How to disable the 4 wheel drive on a 2007 v8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to disable the 4 wheel drive on a 2007 v8

fugereb

Reaction score
City, State
Shakopee, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 EB 4x4 V8
Trying to effectively disable my 4 wheel drive during my summer driving. Pulling the 4x4 fuse does the trick however, the wrench (check engine) light comes on after starting requiring me to hit reset everytime I drive.

I have heard of the "brown wire mod" on <= 2005 year models but have not seen an illustration as to what, where, or which wire to interupt for a 2006 to 2010 V8. Anyone effectively disabled the 4x4 (front wheels) outside of pulling a fuse?

Why do I want to do this? Annoyed that 4x4 engages 0 - 45 MPH on a hot summer day. You can hear the front end spinning up and mild vibration thorugh the steering wheel. Perhaps someone has a wiring diagram for a V8 6 speed auto.

p.s. the computer, transmission, engine etc. are unique on the 2006 - 2010 V8 model years. Please don't provide information on later models.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The AWD system on the 2007 Explorer is seamless. The front wheels are always driven by the transfer case at a minimum level that will allow 4 wheel speed differential for cornering and other manouvers. The % drive to the front wheels is increased to 40% max as the need (wheel slip) is determined. Here is what the 2007 Ford Workshop Manual says:

"The 4X4 control module varies the torque sent to the front driveline by controlling the transfer case clutch. At rest and under cruising conditions, the 4X4 control module activates the transfer case clutch a minimum duty cycle (percentage of time the clutch is turned on), which allows for the slight difference between the front and rear driveshafts which normally occurs when negotiating a corner on dry pavement."

There is therefore no speeding up of the drive shaft for the front axle, it is always up to speed.

Since you seem not to get the vibration when the transfer case differential is disengaged then the universal joints on the front drive shaft may be a problem since it would not be turning. The constant velocity joints on the half shafts will always be turning so not likely an issue there.

An alternate possibility is a problem with the steering angle (not straight ahead) or in tire diameter (size or wear or pressure). Steering wheel angle is monitored for stability control so the wheel and column must be aligned correctly. Tires must be matched for size and wear, no more that .060" (about 2/32 is OK) difference. The vehicle and roll stability systems monitor ABS wheel speeds and will take action to correct what is perceived to be a problem. The noise you are hearing may be the stability modules and ABS running the HCU motor to power the brake lines and the brake power booster being energised to increase brake line pressure to the master cylinder. The steering wheel vibration may be due to the effects of wheel braking.

Good luck.

I have an 07 V8 4x4 and there is 0 vibration in the steering and you can't hear the 4x4 engage either!

I have read some posts on this forum that highly recommend against the brown wire mod since it damages components. Some brown wire moders have reverted back to stock after reading.

As Town says check your u-joints and bearings etc. Good luck

My 2007 Mountaineer V8 does the EXACT same thing. Slight vibration and whine during acceleration cased by AWD.

Trying to effectively disable my 4 wheel drive during my summer driving. Pulling the 4x4 fuse does the trick however, the wrench (check engine) light comes on after starting requiring me to hit reset everytime I drive.

I have heard of the "brown wire mod" on <= 2005 year models but have not seen an illustration as to what, where, or which wire to interupt for a 2006 to 2010 V8. Anyone effectively disabled the 4x4 (front wheels) outside of pulling a fuse?

Why do I want to do this? Annoyed that 4x4 engages 0 - 45 MPH on a hot summer day. You can hear the front end spinning up and mild vibration thorugh the steering wheel. Perhaps someone has a wiring diagram for a V8 6 speed auto.

p.s. the computer, transmission, engine etc. are unique on the 2006 - 2010 V8 model years. Please don't provide information on later models.

my 2006 has zero vibration from the front end and other than about 2mpg I see no reason to possibly destroy your front end and mess up your trans.

This front end vibration only occurs on V8 Mountaineers and Explorer Limited's. I don't think the XLT V8 has full time AWD.

This front end vibration only occurs on V8 Mountaineers and Explorer Limited's. I don't think the XLT V8 has full time AWD.

fugereb the original poster of this thread used the phrase "4x4" when he was initially talking about his problem.

Town Chimed in and mentioned AWD. I was referring to the initial post.:salute:

The 2006 and 2007 four wheel drive Explorers (V6 and V8) have the AWD system according to my Workshop manual. The 2009 Explorer Owner's manual says the same thing in less detail and technical info. So probably all 2006 through 2010 Explorers have the AWD. Ford call it AdvanceTrac, where AWD is the primary system for the road and 4WD (locked transfer case differential) can be used when additional traction is needed under extreme conditions. The transfer case may be a one or two speed unit.

In Ford's literature they differentiate AWD from 4WD on hard surface operation. AWD is suitable for use on paved roads while 4WD is not suitable for use on dry pavement.

Please for the sake of myself and others show me this "workshop manual" I would love to see ford call what we have AWD. You do realize there are two types of four wheel drive systems correct? Part time 4x4 and Full time 4x4. This does not include AWD. AWD is a system all to its own it is in no way true four wheel drive.

Please for the sake of myself and others show me this "workshop manual" I would love to see ford call what we have AWD. You do realize there are two types of four wheel drive systems correct? Part time 4x4 and Full time 4x4. This does not include AWD. AWD is a system all to its own it is in no way true four wheel drive.

I have created PDFs of the descriptive material and diagnostics for all the 4wd systems used on the 2006 and up Explorer. If you will give me your e-mail address then I will send it to you. It is way too big to post in a thread. You will see in the diagnostics how sensitive the system is to wheel/tire size, tread depth and pressure.

My '74 Blazer was equipped with full time four wheel drive, as was my '78 Jeep CJ7, and my '80 AMC Eagle wagon. A relative's Chev 3/4 ton truck had the part time 4 wheel drive. My son's 1978 3/4 ton diesel custom had a full time four wheel drive system and is now driving a 2007 Ford Explorer EB 4.6 V8 with the AWD and 2 speed torque on demand transfer case. So I do have some experience in driving and repairing vehicles fitted with various four wheel drive systems.

Part time 4wd is not an effective system because the lack of a transfer case differential makes it ineffective in road going conditions where the surface is hard and dry or very slippery. The inability of the system to vary the front and rear axle speeds causes binding through the transfer case that is released by skidding a wheel in the dry or not allowing the vehicle to turn properly in icy conditions.

Full time 4wd with a transfer case differential lockout (and LSD in the case of the Jeep) is a much more effective solution under all conditions.

AWD has been given a bad rap because of the implementation approach by many manufacturers. They intended the system to be primarily 2wd with a slip sensing system that caused the other axle to operate once the drive shaft spun up to speed. Those were terrible systems because they engaged the other axle too late and the primary drive spun away its traction.

Ford's system of AWD in the Explorer is based upon full time four wheel drive with either a fixed torque split or on some models a variable torque split with an option to lock out the transfer case differential altogether. However, the way the system works is that power is always sent to the rear wheels, and up to 40% of torque to the front wheels, so is a significant improvement over full time four wheel drive (minimum 2 wheels are driven versus 1 for open full time system).

Ford includes the torque on demand feature on some models. This includes a variable torque to the front axle, according to traction demands, that is still always driven. These additional features allow the differential to be locked out to increase traction under difficult circumstances. The single speed transfer case uses the message center to lock and unlock the differential. The two speed transfer case uses a dash mounted switch that can lock and unlock the differential while the vehicle is being driven.

Ford's system of AWD in the Explorer is based upon full time four wheel drive with either a fixed torque split or on some models a variable torque split with an option to lock out the transfer case differential altogether. However, the way the system works is that power is always sent to the rear wheels, and up to 40% of torque to the front wheels, so is a significant improvement over full time four wheel drive (minimum 2 wheels are driven versus 1 for open full time system).

Ford includes the torque on demand feature on some models. This includes a variable torque to the front axle, according to traction demands, that is still always driven. These additional features allow the differential to be locked out to increase traction under difficult circumstances. The single speed transfer case uses the message center to lock and unlock the differential. The two speed transfer case uses a dash mounted switch that can lock and unlock the differential while the vehicle is being driven.

so basically we have an overly complicated Fulltime 4WD system that can automatically engage itself correct? I think what has happened here is a misunderstanding on my part. I do apologize .

so basically we have an overly complicated Fulltime 4WD system that can automatically engage itself correct? I think what has happened here is a misunderstanding on my part. I do apologize .

No problem.

A full time system under slippery conditions is a one wheel drive, and the wheel with least traction available to boot. Ford's AWD under the same conditions is a 2 wheel drive, one rear and one front with the least traction available. To achieve this improvement the system is complicated and involves mechanical sophistication with electronic control components. This mirrors the direction of automobile development, complicated but not overly so. Progress seems to be like that.

The next step is to solve the axle differential slip without incurring the penalties of full time LSD or locking diffs for the front and rear axles. That is also going to make the drive system more complicated. But then four wheel drive would actually be true. Until then we are stuck with compromises.

If you want true power to all four corners just buy a tank or a bull dozer :D

You quoted a post by 4x4BlueExplorer, regarding possible problems with use of the Brown Wire Mod (BWM). It appears that this mod intended for 3rd generation Explorers may also work on 4th generation Explorers. Here is the BWM: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194875&highlight=BWM+Brown+Wire+Mod+3rd+Gen that you contributed to that gives various versions of how to add a switch to the brown wire that apparently controls the clutch operation for the transfer case differential.

Post number 49 on page 3 includes the idea that rapidly spinning rear wheels (after the BWM is implemented) would result in a high heat buildup in the fluid. Damage to the clutch and the differential might result. There are a number of similar threads to the one quoted, and people get quite animated. The Ford transfer case fluid is Mercon, now replaced by Mercon V, and this fluid will be damaged by excess heat. Damage to the fluid will eventually lead to damage to components due to the lack of adequate lubrication. Most automotive manufacturer publications warn against spinning the tires in a four wheel drive vehicle because of this oil temperature issue. Perhaps this is what is being referred to.

You have had the mod for about 5 months now, so how does the transfer case oil look and smell? Clear and red should be good but brown and translucent and smelling burned would be bad.

Good luck.

...possible problems with use of the Brown Wire Mod...(BWM).
Post number 49 on page 3 includes the idea that rapidly spinning rear wheels (after the BWM is implemented) would result in a high heat buildup in the fluid. Damage to the clutch and the differential might result. Most automotive manufacturer publications warn against spinning the tires in a four wheel drive vehicle because of this oil temperature issue.

I never did understand why anyone would do a burn out in the first place. If you want to roast your tires why do you own a 4x4 vehicle? It is ment for traction not burn outs. :bsnicker: Brown wire mod = destruction of your rear end and possible trans issues. DON'T DO IT !

Most automotive manufacturer publications warn against spinning the tires in a four wheel drive vehicle because of this oil temperature issue. Perhaps this is what is being referred to.

That is exactly what post #49 is referring to. People thinking that it's ok to do a burnout with a 4WD truck. BWM or not, it's stupid to do a burnout with a 4WD vehicle.

Have not heard of any issues that have been caused by the BWM.

...it's stupid to do a burnout with a 4WD vehicle.

Its stupid to do a burn out regardless. Last time I checked tires aren't free haha. I like to keep my tires on my car not permanently embedded into the road surface.

I'm starting to get vibration in my front end while driving and made a post about it. I thought it was the wheel bearings and plan on replacing the hub assemblies. It actually might be the 4v4 system?
2007 Explorer Limited V8.

Post: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366194

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm starting to get vibration in my front end while driving and made a post about it. I thought it was the wheel bearings and plan on replacing the hub assemblies. It actually might be the 4v4 system?
2007 Explorer Limited V8.

Post: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366194

Have you considered an out of balance wheel/tire for the vibration. A wheel with excess runout would also cause that. Since the vibration is coming from the front you could switch your front and rear wheels/tires to see if the vibration follows.

A wheel bearing that is starting to fail (light marks in the bearing surface) will make a noise similar to a tire drone but different. If the wheel is raised and the calipers backed off then there will be no play in the bearing. If there is play in the bearing it needs to be replaced ASAP. A loose bearing will allow runout and probably cause vibration and noise.

There are constant velocity joints in the axle shafts that may cause noise and vibration. Do you hear a snapping close to full lock?

The front drive shaft has universal joints that can cause vibration if the joints are worn.

Good luck.

Back