How to disable the 4 wheel drive on a 2007 v8 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to disable the 4 wheel drive on a 2007 v8

1,000 miles of motoring and no problems with the 4x4 disabled

Well the cutoff switch is working great. Recently had a foot of snow. Engaged the 4x4 at will no problems. Again I am not doing this to whip cookies. Interstingly I can enable / disable on the fly. The best indication of it being enabled is the 4x4 light will not illuminate when pressed when the cutoff switch is on. Back to dry pavement and back to 2x4!
I was told that if you disable 4x4 on my 2007 ford explorer limited v8 that i would eventually mess up transmission. is this true? i know 2007 explorers are already known to have sucky transmission to begin with and very expensive to replace. is this true?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have created PDFs of the descriptive material and diagnostics for all the 4wd systems used on the 2006 and up Explorer. If you will give me your e-mail address then I will send it to you. It is way too big to post in a thread. You will see in the diagnostics how sensitive the system is to wheel/tire size, tread depth and pressure.

My '74 Blazer was equipped with full time four wheel drive, as was my '78 Jeep CJ7, and my '80 AMC Eagle wagon. A relative's Chev 3/4 ton truck had the part time 4 wheel drive. My son's 1978 3/4 ton diesel custom had a full time four wheel drive system and is now driving a 2007 Ford Explorer EB 4.6 V8 with the AWD and 2 speed torque on demand transfer case. So I do have some experience in driving and repairing vehicles fitted with various four wheel drive systems.

Part time 4wd is not an effective system because the lack of a transfer case differential makes it ineffective in road going conditions where the surface is hard and dry or very slippery. The inability of the system to vary the front and rear axle speeds causes binding through the transfer case that is released by skidding a wheel in the dry or not allowing the vehicle to turn properly in icy conditions.

Full time 4wd with a transfer case differential lockout (and LSD in the case of the Jeep) is a much more effective solution under all conditions.

AWD has been given a bad rap because of the implementation approach by many manufacturers. They intended the system to be primarily 2wd with a slip sensing system that caused the other axle to operate once the drive shaft spun up to speed. Those were terrible systems because they engaged the other axle too late and the primary drive spun away its traction.

Ford's system of AWD in the Explorer is based upon full time four wheel drive with either a fixed torque split or on some models a variable torque split with an option to lock out the transfer case differential altogether. However, the way the system works is that power is always sent to the rear wheels, and up to 40% of torque to the front wheels, so is a significant improvement over full time four wheel drive (minimum 2 wheels are driven versus 1 for open full time system).

Ford includes the torque on demand feature on some models. This includes a variable torque to the front axle, according to traction demands, that is still always driven. These additional features allow the differential to be locked out to increase traction under difficult circumstances. The single speed transfer case uses the message center to lock and unlock the differential. The two speed transfer case uses a dash mounted switch that can lock and unlock the differential while the vehicle is being driven.
hey

So random update. I cut my gray wire w/orange stripe today. Back-story, I just replaced 2 of the 4 tires with a different brand and was concerned that them not all being the same brand would cause issues on an AWD. So figured now would be a good time. Cut the wire. Interestingly though, the "4x4" light will still come on when pressed. I need to somehow test if it really IS, in fact, enabled still.

Update #2 - It would appear that the light will still come on when "4x4 high" is selected. But "4x4 low" will NOT engage. The light on the switch itself just keeps blinking and you can hear a relay continually clicking under the dash trying to engage.

So, for now, it would appear that it's working. Just need to get an in-line switch now. Heading to Disneyland Saturday morning so fingers crossed nothing fry's on the way there :)
does buying only 2 tires rather all 4 mess up a 2007 ford explorer limited v8 4x4 auto? sorry i am a girl and wondering is that could be the reason why my transfer case got messed up.

I have created PDFs of the descriptive material and diagnostics for all the 4wd systems used on the 2006 and up Explorer. If you will give me your e-mail address then I will send it to you. It is way too big to post in a thread. You will see in the diagnostics how sensitive the system is to wheel/tire size, tread depth and pressure.

My '74 Blazer was equipped with full time four wheel drive, as was my '78 Jeep CJ7, and my '80 AMC Eagle wagon. A relative's Chev 3/4 ton truck had the part time 4 wheel drive. My son's 1978 3/4 ton diesel custom had a full time four wheel drive system and is now driving a 2007 Ford Explorer EB 4.6 V8 with the AWD and 2 speed torque on demand transfer case. So I do have some experience in driving and repairing vehicles fitted with various four wheel drive systems.

Part time 4wd is not an effective system because the lack of a transfer case differential makes it ineffective in road going conditions where the surface is hard and dry or very slippery. The inability of the system to vary the front and rear axle speeds causes binding through the transfer case that is released by skidding a wheel in the dry or not allowing the vehicle to turn properly in icy conditions.

Full time 4wd with a transfer case differential lockout (and LSD in the case of the Jeep) is a much more effective solution under all conditions.

AWD has been given a bad rap because of the implementation approach by many manufacturers. They intended the system to be primarily 2wd with a slip sensing system that caused the other axle to operate once the drive shaft spun up to speed. Those were terrible systems because they engaged the other axle too late and the primary drive spun away its traction.

Ford's system of AWD in the Explorer is based upon full time four wheel drive with either a fixed torque split or on some models a variable torque split with an option to lock out the transfer case differential altogether. However, the way the system works is that power is always sent to the rear wheels, and up to 40% of torque to the front wheels, so is a significant improvement over full time four wheel drive (minimum 2 wheels are driven versus 1 for open full time system).

Ford includes the torque on demand feature on some models. This includes a variable torque to the front axle, according to traction demands, that is still always driven. These additional features allow the differential to be locked out to increase traction under difficult circumstances. The single speed transfer case uses the message center to lock and unlock the differential. The two speed transfer case uses a dash mounted switch that can lock and unlock the differential while the vehicle is being driven.
can you email me those pdf files please ? for 2007 ford explorer limited v9 4x4 auto.
email address at catiriarodriguez@aol.com
thank you! =)

I did the grey/orange stripe cut mod to disengage 4wd almost 45k miles ago. No issues with any of the driveline outside of normal maintenance stuff. Fluids are good, no signs of excess wear or breakdown. No crazy noises or issues. To be honest, truck drives and handles better without it. Better mileage, especially driving around town.

To be 100% honest, I firmly believe that the 4wd system slamming "into gear" everytime you take off from a stop is detrimental to the system and its components. In my eyes (and I'm no expert) its the equivalent of dumping the clutch on half of the driveline repetitively. Maybe that is an excessive example, but it can't be good for the components, especially the transfer case. I could see excessive wear of the front driveshaft (propeller shaft, torque shaft, whatever you want to call it) as well as the pinion bearings inside the diff. The front diff is secured to the frame and has no give/flexion to reduce direct wear. That, coupled with the straight on geometry of the front shaft into the u joint actually causes the u-joint to wear out faster as it isn't dissipating the torque force by rolling across the needle bearings but instead is applying all force on only a few of the needle rollers.

Maybe I'm over thinking it.

I did the grey/orange stripe cut mod to disengage 4wd almost 45k miles ago. No issues with any of the driveline outside of normal maintenance stuff. Fluids are good, no signs of excess wear or breakdown. No crazy noises or issues. To be honest, truck drives and handles better without it. Better mileage, especially driving around town.

To be 100% honest, I firmly believe that the 4wd system slamming "into gear" everytime you take off from a stop is detrimental to the system and its components. In my eyes (and I'm no expert) its the equivalent of dumping the clutch on half of the driveline repetitively. Maybe that is an excessive example, but it can't be good for the components, especially the transfer case. I could see excessive wear of the front driveshaft (propeller shaft, torque shaft, whatever you want to call it) as well as the pinion bearings inside the diff. The front diff is secured to the frame and has no give/flexion to reduce direct wear. That, coupled with the straight on geometry of the front shaft into the u joint actually causes the u-joint to wear out faster as it isn't dissipating the torque force by rolling across the needle bearings but instead is applying all force on only a few of the needle rollers.

Maybe I'm over thinking it.
From my original post I have logged 50k miles and still loving my grey / orange wire mod!

This is awesome! I have a '07 4.0L and the AWD clutch in the case engaging at 20mph when decelerating is annoying and it stays engaged when accelerating till you lift your foot off the throttle or hit the 4X4 button and then 4wd auto button..... I am on this forum SPECIFICALLY looking for this info. I am going to put a switch in line with the clutch so I can turn it off unless required.

Thanks!

It's been my understanding (can't remember the source) that not only do the gen4 ('06-'10) V8 and V6 powertrains have different transmissions (6sp and 5sp, respectively), they also have completely different AWD/Auto-4x4 systems.

V6 system use a viscous coupling that always has some torque (I forget how much) running to the front wheels.
V8 system is completely different system, which has zero torque running to the front under normal dry conditions, but engages electronic clutch to engage front wheels on demand. 4th gen systems have no provision (from the OEM) to prevent engagement of AWD/Auto-4x4.

As far as Explorer/Mounty differences, they are the functionally the same, except the Mounty does not have the low range:
Normal mode: Explorer=Auto4x4...Mounty=AWD
When Hi-range-lock is desired, Explorer has a hot-button on the dash. Mounty requires accessing AWD-locked by selection in the dashboard menu system.

And to add to the thebrakeman's post - I have no problems with my Ex drivetrain. This topic always seems to come up for one of three reasons.
  1. I want to do burn outs but I can't
  2. My front wheels keep engaging for no reason
  3. It hurts my gas mileage
For number 1, it's a SUV - stop trying to drive up my insurance costs. Buy a sports car.
For number 2, you either have an actual mechanical problem or you are driving hard on slick roads. Fix the real problem - whichever it is.
For number 3 - you really meant number 1 didn't you.

This is definitely on my to-do list for the Explorer. Not for burnouts, not for the front wheels from engaging for no reason and not really so much for gas mileage, but mainly to have 100% control of my vehicle. I only want 4 wheel drive when I tell it to be in 4 wheel drive. I stupidly didn't do enough research on this aspect when I bought my Explorer. I stupidly assumed that since it had controls for 4 wheel high/low that the 4 wheel drive option was left to the driver (although it says 4 Auto for the 3rd button... shows how much I pay attention). With that being said, this will be almost the last mod I will do to my vehicle which will probably closer to when I have the thing fully paid off. I guess I'm just use to driving my Ranger.

It's been my understanding (can't remember the source) that not only do the gen4 ('06-'10) V8 and V6 powertrains have different transmissions (6sp and 5sp, respectively), they also have completely different AWD/Auto-4x4 systems.

V6 system use a viscous coupling that always has some torque (I forget how much) running to the front wheels.
V8 system is completely different system, which has zero torque running to the front under normal dry conditions, but engages electronic clutch to engage front wheels on demand. 4th gen systems have no provision (from the OEM) to prevent engagement of AWD/Auto-4x4.

As far as Explorer/Mounty differences, they are the functionally the same, except the Mounty does not have the low range:
When Hi-range-lock is desired, Explorer has a hot-button on the dash. Mounty requires accessing AWD-locked by selection in the dashboard menu system.

All 2006-2010 Sport Trac 4.6L V8's have a Borg Warner 4412 regular chain driven "open" style transfer case. Instead of a floor mounted shift lever, the Sport Trac has an electronic shift motor. There is no splitting of front-to-rear %; in high-lock or auto you get a 1:1 ratio; In low, you get 2.48:1. For all the Adrenalin Sport Trac's we to have the same transfer case as the XLT V8 however we don't get any dash buttons. We can go into the message center to select Auto or Locked which really translates to AWD or 4x4 high. I dont even have the option or ability to put mine in low range even though I have all the hardware like you do

-Speed Torque-On-Demand (Adrenalin)

The 1-speed torque-on-demand system utilizes the following components:

• Transfer case
  • Electromagnetic clutch (internal to the transfer case)
  • 4X4 control module
  • Message center, used to select between AUTO and LOCKED modes.
2-Speed Torque-On-Demand (non-Adrenalin)

The automatic 4WDsystem is a 2-speed torque-on-demand design that utilizes the following components:

• Transfer case
  • Electromagnetic clutch (internal to the transfer case)
  • 4X4 control module
  • Mode Select Switch (MSS) , used to select between 4X4 AUTO, 4X4 HIGH and 4X4 LOW modes
  • Transfer case shift motor
  • Encoder assembly (part of the transfer case shift motor)
  • Shift motor sense plate (part of the encoder assembly)

Curious about the 4L bypass as well. I'd just like to squeeze out every MPG as possible in good weather. Even an extra 2mpg is considerable.

Back