how to engage 4WD. 92 Explorer, manual trans, 4X4 button on dash | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to engage 4WD. 92 Explorer, manual trans, 4X4 button on dash

68bluenose

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Ford Explorer 4.0V64WD
new member, just joined. I recently purchased my 92 Eddie Baurer Explorer and it did not come with the owners manual. It's the 4.0 L V6 with 5 speed manual trans. I went up to Autozone to get a Haynes manual for it but it's not giving me much advice as how to engage & disengage. It doesn't have the locking hubs like some trucks I've owned. I assume as I'm driving I simply push the button on the dash, correct? To disengage simply depress the button again? If it's not engaging at all, where do I need to look first? Also, I drained the fluid from the power steering pump but it still has a hum/wine sound, is that normal for this Ford? thank you.

Aaron

I'm good. just a few presses of the dash button and it engaged just fine. Must not of tried shifting it into 4WD while in neutral. anyhoo, it works fine now.

The 4x4 button can be engaged at any speed up to 55mph. Do not engage while in the power. To engage 4 low, you must be at a complete stop, in neutral, with your foot firmly on the brake and already in 4x4. To disengage, same thing in reverse order. To disengage 4x4 you must reverse direction (with steering in straight position) for 5-10 ft or until you hear "click" on both sides.

If there's ever a problem with the system not functioning properly, these rigs have a genetic problem with a small bushing in the shifter motor on the transfer case. Not a big problem, super easy to fix. Just search it, and the rebuild procedures are so easy a monkey could do it.

Back