• Register Today It's free!

How to convert from 2wd to AWD

mjshaw

Reaction score
City, State
Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
Hi. I have a 2000 stock Ford Explorer 2 WD and the front end needs to be totally rebuilt. I am wanting to change the engine to the 5.0L that came in the Mercury Mountainer, and switch it to AWD also from the Mercury. Can this be done? If so, any and all information and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

to start off with the conversion, if you are wanting to do a 5L swap, get a donor truck that already has a 5L AWD the same year as yours. that way everything should be just plug and play for the most part.
this is what you will need for a 5L conversion

the shopping list is
trans
motor
transfer case (unless you want to do a manual 4406, then you would need that case, and different drive shafts)
drive shafts
rad/condenser ***update, 4L SOHC rad/condenser will work***
a/c lines
power steering lines, and cooler
motor harness, and wiring from alt to battery ***update, 4L underhood body harness will mate to 5L motor harness, however, oil gauge wire, and a/c wires need to be modified to work***
throttle cable
trans shifter cable (not sure if i will need it, but hey) ***update, 5r55e cable will work***
air filter box ***update 4L SOHC box, and sensor will work***
exhaust from manifolds to muffler
fuel pump (not sure if needed but.....) ***update, 4L SOHC pump will work***
g.e.m.
p.a.t.s.
key ring around ignition cylinder, and ignition cylinder
computer
cruise motor with cable (or just cable)
evap lines

I would say is easier to sell the truck and buy an AWD...

I already have the motor, ECM, etc. I just wasn't sure what needed to be changed to convert from 2WD to AWD since I have to replace the front end parts any way.

I would say is easier to sell the truck and buy an AWD...

Unless you really enjoy major projects... I'd have to agree.

Back