How to change Instrument Color? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to change Instrument Color?

I have a '91 XLT and I bought a bunch of 194 White LED's to replace the old green behind the gauges. How do I change the color? I have heard that I will need to peel off a green film on the back side of the panel. I have not gotten this far before so I need some pointers! Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ive never tried it, as much as Id like to, im selling mine lol but yeah some say theres a green film to peel off, but then some (alot more) say that its like a glue that you gotta scrape off...

damn, i hope its just a film. thanks man!

Yea, so do I LMAO, (im selling my 92, and then I can get my 95 on the road, im ordering the SMD leds for the 6 main cluster bulbs, the 2 in the ac/heat controls, and about 6 of the main cluster dummy lights, (like the blinkers, check engine, brights, all those little ones) I like the look of LEDs SO much better

Deff get some pics man!
Im pretty sure though that on the 2nd gens it was a paint type of green, I think it was the 1st gens that its a film, just make sure you scrape the excess glue and whatnot off when you take it off :p

That's some good news, yeah ill take some after pics. I also did my headlights, dome and door courtesy lights, and my license plate lights...all White LED's, I think it looks way good.

I would have all that done on mine too (i did all taillights on my 92) but I knew i would be selling it soon, so I didnt, but im doing every single light possible LED on my 95 LOL

They look so much better, like no power, so much brighter, and it makes everything look cleaner, and more "modern"

Yeah for sure! Ill be sure to get some pics up in a few weeks when my new bulbs come. thanks for the reply!

lol alright man, ill probably be ordering mine next week

Back