Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

how to engage 4WD. 92 Explorer, manual trans, 4X4 button on dash

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by 68bluenose, July 26, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 68bluenose

68bluenose New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      92 Ford Explorer 4.0V64WD
      new member, just joined. I recently purchased my 92 Eddie Baurer Explorer and it did not come with the owners manual. It's the 4.0 L V6 with 5 speed manual trans. I went up to Autozone to get a Haynes manual for it but it's not giving me much advice as how to engage & disengage. It doesn't have the locking hubs like some trucks I've owned. I assume as I'm driving I simply push the button on the dash, correct? To disengage simply depress the button again? If it's not engaging at all, where do I need to look first? Also, I drained the fluid from the power steering pump but it still has a hum/wine sound, is that normal for this Ford? thank you.

Aaron

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 68bluenose

68bluenose New Member

92 Ford Explorer 4.0V64WD
      I'm good. just a few presses of the dash button and it engaged just fine. Must not of tried shifting it into 4WD while in neutral. anyhoo, it works fine now.

4. Mettler

Mettler Active Member

City, State:
      Monroe, WA
      98 exploder sport 4x4
      The 4x4 button can be engaged at any speed up to 55mph. Do not engage while in the power. To engage 4 low, you must be at a complete stop, in neutral, with your foot firmly on the brake and already in 4x4. To disengage, same thing in reverse order. To disengage 4x4 you must reverse direction (with steering in straight position) for 5-10 ft or until you hear "click" on both sides.

If there's ever a problem with the system not functioning properly, these rigs have a genetic problem with a small bushing in the shifter motor on the transfer case. Not a big problem, super easy to fix. Just search it, and the rebuild procedures are so easy a monkey could do it.