How to: - How to: Clean the MAF Sensor and the IAC Valve (2002 - 2003) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: How to: Clean the MAF Sensor and the IAC Valve (2002 - 2003)

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

SyberTiger

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited 4x4 4.6L
This thread obviously isn't for those of you with advanced maintenance skills as the following information contains information for a process you've done on at least one occasion. However, in the interest of documenting the process of locating and cleaning the MAF Sensor and IAC valve I've created this thread with pictures and my take on how to clean these two items.

Those of you reading this thread no doubt have experienced some of the following issues with your Explorer: (1) Difficulty starting, (2) Engine dies after starting, (3) Rough idling, (4) Hesitation or stuttering under load or throttle position change, (5) Engine running too lean or too rich. If you've experienced one or more of these problems then this thread may be for you.

With regard to the IAC valve only the 2002 and 2003 3rd generation Explorers have them as a separate item. If you have a 2004 or higher Explorer then ignore the IAC valve cleaning instructions. Feel free to add your experiences with this process.

Cleaning the MAF Sensor

The MAF Sensor in located between the air filter and the intake. To access the MAF Sensor disconnect the electrical connection (green circle), unbuckle the air filter straps (red circles), and loosen the hose clamp (blue arrow).
IAC001.jpg

The MAF Sensor is physically bolted to the air filter cover. There is no reason to unbolt the MAF Sensor assembly from the air filter cover. Simply, pull off the air filter cover with MAF Sensor attached.
IAC002.jpg

With the air filter exposed now is a good time to remove it and inspect it. Change out the air filter if needed and don't forget to vacuum out the lower part of the air filter box to get rid of the sand, dirt, and bugs you'll find in there.
IAC003.jpg

To clean the MAF Sensor purchase a can of cleaner specifically made for cleaning MAF Sensors. Do NOT use carb or intake cleaner or any other solution or you'll damage the MAF Sensor.
IAC004.jpg

The process to clean the MAF Sensor is nothing more than spraying the heck out of the MAF Sensor heating wires. Do NOT touch the sensitive wires with anything or you'll risk damaging the MAF Sensor.
IAC005.jpg

There are two wires within the MAF Sensor assembly. Thoroughly spray down the wires at all angles. Use at least a half can if not more of your MAF Sensor cleaner. Again, be careful NOT to touch the wires. You now have clean the MAF Sensor. Reassemble the components in reverse.
IAC006.jpg

Cleaning the IAC Valve (on 2002/2003 Explorers)

The IAC Valve is access by removing the engine acoustic insulator. Remove the two 7/16" bolts (blue arrows).
IAC010.jpg

There is a plastic hose clamp (blue arrow) that needs to be undone so the hose may be detached from the acoustic insulator. The acoustic insulator may now be removed by grabbing the back corners of the acoustic insulator with a hand on each side then pulling straight up. The rear portion of the acoustic insulator is being held down by two rubber grommets contained in the acoustic insulator sitting on top of two posts. Refer to the picture after this one.
IAC011.jpg

The red arrows point to the previously mentioned posts that the rear portion of the acoustic insulator lock onto. The IAC valve is circled in blue.
IAC012.jpg

To remove the IAC Valve first unplug the hose (green circle). It pulls straight off. Next unplug the electrical connector (red circle).
IAC013.jpg

Next, remove the two 5/16" bolts (blue arrows). With the bolts out carefully remove the IAC valve being careful not to lose or damage the gasket.
IAC014.jpg

The intake side can now be seen.
IAC015.jpg

The intake should be carefully cleaned using Throttle Body and Air Intake Cleaner. Spray it liberally and use Q-tips to clean out the carbon buildup. Clean it first to allow it to air out and dry prior to reassembling the IAC Valve.
IAC016.jpg

With the IAC Valve off. Thoroughly and liberally spray the IAC Valve opening for the intake mount side. Use Q-tips to clean out the carbon and other gunk.
IAC017.jpg

It might take a little patience and time to clean it out.
IAC018.jpg

Next, clean out the hose side of the IAC Valve. Again, liberally spray it out and use those Q-tips to clean it out.
IAC019.jpg

With the IAC Valve nice and clean it is time to reassemble it. The process obviously goes in reverse to remount it. You may want to consider picking up a new gasket from your local Ford dealer. The cost is under $2. If your gasket is in good shape and not brittle then feel free to reuse it.
IAC020.jpg

That's all there is to it. It's not much more difficult than changing the oil. Cleaning the MAF Sensor and IAC Valve every 30K miles or so will help keep your Explorer running in tip-top shape. Hopefully, this simple maintenance procedure cures whatever problem that first brought you to this thread. If not then a new MAF Sensor or IAC Valve could be in your future.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did this not too long ago. Pretty simple to do. Thanks for the write up!

Nice write up. Pics are great help.

I was really happy with the difference that made when I done it a few months back

Nice write up.Thank you.

I agree, very nice write up! :thumbsup:

Assuming everything else is okay, cleaning both the MAF sensor and the IAC Valve are the two huge items that will help to smooth your idle out, especially if your Explorer has over 100,000 miles or so, great thread. Cleaning/replacing my IAC Valve made a huge difference.

Did this yesterday per this awesome thread. The "jumping" at 45-50 MPH that I thought might be tranny issues, the inconsistent takeoffs, and the rough idle are gone. Disconnected the negative cable to clear the CEL, and took a nice Sunday morning cruise to allow the ECM to learn idle, shift spots, etc. Silky smooth.:thumbsup:
You are the man. :salute:

THANK you so much for taking the time for the writeup and the pics.

First time diving under the hood of my 2003 Explorer 4.0 (just bought used a few months ago). This is really helpful.:salute:

Great write up !! Clean MAF ,IAC& throttle body now explorer does not stall ! Explorer would stall after I would shift from drive into park .there was no need sometimes to turn ignition key to the off portion as it would stall and turn off engine.THANKS YOU

Great Write Up I did this a few weeks back. I didn't use half a can but i did spray for about a minute or so and let it air dry for about an half an hour or so. The throttle body is easier to clean with someone in the car. For that i again used the throttle body CRC cleaner. It made it easier to have my girlfriend in the car. Because its drive by wire and not cable it made it easier to spray where i could not wipe and get behind the valve. I'm assuming it can be done with a brick,book or anything else if your creative. :thumbsup:

Excellent write up and pics. I have the 2004 EB with 250k miles & though the MAF is different, the same instructions apply. I also removed and cleaned the throttle body which was very grimey. The rough idle and hesitations are gone. Runs like a champ again. You are my hero too. Thanks for taking the time. Walmart sells a 2 pack set of CRC MAF cleaner & throttle body cleaner for $7. Best 7 ive spent on my Explorer.

Is crc maf cleaner ok to use on the IAC? Just want to make sure before hand. Safe over sorry u know

Back