How to decipher GEM module #'s & letters | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to decipher GEM module #'s & letters

djbazz01

Reaction score
City, State
Macomb, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 explorer 4x2 4.0
Couldn't find a thread showing what the different numbers and letters mean on a GEM module on here. My '95 4door 2wd 4.0 shows a gem of F57B-14B205-BF "F" I figured that the 2nd digit (5) is the year, after that its all Greek to me! I also saw some GEM's listed for 4x4's with all the same except the last two letters, and there are MANY different letters for the last two in existence. I'm primarily interested in knowing what they are for as my power windows do not work and I've troubleshot a lot of things with no results and hoping for a quick fix, and for cheap if I find any that interchange close enough. If searching threads doesn't help I'll post a thread for my window problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure about 4 large letters, so here is the label.
2012-07-26182022.jpg

There should be a 4 digit number in larger numbers on the bar code label. Can you post a picture of your label please?

Are you thinking about the ECM? The GEM doesnt have a 4 digit code, it goes by part number.

(I just happen to have a brand new one for a '96 sitting on my desk.)
0803121428.jpg

help

Yes. I was thinking ECM. My bad.

What numbers are important from the gem label. I am trying to find a cheap gem but I can find one, I found one but the last two letters are different (where it says BA). DO you know if it could work?

What numbers are important from the gem label. I am trying to find a cheap gem but I can find one, I found one but the last two letters are different (where it says BA). DO you know if it could work?

The 1st 2 and the last 2 digits are the important ones.

The first 2 are the year and the last 2 are the revision (or application) number.

Yea I've found many similar to mine on ebay with a year different and all other numbers the same, or all the same but the last 2 digits are a BA rather than a BF. That is why I posted this thread to see if anyone knew what they really mean.

I have another question, Does the fuse box label has to match the gem module label. I was wondering because I just order a new gem with the same info as the older one, but today I was looking at the fuse box and I saw that the fuse box had a different label.

Hmm, so no one knows what #'s may be interchangeable on a Gem? An exact match has been fruitless so I'm pulling straws here, & I don't want to waste money just buying ones that lose key features or cause other problems. Oh, and if anyone can reply with a solid lead or provide a GEM I will zebra stripe this damn thing (inside & some outside) and post pics!

Back