pa.
    95 ford explorer xlt
    CB antenna mount/steel

Sorry ta bug everyone here,.but I'm trying to figure out what I messed up,...would there be a difference between the STEEL used on professionally made mounts,..and a STEEL bar purchased from a local hardware store and fabricated into a mount.....just trying to eliminate some ideas,...thanks!

6. The DB

The DB Active Member

City, State:
    St. Louis
    2000 Limited SOHC
    Difference in metals will have little difference, unless one is non-conductive, or there is a non-conductive coating on one where it connects to another.

The DB

7. DeRocha

DeRocha NEX Vice President Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Brockton, MA
    '93 XLT 4x4
    If your making your own mount you need to ensure the positive center core doesn't connect to ground in any way. The ball mounts you buy are constructed to isolate the 2.